Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 26, 2011, 04:17 PM
Joined Jul 2011
6 Posts
Discussion
Esky E-500 Double Co-Axial RC Helicopter

First off, I'm a real beginner with no r/c helicopter experience. I was thinking of starting with the Syma S107 to have some fun and learn with indoor flying. I then saw the Esyy E-500 at a local hobby store and wonder if this helicopter might also be easy to fly as beginner, since I could also use it outdoors.

Thanks,

Joe
JoeM. is offline Find More Posts by JoeM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 26, 2011, 04:48 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,348 Posts
The Syma 3 channel helis don't use the standard channel assignments and are much to slow and tame to teach you anything. Simply for fun, they are fine. The large ESky coaxes are much better for learning how to fly. I've always felt they were a good place to start, because they have weight and mass that provides a realistic feel you don't get from the tiny helis that don't weigh anything. Unless any coax is modified pretty extensively, it's only good for very calm outdoor conditions.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Jul 26, 2011, 04:57 PM
Joined Jul 2011
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
The Syma 3 channel helis don't use the standard channel assignments and are much to slow and tame to teach you anything. Simply for fun, they are fine. The large ESky coaxes are much better for learning how to fly. I've always felt they were a good place to start, because they have weight and mass that provides a realistic feel you don't get from the tiny helis that don't weigh anything. Unless any coax is modified pretty extensively, it's only good for very calm outdoor conditions.
Thanks for the advice!
Old Jul 26, 2011, 06:05 PM
United Kingdom, England, Liverpool
Joined Mar 2009
1,654 Posts
I think the E-500 is a bit more obscure than the Esky Big Lama though. You might want to consider a Big Lama, there's probably more parts available for it.
Microbaba is offline Find More Posts by Microbaba
Old Jul 26, 2011, 06:37 PM
Joined May 2005
1,113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Microbaba View Post
I think the E-500 is a bit more obscure than the Esky Big Lama though. You might want to consider a Big Lama, there's probably more parts available for it.
It's the same thing. The only difference is the landing skids and the body.
GetterDragun is offline Find More Posts by GetterDragun
Old Jul 26, 2011, 07:04 PM
Joined Jul 2011
6 Posts
I read in some other threads that Esky may/may not be continuing to manufacture helicopters. The website Eskyhelicopters.com seems to have a good supply of parts for the E-500. Should I be concerned at all on future parts availability?
Old Jul 26, 2011, 08:47 PM
Joined May 2005
1,113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeM. View Post
I read in some other threads that Esky may/may not be continuing to manufacture helicopters. The website Eskyhelicopters.com seems to have a good supply of parts for the E-500. Should I be concerned at all on future parts availability?
No people in that thread are just spreading false information in order to promote a brand that they like best.
GetterDragun is offline Find More Posts by GetterDragun
Old Jul 26, 2011, 09:17 PM
Joined Jul 2011
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetterDragun View Post
No people in that thread are just spreading false information in order to promote a brand that they like best.
That's good to know.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 02:25 AM
Professional heli wrecker
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Oct 2010
4,161 Posts
The Bol has a dedicated following here in the coax section. Good guys. And that heli will take you where you need to go until you decide to move up into cp helis. It can also be highly modded.
Luvmyhelis is offline Find More Posts by Luvmyhelis
Old Jul 27, 2011, 09:26 AM
VT
Joined Feb 2006
2,159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetterDragun View Post
-I disagree. I've known many of the posters on that thread for years and many of them have flown Esky models. That thread is for folks who own or have owned or are interested in getting Esky products, and who are wondering about the status of the company. I know the guy who started the thread, and for sure his purpose wasn't to promote anything...
elan is offline Find More Posts by elan
Old Jul 27, 2011, 12:05 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,348 Posts
I disagree, too. I have made several postings in that thread, as I have a couple of ESky helis and parts have become a concern. The bottom line is as long as there are one or two reliable sources, it's all I need for any heli. I'm not looking for new models.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 02:12 PM
Joined Jul 2011
6 Posts
Besides extra blades, what would be other important parts I should have on hand?
Old Jul 27, 2011, 03:58 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,348 Posts
The most significant thing you can do would be to purchase an extended inner shaft to significantly reduce blade strikes. Find the BOL topics in the coax forum.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 04:04 PM
Joined Jul 2011
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
The most significant thing you can do would be to purchase an extended inner shaft to significantly reduce blade strikes. Find the BOL topics in the coax forum.
Thanks.