HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by headshot001, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 08:12 AM
United States, GA, Dalton
Joined Oct 2009
289 Posts
Discussion
My RC History

At around 14 years old, my dad had the ideal of buying me an RC Airplane for Christmas one year. I had been around airplanes a little as my uncle was a private pilot and also an airplane mechanic, he bought airplanes and refurbished them and then sold them. There was a small hobby shop in town then and we went over to look. I ended up with a Hobbico Avistar .40 size airplane, a Fox .40 engine, and all the accessories along with a Futaba AM 4 channel radio. We took it home and put it together over several days and I flew it once- right into the ground. I went through several more airplanes that I bought before giving up.

In the fall of 09, I was surfing online and saw a picture of a CMP Cesnna 182. That thing was beautiful and the most scale airplane I had ever seen and is still the most scale airplane that I have seen since from my point of view. I got excited and studied about rc airplanes alot.

I ended up with a SLOV V from Parkzone, but due to me not understanding much about flight, I tried to fly it in too small an area and too much wind. I got discouraged with the Slow V but ended up with a HobbyZone Supercub. I flew the Super Cub successfully and was probably the most excited I had ever been about anything in my life!! I had tried to get help learning to fly, but never seemed to be able to get my schedule coordinated with anyone. Everything I have learned in the past several months has been self taught without an instructor or a flight simulator.

I can handle an airplane and do basic rolls, loops, and some inverted flight. I have had a great time with RC, and if the weather is bad I am working on a new arf, rebuilding an old one, or spending TOO much time on the internet reading about new ones and trying to learn everything about electric systems and gas motors. All my current fleet of about 6 are electric.
I would like to have a stable high wing with gas/glow and a smoke system eventually.

My current fleet is 2 Eflite Taylorcrafts ( which are my most favorite out of all the planes I have had), An Eflite RV9, Parkzone P47, CMP Clipped wing cub, and a Hobby Zone Super Cub. I have crashed several others and recently sold my ultra micros too.
I have an Eflite Cessna 150 ordered, and I would like to have a Parkzone micro 4 channel 3d/aerobatic model. My airplane after that will probably be a Seagull .90 size Decathlon with smoke.
headshot001 is offline Find More Posts by headshot001
Last edited by headshot001; Sep 21, 2011 at 11:09 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 28, 2011, 11:28 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,628 Posts
I would love to come check out that clipped wing cub sometime. I have always liked CMP models, but have not built one yet; how was the build? About how many hours did you put into it?

I am in Ga as well, do you fly any of the club fields? I am a member at Stone Mtn RC and I fly out at Dunwoody RC Club, hope to see you around.

Bradley
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nice Pic
Old Sep 21, 2011, 11:13 PM
United States, GA, Dalton
Joined Oct 2009
289 Posts
Wow, Sorry, I did not realize you made the post about the Cub until today. I currently fly at a large field next to a school. I live in Dalton, Ga ( north ,GA). I would like to travel to a different field, I am going to look up where you fly to see where you are. The CMP Cub went together well and is well built except for the vertical stabilizer, which I beefed up. It is well worth the money and the CMP cubs are the same as the Hobby King 63" cubs too.
headshot001 is offline Find More Posts by headshot001
Old Sep 22, 2011, 10:30 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,628 Posts
Poke around in here, I can usually be found at any of the local clubs

http://www.rcgroups.com/atlanta-area-rc-158/
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nice Pic