HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 04, 2003, 12:51 PM
Pinehurst, NC
Joined Aug 1999
778 Posts
Rob Smith's E-Sport 8

Two months ago Rob Smith made me an offer I couldn't refuse. He sent me a short kit (ribs, formers, and other cut parts) of his new design in return for me building it and flying it with an honest appraisal of what I thought of the airframe.

I have finally progressed in this project so that I can post some pictures and share my enthusiasm for how well this model is turning out. I apologize to Rob for taking this long but summer's activities (flying and golf) take some priority with me when the weather is nice.

For those not familiar with this design, it is a featured plan in the August 2003 issue of Quiet Flyer magazine, and Rob has posted his experience to the E-Zone in a separate thread:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...threadid=99536

I have built the model as designed with the exception of the landing gear. Mine will have a fuselage-mounted set of polished aluminum gear. I am excited that the plane is nearing completion and will give you a few shots of the airframe.

The wing is a fully symmetrical tapered cord featuring a nice and rigid D-tube construction method. The ailerons are barely tapered as well and run out to the wingtip.

Gary
GaryK is offline Find More Posts by GaryK
Last edited by GaryK; Jan 30, 2004 at 03:56 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 04, 2003, 12:57 PM
Pinehurst, NC
Joined Aug 1999
778 Posts
Ailerons

The ailerons are built-up as part of the wing structure, then cut out and faced with 1/16" balsa once the proper bevel has been established on the underside. Mine will be operated by individual HS-81 wing-mounted servos.
Old Sep 04, 2003, 12:59 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Golf ?????

Watch it, Gary - this is the top of a slippery slope.

The wing isn't even on the top of this sleek baby pattern bird

Next thing, you'll be flying four point rolls and muttering about computer coupling rudder, ele and aileron to get pure knife edge flight ... You;ll even start flying fast in straight lines - that always causes confusion where you hang out

Seriously, nice looking little model. I've got this issue in my standby conference facility just for this plan. Good luck with it, I shall be keeping an eye out around MD's many dedicated electric only sites for it to appear

Regards

Dereck
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Sep 04, 2003, 01:27 PM
Pinehurst, NC
Joined Aug 1999
778 Posts
Fuse and Gear

The fuselage is light and strong, with a great big hatch for battery and motor access.

BTW, I'm planning to stick with the 8-cells that this model is designed for, but have a new AXI 2814/10 for the pulling that can swing a 10x6 prop direct drive at 35 amps or so. The motor fits in the nose without breaking a sweat and there is plenty of room to route the motor wires away from the rotating can.

That's all for today.

Gary
Last edited by GaryK; Sep 04, 2003 at 02:48 PM.
Old Sep 04, 2003, 01:32 PM
Pinehurst, NC
Joined Aug 1999
778 Posts
Thanks, Dereck. You'll really like the hatch on this baby; it is 11 inches long and you could park your station wagon inside. I'm still looking at a way to remove the wing, but that cut can't be made until the wing is slid into the slot square to the fuse.

I'm hopeful that this AXI will perform as well as the SkyVolt's.

Gary
Old Sep 04, 2003, 03:29 PM
HobbyKing
Hong Kong, Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong
Joined Apr 2001
4,443 Posts
Gary,
You're gonna love this plane. Rob had me fly his for a while for some testing and I have to say, it was a sad day when it left.

I can't wait to hear what you think of it.

--Paul
Paul Susbauer is offline Find More Posts by Paul Susbauer
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 04, 2003, 04:28 PM
Pinehurst, NC
Joined Aug 1999
778 Posts
Paul:

So far, I am very impressed with the light yet strong structure that resulted from the design. I know that Rob had you put it through the paces and that you were pleased.

As long as it "goes where you point it," like Rob says it should, I will be happy, because I should have "way too much power," and that makes it "just about right," according to Ed Lyerly.

I just finished engineering the attachment of my tailwheel to the rudder, and should be covering the tailfeathers next. Now that I've started this thread, I'm obligated to keep it coming, so I should be finishing sooner than had I not.

