SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 29, 2011, 12:35 PM
Extremely Twisted
United States, NH, Epping
Joined Oct 2005
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Semeraro View Post
That's interesting? I have my Edge setup reversed. With 225's in the wings, and 5245's in the tail..
It's always been my experience with planes in this size that the first surface you see blowback on is the ailerons, so they got the strongest servos. No blowback so far on the rudder or elevator.

It depends on the style of flying, as well. Tyler and I like to do high speed rifle rolls, whereas someone who is flying just 3D would probably be fine with 225's everywhere.
cwojcik is offline Find More Posts by cwojcik
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 29, 2011, 12:36 PM
United States, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Oct 2008
1,577 Posts
Just what the doctor ordered

Detailed and precise instructions-Just what I needed. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin View Post
With the HS85MG in the tail, you have to be careful not to get the Edge tail heavy. It was designed for the HS65MG, and when you add the weight of the HS85MG to the tail, you have to push that battery way up there to get the CG right. That's why I would suggest using the 85MG just on the elevator.

The 65MG is just fine on the rudder. Just don't bang it on the ground.

Back to the 85MG on the elevator, you will have to enlarge the servo opening. Before you remove the HS65MG, first mark the fore/aft location of the output shaft on the fuselage with a sharpie. When you cut the opening, make sure the output shaft of the 85MG sits in the same plae, fore/aft wise. Otherwise your pushrods might not be long enough or might be too long.

You will also have to relieve the servo opening a little vertically, so drop the servo downwards. This will allow the use of the big Durbo servo arm without it hitting the bottom of the stab.
Trill is offline Find More Posts by Trill
Old Nov 29, 2011, 12:38 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,227 Posts
Doc Austin is online now Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old Nov 29, 2011, 12:54 PM
Team Extreme! Team Twisted!
Columbia SC
Joined Feb 2005
4,332 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trill View Post
Doc Austin, Daniel Holman, and others recommend the HS 85MG for the elevator on the 48" EXPs.

JWilliams recommends the Airtronics 94809s for the 48" EXPs. I have the Airtronics 94809s on all control surfaces on a 48" Vanquish and the precision and feel are phenomenal.
I love the speed and feel of those 94809s. They are a great servo but I have melted or stripped every one of those I have had in a 48" EXP. I'm not the only one either. Several of us had the same issues at SEFF this year.

Couldn't imagine a better servo for the Vanquish though!

For 48"s I have been running the HS65s with an 85 or JR 368 on elevator.

I'm going to try some Savox or JR all the way around on the next one.
hercdriver7777 is offline Find More Posts by hercdriver7777
Old Nov 29, 2011, 12:59 PM
Some.. call him Tim...
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2008
6,351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irg View Post
Tim I noticed that all the 65mgs I get back from hitec have a short lifespan when used in the rudder especially. I've been banging on all my 65s for two years now and some have been back and forth to hitec a few times. I finally decided to get a brand new set ro see if they last a little longer.
That's a good point, but these EXP's are very demanding when it comes to servo's. The 85's seem to be whats needed in the back of the 48" planes, but running two in the tail of a MSX will cause a tail heavy plane.

Im looking to try a new rudder servo in the 48's. Maybe Ill try the JR's?
Ducati Mechanic is offline Find More Posts by Ducati Mechanic
Old Nov 29, 2011, 01:25 PM
USA, OR, Carlton
Joined Aug 2009
178 Posts
The Torque motor is back in stock. Mine just shipped!! Will go into the RWB Extra as soon as it gets here...

Martin
baumerm is offline Find More Posts by baumerm
Old Nov 29, 2011, 02:55 PM
Facts, Logic, 3D
Florida
Joined Nov 2010
3,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin View Post
Back to the 85MG on the elevator, you will have to enlarge the servo opening. Before you remove the HS65MG, first mark the fore/aft location of the output shaft on the fuselage with a sharpie. When you cut the opening, make sure the output shaft of the 85MG sits in the same plae, fore/aft wise. Otherwise your pushrods might not be long enough or might be too long.

You will also have to relieve the servo opening a little vertically, so drop the servo downwards. This will allow the use of the big Durbo servo arm without it hitting the bottom of the stab.
I use the Savox SH-0255MG in my elevator on my 48" Edge and it works great! 54 oz/in of torque, 0.13 sec, digital, and $33.

--Tom K.
Tom K. is offline Find More Posts by Tom K.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 12S on the 3DHS 74" Edge 540
Old Nov 29, 2011, 03:11 PM
Joined Oct 2008
1,577 Posts
Tom,

How does the Savox SH-0255MG hold up to the not so perfect harrier landings? IOW, how does the Savox handle 3D abuse?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
I use the Savox SH-0255MG in my elevator on my 48" Edge and it works great! 54 oz/in of torque, 0.13 sec, digital, and $33.

