HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 26, 2011, 05:04 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,675 Posts
Help!
Looking for best route: On Road car 1/16 - 1/10 scale

Hey guys, I want to get a touring type pn road car to play around with at a really nice road course here in Houston.

I am just getting back into cars for the first time in 15 years. I am an airplane junkie so I have the chargers for electric, plus the fact I don't want to mess with nitro to begin with.

I am really interested in getting a car that has a brushless setup or a kit I can setup for $300-400 total.

I am looking in the 1/16 to 1/10 range.

So far the best I can find is the Associated TC4 and the Traxxas Ken Block Fiesta. I definitely want to use lipos and Possibly drop a Spektrum DX3C in as well. Still seems cost effective to get a RTR though????

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXMGP9&P=ML

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXARKX&P=ML

Parts is a big deal, so I want to make sure they are easily accessible.

Any thoughts on these cars?? Others??

Also, I would definitely change out the tires for foam on the Fiesta. Not interested in the drifting thing. I need some road course huggers.

I hope this is enough info to get me pointed in the right direction.

Thanks
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 26, 2011, 05:31 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined May 2008
2,574 Posts
For RTR, the Sprint 2 Flux is probably the best you can get. The TC4 is a nice car but the brushed system it comes with is not great.

The fiesta is nice but I don't think it handles as well as either the TC4 or Sprint 2 Flux.

Personally, I prefer kits but they are getting harder to find unless you're a Tamiya fan or go really high end.
Druss is offline Find More Posts by Druss
Old Jul 26, 2011, 05:58 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,675 Posts
thanks for the input. I checked it out, looks cool. Price is good too.

I like that it is 1/10 scale. The bigger the better as far as handling.

Do you know which lipo it would take? Also, are their parts easy to get? Will they be around for a few years to come?

Looks like this sprint 2 flux comes with a cheaper radio which might make it easier to go get a spektrum TX/RX to drop in it.

Any other differences here?

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ustang-GT-Body

I have also been told to stay away from belt driven cars if I plan to run them on other pavements other than a clean track.
Last edited by johnnyrocco123; Jul 26, 2011 at 06:11 PM.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 06:05 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,675 Posts
Also concerned about the mickey mouse 2.4ghz Tx's these cars come with.

I would love it if there was a great brushless car that came BND

Then I could go get a nice spektrum radio with all of the programming that I am used to.

It would also be nice to be able to set up another car later on the same radio.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 07:18 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined May 2008
2,574 Posts
Most of the hardpack 2S lipos that you can get for cars will fit anywhere a 6 cell nicad/nimh pack will. If you're trying to use softpacks from your planes you can find the dimensions of a typical 2S hardpack to compare it with.

HPI is one of the big brands, I don't think they'll ever disappear. As a note, that brushless system is the same as the mamba max system from castle creations, just private labelled by HPI.

All RTF tx's suck, as I'm sure you know from your planes. Losi makes BND vehicles for spektrum radios but their on road cars aren't the greatest, their off road are much better.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 09:04 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,675 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Druss View Post
Most of the hardpack 2S lipos that you can get for cars will fit anywhere a 6 cell nicad/nimh pack will. If you're trying to use softpacks from your planes you can find the dimensions of a typical 2S hardpack to compare it with.

HPI is one of the big brands, I don't think they'll ever disappear. As a note, that brushless system is the same as the mamba max system from castle creations, just private labelled by HPI.

All RTF tx's suck, as I'm sure you know from your planes. Losi makes BND vehicles for spektrum radios but their on road cars aren't the greatest, their off road are much better.
Yep, I already looked into Losi. I've heard I should look into OFNA. I will do that tonight.

What about belt drive vs. shaft drive?
Old Jul 26, 2011, 09:37 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined May 2008
2,574 Posts
Ofna are ok for off road but I don't think they even make a 1/10 scale on road electric. I have one of their 1/8 nitro buggies I converted to electric though.