Gary
Last edited by GaryK; Sep 04, 2003 at 04:31 PM.
Old Sep 04, 2003, 06:43 PM
Colfax, WA
Joined Oct 2001
622 Posts
Gary,

Looks good. I like the looks of your fuse mounted gear!

Rob
a2zprod is offline Find More Posts by a2zprod
Old Sep 04, 2003, 07:41 PM
Pinehurst, NC
Joined Aug 1999
778 Posts
Tailwheel

Rob, I decided to take your advice and mounted the tailwheel directly to the rudder itself. The bracket enters a groove on the bottom of the rudder and is covered by a piece of hard balsa, then turns north along the leading edge of the rudder and enters the rudder at 90 degrees for about an inch. It will be supported both by the CA'd fiberglass tape that is already under the covering and the bracket of the control horn, that will sandwich the wire in the reinforced area of the rudder. Hopefully, that will hold for the tarmac take-offs and landings.

So far, so good.

Gary
Last edited by GaryK; Sep 04, 2003 at 08:38 PM.
Old Sep 04, 2003, 08:26 PM
Tullahoma, TN
Joined Jul 2000
986 Posts
What's that? Covering! Looking good, Gary! Tailwheel in the rudder should work fine.

You made a lot of progress today. Can't wait to see how she turns out and how she flies!

Eric
EricBjorn is offline Find More Posts by EricBjorn
Old Sep 04, 2003, 10:22 PM
Colfax, WA
Joined Oct 2001
622 Posts
Gary,

That is how I mounted my tail wheel and after 50 plus flights, with take offs and landings from grass and blacktop, it is holding up fine.

Yellow is my favorite color. I have tried to be a little diverse lately because my wife has gotten tired of one yellow airplane after another.

Rob
a2zprod is offline Find More Posts by a2zprod
Old Sep 04, 2003, 11:29 PM
USA, NC, Greenville
Joined Dec 1999
9,271 Posts
Gary It's looking good.
Rob, Any idea when to expect my package ? (Not a short kit ! , For all you wanting one.)
Kevin Murray is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Murray
Old Sep 05, 2003, 09:22 AM
Recruiter - 60 Amp Club
Rutherfordton, North Carolina, United States
Joined Apr 2001
5,941 Posts
Thanks for your post Gary . This is going to be one great looking bird !! As Dereck has mentioned, this is a slippery slope you are traveling .
Keep the work going and the pictures coming .... excellent work so far !!
Ed
Ed Lyerly is offline Find More Posts by Ed Lyerly
Old Sep 05, 2003, 11:39 AM
Pinehurst, NC
Joined Aug 1999
778 Posts
Slope

Thanks for the encouragement, guys. I hope to get more accomplished this weekend and will get some additional pictures up that may be of interest.

Ed, I thought the "slippery slope" Dereck was referring to was a side-hill lie after it rained. Now I get it.

Gary
Old Sep 21, 2003, 12:24 PM
Pinehurst, NC
Joined Aug 1999
778 Posts
Removable Wing Mod

I've been pondering the practicality of a fixed wing airframe of this size in my fleet and, given my propensity to "hangar rash" my favorite planes, I have decided to modify Rob's design to allow for a removable wing.

This has taken a lot of thinking, fitting, rethinking, and refitting on my part, which accounts for some of my delay at this stage of the build. We did have a hurricane come through these parts (some would call this "building weather") and I have been somewhat distracted but finally have this together enough to post.

With the covered wing slid into the wing saddle opening, I envisioned the bottom fuselage portion of the wing saddle removed and attached to the wing bottom. I would then secure the wing and it's attached fuselage section to the remainder of the fuselage with two screws that end in blind nuts inserted into reinforcing blocks epoxied to the wing bottom. This will allow the wing to be attached from the hatch, through the hatch floor. My landing gear will attach to the center fuselage section on the wing bottom.