HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 30, 2011, 04:40 PM
Brandon Mississippi/Independence Kentucky
Joined Oct 2000
590 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by piperjoe View Post
Sure sounds like a bargain to me, too, Ralph. Actually, it would be great to have Flying Aces, American Modeler and other "long gone" model magazines in a DVD format.

Soft landings,

Joe
I understand that Roland is working on producing additional digital archives on DVD. I'm sure it will be a while and I don't know what might be offered next. I do know he has complete collections of Flying Models and Air Trails.

Ralph B
Ralph B is offline Find More Posts by Ralph B
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 31, 2011, 12:51 AM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,418 Posts
If you still feel that $75 is a lot for a couple of DVD's I'd suggest that you stop and consider how many boxes 295 issues would fill up. Maybe then the $75 will seem a bit more tolerable. Now consider sitting and scanning 35,000 pages. I'd say that $75 should now seem like a true bargain.
BMatthews is online now Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Jul 31, 2011, 09:28 AM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2009
1,722 Posts
What I really like about the DVD idea, is the ability to quickly find a subject per the index and bring it up on the screen for its desired purpose. It would also be nice to have a DVD library of all the old magazines to pass on to the grandchildren. In the past I subscribed to all the available model airplane magazines and Bruce is spot on as to the huge amount of space required for storage. Gave those magazines away by the shopping bag full in the '90's just because of the storage issue. I think Roland's doing a real service here and it has to be looked on as a labor of love.

Soft landings,

Joe
piperjoe is offline Find More Posts by piperjoe
Old Aug 01, 2011, 12:52 AM
NSWFFS
Richmond NSW Oz
Joined Apr 2005
706 Posts
Someone in the UK was scanning Aeromodeller mags and doing CDs by the year. I wound up with a copy of 1960 and would love to have more, they are a brilliant resource.

Cheers,
Rob
McGiver is offline Find More Posts by McGiver
Old Aug 01, 2011, 07:57 AM
"Butchering Balsa since 1971"
USA, TX, McKinney
Joined Dec 2003
1,056 Posts
Ordered mine Saturday, will give you an update soon.
CashRC is offline Find More Posts by CashRC
Old Aug 05, 2011, 10:03 AM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2009
1,722 Posts
Okay, I received the 2 set Model Builder Magazine DVD this morning. Arrived in great condition after about 1 week. I have not had time to look over too much of the presentation yet though have given the first disk a good going over. WOW! Talk about a trip backward in the "wayback machine". It was nice to see photos of those who inspired me onto model aircraft projects...and, some of them were sure young back then. All in all the set will provide many hours of enjoyable reading and entertainment though I found I did have to adjust the PDF scale size up a bit for reading clarity. This is by no means a fault...my eyes are getting older. As for plan use: a number of the plans could be scaled up only so far and then the linework was less than favorable. Some of the plans were fine to use. Depends alot on how the plan was published, I guess. Yes, I was a bit disappointed with this aspect but the overall offering of plans, features, photos, advertisements and all more than satisfy me as to the purchase. Was it worth the $75? I think so.

Soft landings,

Joe
Old Aug 05, 2011, 09:21 PM
slow but inefficient
Riverhead NY USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,097 Posts
There have been some complaints about the quality of the scans and the layers (photoshop?) that have been introduced to the reproductions. It also seems that the plans are incomplete in that they are missing parts so that one would have to buy plans from Roland who would then be competing with Bill Northrop, the former publisher of Model Builder and his retirement business of selling plans from the magazine.

There have also been complaints that the later issues were scanned sloppily.

It would be interesting to hear more about this.
Ron Williams is offline Find More Posts by Ron Williams
Old Aug 06, 2011, 07:21 AM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2009
1,722 Posts
Actually, Ron, you bring up a good point. My first reaction was that the scans could have been reproduced at somewhat better quality, especially some of the plans which are rather light, with others being somewhat dark. After taking another extended look at the first DVD of the set my take is that it's a good reference for articles and plan instructions, photos, etc. It may not be such a good source of scaleable plans for building models. And, with the plan sales question in mind, I'm sure the DVD set wasn't intended to directly compete with Bill's retirement plan business. If I was to come across a model design that was of high interest and the DVD plan could not be used I'd just order the plan from Bill.

