HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 26, 2011, 10:52 PM
Joined Feb 2011
23 Posts
Discussion
Gopro Videos 60fps 720p

Question Guys,

Why does everyone shoot their gopro fpv videos at 60fps 720p? Maybe this is a simple question but I can't seem to figure it out. Reason Im asking is I am anxiously awaiting my kk control board in order to build a tricopter and I plan on using this tricopter for a fpv platform. Just curious if I can get away with purchasing a Gopro HD 960 and still produce the quality videos that I see on the internet and at the same time use this as my fpv camera.
Thanks all for your help and input
Dave
DavidIvanowich is offline Find More Posts by DavidIvanowich
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 26, 2011, 10:59 PM
Oh so close!
Campbell River
Joined Jan 2010
702 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidIvanowich View Post
Question Guys,

Why does everyone shoot their gopro fpv videos at 60fps 720p? Maybe this is a simple question but I can't seem to figure it out. Reason Im asking is I am anxiously awaiting my kk control board in order to build a tricopter and I plan on using this tricopter for a fpv platform. Just curious if I can get away with purchasing a Gopro HD 960 and still produce the quality videos that I see on the internet and at the same time use this as my fpv camera.
Thanks all for your help and input
Dave
One of the very cool things about shooting 60fps is slowing your footage down to 50% speed and you still have 30fps footage and it looks AWESOME. Ever seen 30fps footage in slow motion at 15fps? Looks AWFUL!!

Also, by slowing your footage down you can smooth out minor bumps and jiggles.

Here's one of my vids. Every clip is at 50% speed:

RC Flying Over Campbell River Spit with the GoPro Hero HD (6 min 31 sec)
clipper99 is offline Find More Posts by clipper99
Old Jul 26, 2011, 11:06 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2005
5,376 Posts
I noticed the 1080 mode had a bit of noise in it. Then the video editing software I use only does 720 for mp4's. The only two major reasons why I use the 720 setting on mine..

The 60fps is nice for slow motion when I watch planes fly by mine, it's more a novelty.

If I buy a backup GoPro, I'll probably get a 960 and set it to 720.
typicalaimster is offline Find More Posts by typicalaimster
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I was bored
Old Jul 26, 2011, 11:10 PM
Oh so close!
Campbell River
Joined Jan 2010
702 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by typicalaimster View Post
I noticed the 1080 mode had a bit of noise in it..
You know, I was going to post something like that sometime soon. I did an R5 mode video a couple days ago for the first time and it had more vibration and looked almost out of focus in a few areas. R3 is the best IMO.

cheers
clipper99 is offline Find More Posts by clipper99
Old Jul 26, 2011, 11:27 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2005
5,376 Posts
I should mention that R3 gives me coverage from wingtip to wingtip. Giving me close to 180 degrees of coverage without having to move my servo 180 degrees. Just a personal preference. Using R5 I don't see my wing tips. It's probably a few degrees short.

Most of this has to do with the FoV settings the camera has.

I noticed the camera likes to focus on objects it sees when you hit the shutter button. So if you have your arm or something directly in front of the camera when you hit the shutter button.. It's locked to that focal length. I started aiming my GP out into the field, then reach behind and hit the shutter.. This has resulted in videos that are a bit more in focus for distance shots.
typicalaimster is offline Find More Posts by typicalaimster
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I was bored
Old Jul 26, 2011, 11:43 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
29,117 Posts
GP doesn't have variable focus. It might be an exposure or white balance thing.
The only time I get "blurry" GP videos is when the lighting is bad and overly contrasty,
typically flying low under heavy overcast skies.

FoV in R5 mode is 127 degrees, and 170 degrees in R3.
I can't stand the bendy horizon at the wider FoV. The level of noise from
the sensor will be the same at 1080p and 720p, but with the latter it is
probably scaled down and blended with the neighboring pixels. In other words
you'd get the same effect taking the 1080p video and scaling it down to 720p in
post processing.

ian
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Daemon; Jul 27, 2011 at 12:03 AM.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 11:46 PM
Canada, AB, Lac La Biche
Joined Aug 2010
1,968 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by typicalaimster View Post
I should mention that R3 gives me coverage from wingtip to wingtip. Giving me close to 180 degrees of coverage without having to move my servo 180 degrees. Just a personal preference. Using R5 I don't see my wing tips. It's probably a few degrees short.

Most of this has to do with the FoV settings the camera has.

I noticed the camera likes to focus on objects it sees when you hit the shutter button. So if you have your arm or something directly in front of the camera when you hit the shutter button.. It's locked to that focal length. I started aiming my GP out into the field, then reach behind and hit the shutter.. This has resulted in videos that are a bit more in focus for distance shots.
I never even thought of that, I thought the camera was just set on x setting and that was it. If that is really how the camera focuses then that might explain why some of my videos seem blurry to me, since I usually have my face in the camera making sure I'm in the right mode etc. just before I hit the shutter.
Glenstr is offline Find More Posts by Glenstr