--Tom K.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 03:24 PM
Facts, Logic, 3D
Florida
Joined Nov 2010
3,585 Posts
I've been using them since June and I haven't had a problem. I dragged my Extra's elevator through some tall grass once and ripped the elevator off and the servo survived.

--Tom K.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 29, 2011, 03:26 PM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,174 Posts
So, Getsome,have you got some more time on your airframe since you last flown it?Sometimes it takes a little getting used to an airframe before it slides into perfection.It took me a few flights to learn what the mxs likes and dislikes as far as my sticks and cg goes.And how my flying style does with the plane.Now I love it.
Just remeber,whatever you change,be it cg,thrust,underwear,whatever,you have to retrim for upright,level flight..I have gotten myself in trouble and in a circle of uh oh by forgetting to retrim for level and upright flight after making a change lol..As far as all the how to's most of them will work,but some may have some cost for another aspect of flying the plane.I have washers behind the motor on my mxs,but the thrust angle was changed a bit by an unexpected nose cone landing when i was new .
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Nov 29, 2011, 03:41 PM
Facts, Logic, 3D
Florida
Joined Nov 2010
3,585 Posts
Quote:
be it cg,thrust,underwear
Lol!

--Tom K.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 29, 2011, 03:55 PM
Joined Oct 2008
1,577 Posts
Going forward peacefully

Tom wrote:

"I've been using them since June and I haven't had a problem. I dragged my Extra's elevator through some tall grass once and ripped the elevator off and the servo survived."

--Tom K.

Tom,

Thanks for the recommendation on the Savox servo.

Doc and Tom,

Thanks for the help on the 48" Edge. But we don't want to offend or upset anyone on the 60" Extra EXP thread. So, let's take any additional discussion on the 48" Edge EXP to the EXP Owners thread or the 48" Edge EXP thread.

Wisdom from the east says, "What's the best way to treat an enemy? Make him a friend!"

Manta,
Thanks for keeping the 60" Extra EXP thread on track.

Manta wrote: "So, Getsome,have you got some more time on your airframe since you last flown it?Sometimes it takes a little getting used to an airframe before it slides into perfection.It took me a few flights to learn what the mxs likes and dislikes as far as my sticks and cg goes.And how my flying style does with the plane.Now I love it.
Just remeber,whatever you change,be it cg,thrust,underwear,whatever,you have to retrim for upright,level flight..I have gotten myself in trouble and in a circle of uh oh by forgetting to retrim for level and upright flight after making a change lol..As far as all the how to's most of them will work,but some may have some cost for another aspect of flying the plane.I have washers behind the motor on my mxs,but the thrust angle was changed a bit by an unexpected nose cone landing when i was new ."
Old Nov 29, 2011, 05:26 PM
Some.. call him Tim...
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2008
6,351 Posts
Power combos in stock!

Curtis just posted in the 60" Edge thread that the power combo's are back in stock.

Also the next container of airframes is due around new years..
Ducati Mechanic is offline Find More Posts by Ducati Mechanic
Old Nov 29, 2011, 05:54 PM
They Call him Dead!
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
7,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hercdriver7777 View Post
I love the speed and feel of those 94809s. They are a great servo but I have melted or stripped every one of those I have had in a 48" EXP. I'm not the only one either. Several of us had the same issues at SEFF this year.

Couldn't imagine a better servo for the Vanquish though!

For 48"s I have been running the HS65s with an 85 or JR 368 on elevator.

I'm going to try some Savox or JR all the way around on the next one.
So you melted them in the ailerons as well? Did you melt/ strip from just regular use that had nothing to do with hitting the ground (yes I know this is sort of a stupid question )That is disconcerting seeing as I have three of them on my 48"...
YellowJacketsRC is offline Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC
Old Nov 29, 2011, 06:21 PM
Team Extreme! Team Twisted!
Columbia SC
Joined Feb 2005
4,332 Posts
I believe Daniel and Donatas stripped a couple in flight at Seff before I got there. Mine just got hot from flight after flight of hard flying at Seff. We were burning pack after pack all day. The reasons we do that at those fly-ins is because 1, we love to fly these planes and 2, we like to find the setups that will hold up to the most abuse so we can share them with customers.

Your servos will be fine if you let them cool off every few packs. those ATX servos are some of the best performers you can put in a 48. Fast, precise and smooth. The downside is that if you are going to work them hard they need to cool off.
hercdriver7777 is offline Find More Posts by hercdriver7777