HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Jul 27, 2011, 07:52 PM
Joined Oct 2006
12 Posts
Help!
How to start an engine that has sat for a long time?

I just moved into my new house and found my old plane in storage. It hasn't been flown in years. I found it had actually had the elevator crushed off of in while in storage. Now that I have more space I plan on getting back into the hobby again.

My question is, I have an O.S .40 LA that I would like to get running again. I believe it is still freed up and not frozen. What should I do before I try to run it again. What needs to be cleaned?
Hasersys is offline Find More Posts by Hasersys
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 27, 2011, 08:27 PM
USA, IL, Benton
Joined Jan 2005
385 Posts
Heat from your monocoat heat gun first. A little fuel down the carb and glowplug hole. Maybe some Kroil or other good penetrating oil. I would not use WD-40 unless that was all I had and definitely would not recommend taking it apart. Taking it apart would be the last resort.
Fred.
Red Raider is offline Find More Posts by Red Raider
Old Jul 27, 2011, 08:45 PM
Joined Oct 2006
12 Posts
Thanks, I figure it can't take much to get it back running.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 09:13 PM
Joined Jun 2011
1,532 Posts
If it turns freely, just start it like you normally would. There is nothing wrong with WD-40.
datsunguy is offline Find More Posts by datsunguy
Old Jul 27, 2011, 10:14 PM
Joined Oct 2006
12 Posts
I am used to these bigger engines, motorcycle, boat, car, that I need to remember they aren't as complicated. When should glow plugs be changed? Hopefully I can have a stand built for this thing and have it running in a couple days.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 03:32 PM
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Jun 2002
2,970 Posts
The likely hood of rusted bearing, etc is high. But provided it turns freely, or you can free it with some penetrating spray, OR let it sit in a spare crock pot full of antifreeze for a few hours, which is what i'd do.

It takes nothing more ot get it running now that it ever did. I would check your fuel lines & tank to make sure they didn't gum up if you didn't get all the fuel out.

Def after you run it pump the tank dry & liberally put some after run in it.
Toysrme is offline Find More Posts by Toysrme
Old Jul 28, 2011, 07:02 PM
-insert witty saying here-
United States, CT, Killingworth
Joined Dec 2005
1,831 Posts
OS LA series is a bushing engine - no bearings to rust.

Drip some fuel down the carb and into the glow plug hole. rock it back and forth, it'll loosen up eventually. A little heat will help the process. Once she's spinning free and the carb barrel rotates, you are ready to fire it off.
Hemikiller is offline Find More Posts by Hemikiller
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 28, 2011, 07:06 PM
Cromer,Norfolk, UK
Joined Nov 2006
2,505 Posts
Don't put an electric starter on it until you've tested it is nice and free by hand...
MCarlton is offline Find More Posts by MCarlton
Old Jul 28, 2011, 08:21 PM
moreno valley california
Joined Jun 2008
305 Posts
hemikiller +1....really shouldn't be a big deal.
koppterX is offline Find More Posts by koppterX
Old Jul 28, 2011, 09:21 PM
Joined Oct 2006
12 Posts
I haven't had time to grab it yet. My so called "better half" thinks her stuff(Clothes) are more important. Not that it matters my new garage is full of boxes at the moment.

I checked it a few months ago and I could turn it by hand still. I am sure there is gunk in the fuel lines and tank. Best product to clean tank with?

I am off to find some good engine stand builds.. Never had one and I could leave it on the plane, but I am not keeping the plane I think. So I would like to get it running before venturing into a new plane, or rebuilding my old one.

Oh, and thanks to everyone for the quick help. This is turning out to be a very informative forum. Excuse me if I have my terminology wrong, it has been a while.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 06:44 PM
Joined Oct 2006
12 Posts
Got it, It is turning. A little tough, the old fuel inside is a bit on the OLD side to say the least. I put a cap on the carb like I always had before storing thankfully. It has some bad residue inside it. There was a cat where I had it stored and the fur is all over the thing. I am afraid to use anything on it. What is safe to clean it with. What is safe for the plastic parts, but good to clean it with? From the looks of it, and feel once it is heated up, and the outside is clean I think it will be ready to go again. I am replacing the fuel lines even though they look good, and the fuel tank has old fuel in it. I just need to clean it up now. What is the best way to clean old fuel from inside the tank?

A before pic.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 12:18 AM
Joined May 2004
675 Posts
You could start with warm water, dishwashing detergent and a toothbrush on the engine. Rinse the inside of the engine with a bit of glow fuel, then oil it with ATF or similar.

jess.
Jessiej is offline Find More Posts by Jessiej
Old Jul 31, 2011, 08:22 AM
Joined Oct 2006
12 Posts
Last night I used windex and a tooth brush. The carb is also freed up now aswell. I think I may find a crock pot and make an antifreez .40 soup.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 10:26 AM
Florida
Joined Aug 2004
4,138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by datsunguy View Post
If it turns freely, just start it like you normally would. There is nothing wrong with WD-40.
Not so, WD40 is a water dispersant and rust remover, not lubrication. If you have any rust in the engine from setting around, the WD40 will do a good job of turning it into a scouring powder that will accelerate the wear in the engine--not a good thing. If you ever get WD40 into your engine, be sure to flush it all out well and replaced with a lubricating oil before running it. Use any air tool oil or other good oil to flush it out with.
Rodney is offline Find More Posts by Rodney
Old Jul 31, 2011, 01:09 PM
I am 5' 8" the Taube is 7' 4"
USA, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Jan 2008
617 Posts
Hasersys
The best thing to clean out the fuel tank is straight Alcohol. Do not use Rubbing Alcohol as it contains at least 30% Water. Look on the same shelf in a Drug Store and you should find Denatured Alcohol, (91 to 96% Alcohol) that is what you want to use. Put some in the tank and shake it around. Draw the Alcohol back out and if not clear use some more clean Alcohol and do it again until it comes out as clean as it was going in.
Clancy
Clancy Arnold is offline Find More Posts by Clancy Arnold
Closed Thread