For anything but a smooth track, either off road or on road, you probably want shaft. Belt is actually better at transferring power and has smoother response but unless the entire power train is covered (like the tamiya durga) you can get rocks stuck between the belt and gear which can cause the belt to jump off.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 11:43 AM
Mad Basher
Joined Jul 2011
157 Posts
I agree with getting the Sprint 2 Flux. I've heard it's a great car and it's completely waterproof. Rain won't stop you. Also it's real fast. I don't know if you could use lipo but you could find that out yourself. It's brushless and 4wd. RTR straight out of the box.

Here for more info: http://www.hpiracing.com/kitinfo/106159/
PureTen is offline Find More Posts by PureTen
Old Jul 29, 2011, 12:24 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,675 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureTen View Post
I agree with getting the Sprint 2 Flux. I've heard it's a great car and it's completely waterproof. Rain won't stop you. Also it's real fast. I don't know if you could use lipo but you could find that out yourself. It's brushless and 4wd. RTR straight out of the box.

Here for more info: http://www.hpiracing.com/kitinfo/106159/
Yes, the new HPI Sprint 2 Flux is the car I have decided on. It should hit Tower hobbies by early September. After a lot of research, I found this was the best deal for a RTR Brushless 1/10 scale car.

In the meantime I am getting the 1/16 Ken Block Fiesta to drive. When I get my 1/10 scale car I will give my son the Fiesta.

Also looking at Spektrum radios. DX3C or DX3S?? Anyone using spektrum, What are the main differences?

I don't want to spend more than $150 for a radio.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 12:29 PM
Mad Basher
Joined Jul 2011
157 Posts
Well I think the DX3C would be a better choice mainly because it is a 100 bucks cheaper. The DX3S is around 230. I would recommend going with a Futaba. I've used a Futaba transmitter with my Kyosho and it's great.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 01:02 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,675 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureTen View Post
Well I think the DX3C would be a better choice mainly because it is a 100 bucks cheaper. The DX3S is around 230. I would recommend going with a Futaba. I've used a Futaba transmitter with my Kyosho and it's great.
It's only $20 more for the DX3S. You are thinking of the telemetry version, don't need that.

I am just trying to figure out the difference between the two, main differences.

I also notice you get a 3ch receiver with the DX3C.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 01:07 PM
Mad Basher
Joined Jul 2011
157 Posts
If there really is no main difference then obviously go with the cheaper one. Well good luck and have fun with your Sprint 2 Flux!
Old Aug 17, 2011, 11:27 PM
Joined Aug 2011
57 Posts
check out nitrorcx.com they have great 1/16 scale cars that are priced really good! and 1/10 scale rc cars also some 1/10 come with brushless but the 1/16 to upgrade brushless are so affordable !- ruben
RubenDelatorre12 is offline Find More Posts by RubenDelatorre12
Old Aug 18, 2011, 01:15 AM
Omnipote
Louisville, KY
Joined Apr 2001
665 Posts
The HPI Sprint2 Flux is a nice car but the Traxxas 1:16 cars are better.

They definitely handle better and they have several battery options to match your "needs".

I'm not sure that an HPI Sprint2 Flux will be any faster than a Traxxas 1:16 brushless with 2 3s LiPos. And you will be in for a bad surprise when you find out that open belt drives like the Sprint2 have a nasty habit of picking up grot in the pulley.

No offense to nitrorcx.com but RC cars are all about parts support. Check out their parts support and shipping charges for 3-5 year old cars.
stone_axe is offline Find More Posts by stone_axe
Old Aug 18, 2011, 06:30 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,675 Posts
Well I bought a 1/16 Traxxas Fiesta. It's cool, lots of fun but to race and for a little bit more stability on the track I am going to need a 1/10 scale brushless.

The Sprint 2 Flux is the only 1/10 scale, brushless, RTR under $400

If there are others out there I would love to see one???

BTW, I prefer shaft drive but like I said, the HPI model is the only one in the market that I know of.