HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 27, 2011, 09:28 PM
Gone Flying.
Western NY
Joined Nov 2006
2,401 Posts
Mini-Review
Turnigy Monster Beatle Review - Awesome Little 4WD Buggy

Owned exactly zero RC cars as of a month ago (my collection includes plenty of RC planes and heli's), but found this little buggy - the Turnigy Monster Beatle - at HobbyKing and it looked like a good deal for $70, considering it was a 4WD buggy powered by a brushless motor w/25A ESC. I also lacked a decent 3CH pistol-grip Tx for cars, so I bought the HK-300 2.4Ghz Ground Radio for under $20 bucks at HobbyKing, can't beat that price, and the radio works well and feels great (I pulled the 8AA battery compartment and used a 2600mAh 1S LiPo instead).

Took it out of the box on arrival, was packaged very nicely. Only initial modification I made was to threadlock and CA some screws as per the recommendations within the included instruction manual. I pulled the battery posts to make extra battery room as I own a couple dozen 3S 2200mAh LiPo's. I figured that I'd try 3S even though the Monster Beatle was advertised to run on 2S, might as well give it a shot.

A couple clicks of steering trim and the Monster Beatle was driving like it was on rails, also needed to turn the throttle trim down as the Monster Beatle literally took off like a rocket even with the slightest throttle trigger. I bet this thing was hitting speeds of over 30mph at full throttle.

The suspension does a great job of keeping the buggy on the ground even when cruising around at fast speeds and cranking the wheel to make it spin out, it's a blast. I've had over 30 runs with it now, I get nearly 25-35 minutes of solid run time from a charged 3S 2200mAh 25C LiPo pack, which is excellent, especially for someone accustomed to planes that have a max flight time of 7-10 minutes.

There was one caveat, however, on 3S you do need to be careful on the throttle. After 10-12 minutes of cruising around at fairly high throttle, the ESC and motor would nearly burn your finger when touching them. The Monster Beatle needed a Monster Heatsink. Unfortunately the motor is sort of cramped in there, but the ESC was ripe for a heatsink modification. I pulled off the plastic ESC case and stock heatsink (which was really small), and pulled a big CPU heatsink off an old Xbox motherboard. Used a combination of thermal paste and RTV silicone on the corners to really lock the heat sink down to the stock 25A ESC. Used a large 18" zip tie that happened to fit perfectly over the area where the ESC and Rx were mounted.

Now the ESC doesn't even get warm no matter how long I cruise around, but the motor still heats up into the 150-175F range. The motor is mounted to a metal plate, so I may try to run some metal from the large CPU ESC heatsink to the metal motor mount to bleed off more heat into that main heat sink, not sure how effective it would be, or if it would work. As long as I limit my fun to 10 minutes or so, the motor does get hot but not hot enough to toast it.

Overall the Turnigy Monster Beatle was a great investment, it's an excellent first off-road RC buggy and obviously suited well for someone who lacks RC car experience (like me). It handles best on paved surfaces, but short grass or gravel is perfectly fine for the Monster Beatle, it can get through most terrain easily with its rugged tires and 4WD drive system. Definitely a great buy at $70 + shipping (HK US warehouse now has the Monster Beatle in-stock!).
ChrisWNY is offline Find More Posts by ChrisWNY
Last edited by ChrisWNY; Jul 27, 2011 at 09:39 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 27, 2011, 11:22 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Thanks for the write up. I have one on the way this week with 2S 1700 lipos. I hope to have it setup with an FPV 900 mhz before the end of the week. The challenge will be to get cool air over the video gear, but keep it from getting creamed in a roll over.
cactus is offline Find More Posts by cactus
Old Jul 28, 2011, 09:55 AM
Gone Flying.
Western NY
Joined Nov 2006
2,401 Posts
@cactus - it's actually a challenge to roll the Beatle over on a paved surface, but if you're speeding along off-road at full throttle, anything is possible. Your best bet might be to put the video gear inside the Beatle if it fits, cut out the windshield and a vent in the rear of the canopy and that should allow some airflow over the video gear, as well as the ESC and motor inside the Beatle. It's a great little buggy, you'll like it.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 09:46 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Got some laps in with mine and it is fast on 2S! I noticed it is making a clicking sound from the drive train, so I have to figure that out before I drive it much more. Nice little rig.