Soft landings,

Joe
Old Aug 06, 2011, 10:35 AM
Ochroma Lagopus Tekton
Blackstock, South Carolina
Joined Sep 2007
1,829 Posts
What kind of models are we talking about here? Is there a good spread of different types, or do they tend to concentrate on just a few "categories"?

I'm assuming from nall the talk of "Ye Olde Days" that many of them at least are woodies.
Fly Wheel is offline Find More Posts by Fly Wheel
Old Aug 06, 2011, 11:33 AM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2009
1,722 Posts
Model Builder magazine was known for offering a large choice in model projects, from pattern to pylon, free flight, boats and misc. projects. Something for everyone sort of thing with lots of wood models. If you are familiar with Flying Models magazine and the older Model Aviation offerings than you have a good handle on Model Builder. Bill Northrup did a nice job keeping the magazine interesting with lots of diverse construction articles and topics.

Soft landings,

Joe
Old Aug 06, 2011, 12:48 PM
Ochroma Lagopus Tekton
Blackstock, South Carolina
Joined Sep 2007
1,829 Posts
Unfortunatly, no. I just started in the - um - hobby (is it right to call it that? ) four years ago. so "Ye Good Olde Dayz" as far as publications are concerned are all behind me..
Fly Wheel is offline Find More Posts by Fly Wheel
Old Aug 06, 2011, 02:52 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2009
1,722 Posts
Welcome to the hobby of model aircraft! I believe where the real value of this DVD set lays is in the presentation of vintage/historical information pertaining to the model airplane sport. Model Builder started in late 1971 and, in addition to articles of the time, often presented "redraw" plans of vintage free flight models and such along with historical information written by various columnists. Therein is what you'd really be getting for your $75 outlay. If you are interested in real model construction information and plans that are not ARF related then it could be of real interest. Many of us today do not have the storage space required for these older magazines nor do we want to pay the very inflated prices for the opportunity to have a few of the magazines. The DVD set gives us the memories, information and minimal storage solution.

Soft landings,

Joe
Old Aug 07, 2011, 05:01 AM
Scott R/C Time Pilot
NorthBend/Coos Bay,Oregon USA
Joined Dec 2009
1,492 Posts
Well said Joe, thank you.

Most of us grew up modeling before ARF planes. If you wanted a model you had to build one, either scratch building or a kit. Almost all of us in the Vintage & Old-Timer Designs thread choose to build over "Almost Ready to Fly" models.

For me, I get a kick out of building and flying a vintage airplane from bits of, wood sticks and paper.

Scott
orange&white is offline Find More Posts by orange&white
Old Aug 09, 2011, 09:26 PM
"Butchering Balsa since 1971"
USA, TX, McKinney
Joined Dec 2003
1,056 Posts
Got my DVD set today. and it's well worth it..haven't looked at the plans too closely, but some of them look good enough to print in a smaller scale..I know this will keep me busy for a while..
CashRC is offline Find More Posts by CashRC
Old Aug 10, 2011, 07:10 AM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2009
1,722 Posts
I've now gone through the first two years worth of articles on the DVD set and have to admit to a mixed bag of thoughts. I ran off the plan index sheets so I could make up a running chart on whether or not the plan can be used. Many of the plans so far are light line images, almost to the point of being lighter than the surrounding pages. I can scale to about 300% before the image becomes too fuzzy to use. Many plans so far are possible to use for building, but, as Cash states, most probably at a smaller scale. Also, I've been a bit let down on the photo quality as many pics are quite dark. Still, I've really enjoyed the DVD set so far and I'm looking forward to many hours of reading and fond memories. I still believe the purchase was worth the asking price and hope we will see more vintage model magazine DVD offerings in the future. As they say..."That's all folks!"

Soft landings,

Joe