Edit: The clicking was from the steering servo when the travel was too far. I dialed it back with my digital trims and its running great.

I put my video gear on it and cruised around the basement. In stock travel, it is way to jumpy and fast for precision driving via FPV, so I'm going to make a second model memory for it and make all the travel adjustments max out at walking speed. This will be the setting I let my 6 year old try!
Last edited by cactus; Jul 28, 2011 at 11:57 PM.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 12:42 AM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
I had my steering servo go out yesterday while my son was cruising around on the reduced throttle travel setting I have for him. I had a Hitec HS-81MG servo lying around that fit perfect. This little thing is FAST on 2S.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 05:31 PM
globemaster
USA, CA, Cypress
Joined Jun 2008
1,462 Posts
I just got mine, boy this is FAST and a lot of fun. I can do back flips on my shoes!!! (NOTE: when flying my planes, sometimes an observer will request me to do a "backflip", my answer is always that I am too fat to do that and by doing a backflip I would lose control of my plane and probably crash, of course they want me to do a loop, but I dunno exactly what they mean...)
NOW I can make my little car DO backflips, this beetle is amazing, I ordered a bunch of replacement parts for it (incredibly inexpensive) just in case, not to be left stranded ...

I FULLY recommend it to anyone who wants to have some fun and not break the bank on a mini revo ...
nicoyenny is offline Find More Posts by nicoyenny
Old Aug 10, 2011, 05:37 PM
Gone Flying.
Western NY
Joined Nov 2006
2,401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactus View Post
I had my steering servo go out yesterday while my son was cruising around on the reduced throttle travel setting I have for him. I had a Hitec HS-81MG servo lying around that fit perfect. This little thing is FAST on 2S.
That's good to know - I actually have a spare HS-81MG so if the steering servo breaks I'll have a good replacement. I'm still running on the stock steering servo, no issues so far.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 01:17 PM
globemaster
USA, CA, Cypress
Joined Jun 2008
1,462 Posts
QUESTION:
What bodies fit this truck?
HK does not show replacement shells, and it would be nice to have a custom body for it ...
Old Aug 11, 2011, 02:57 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoyenny View Post
QUESTION:
What bodies fit this truck?
HK does not show replacement shells, and it would be nice to have a custom body for it ...
I was about to post the same question, looking myself. I want a second body to house FPV gear on so I can swap them out.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 01:15 PM
globemaster
USA, CA, Cypress
Joined Jun 2008
1,462 Posts
bodies? anyone?
Old Sep 07, 2011, 01:30 AM
Joined Sep 2011
25 Posts
Good read, Im buying one of these next week.

I thought I would sign up and give you guys the link to the body shells as the info here helped me out.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ell_110BS.html

They are on backorder so it might take a few weeks to get one.

Also the Kyosho Mini Inferno body shells fit, as well as the wheels, oil shocks and many other interchangeable parts.
ezarc is offline Find More Posts by ezarc
Old Sep 07, 2011, 03:41 PM
globemaster
USA, CA, Cypress
Joined Jun 2008
1,462 Posts
Thanks!
I just noticed they are listing the shell, too bad it's backordered
Old Sep 07, 2011, 07:25 PM
Gone Flying.
Western NY
Joined Nov 2006
2,401 Posts
@ezarc - Thanks for noting the interchangeability with the Kyosho Mini Inferno, I'm sure that will be good to know for spare parts in the future!
Old Sep 08, 2011, 03:04 AM
Joined Sep 2011
25 Posts
Turnigy just released a new on yesterday, apart from the obvious it shares all the same parts with the Monster Beatle.

1/16 Brushless 4WD Racing Buggy w/25A System

ezarc is offline Find More Posts by ezarc
Old Sep 08, 2011, 10:22 AM
Gone Flying.
Western NY
Joined Nov 2006
2,401 Posts
Other than the tires and chassis, it looks identical internally to the Monster Beatle. I would've had to use a much smaller heatsink with that chassis...