Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 26, 2011, 10:31 AM
United States, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Oct 2008
1,573 Posts
Now that I have the 60" Extra EXP, do you recommend getting the 48" Extra EXP for thrashing like a red headed stepchild or the 78" Extra 300 for raising like the crown prince? Or should I just get both? I'm still selecting the components for the 78" Extra 300.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin View Post
The little Extra is smoother than the little Edge, so I suspect the big Extra will be smooth like butter.
Trill is offline Find More Posts by Trill
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 26, 2011, 11:23 AM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trill View Post
Or should I just get both?
Yes.

Quote:
Now that I have the 60" Extra EXP, do you recommend getting the 48" Extra EXP for thrashing like a red headed stepchild.
I wouldn't quite recommend thrashing the 48" Extra, but I certainly encourage you to fly it hard. I like these planes so much that I have quite a bit of reverance for them.

Of course, I say that and then I go out and thrash mine, but it's not like a $100 airframe that I don't care about. I fly it really hard, but I love it, and when I crashed my blue one it was nauseating. I really loved that plane, but now I have three of them flying and a kit in progress.

Even though these airframes are the best value on the market, they are still $179, and they are so nice that I just don't feel right being careless with them. I do fly them extremely hard, but I am also working really hard on getting more precise and more smooth. The Extra in particular is so smooth that it really looks good when flown smoothly and precisely, and we all want our flying to look better.

We have video in the can from yesterday and I got pretty nuts with my 48" Extra, probably more than I ever have with an Extreme Flight plane before (Mantra made me do it). We are just having a bit of trouble co-ordinating schedules, plus Manta is really here to see doctors and get well, so that has to come first.

Quote:
or the 78" Extra 300 for raising like the crown prince?
Yeah, that kind of money I suggest you fly a little more carefully. I had a 65" plane last year and all I could think about the whole time I was flying it was how much money I had in it...that and how much potential damage it could do.

I wasn't going to get another big plane, but the idea of how smooth a 60" Extra EXP would be is simply irresistible. I know it's going to be smoother and more precise than the 60" edge, and the thing was off the hook awesome.
Doc Austin is online now Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old Oct 26, 2011, 11:45 AM
United States, GA, Cumming
Joined Feb 2004
2,304 Posts
Looking good with that 60" Edge Doc! Can't wait for you to get your 60" Extra in the air and get it dialed in to your liking, I know some awesome videos will come from that!
EXTREME FLIGHT is offline Find More Posts by EXTREME FLIGHT
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 26, 2011, 07:03 PM
TEAM EXTREME!
High Prairie, WA
Joined Nov 2007
1,713 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trill View Post
Now that I have the 60" Extra EXP, do you recommend getting the 48" Extra EXP for thrashing like a red headed stepchild or the 78" Extra 300 for raising like the crown prince? Or should I just get both? I'm still selecting the components for the 78" Extra 300.
Both! If you're only going to get one though, bigger is better.
danielph is offline Find More Posts by danielph
Old Oct 26, 2011, 07:08 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EXTREME FLIGHT View Post
Looking good with that 60" Edge Doc! Can't wait for you to get your 60" Extra in the air and get it dialed in to your liking, I know some awesome videos will come from that!

Thanks. That Edge is off the scale. I can hardly imagine how smooth the extra is going to be.

BTW: Any Pantera news?
Doc Austin is online now Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old Oct 26, 2011, 07:35 PM
Joined Oct 2008
1,573 Posts
2011 XFC and a big new Extra

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielph View Post
Both! If you're only going to get one though, bigger is better.
Perhaps I'll just wait for that beautiful red, yellow and blue electric 90" Extra EXP prototype to become available! You looked to be flying it to the win until the battery ejected on you. What happened?

What can you tell us about the 90" Extra EXP? If the discussion is better on the EXP Owners thread, please go there.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 09:31 PM
TEAM EXTREME!
High Prairie, WA
Joined Nov 2007
1,713 Posts
Yeah, that was a bummer. The Velcro strap decided that 97 G's was too much. LOL The plane flies more like a 100cc airplane and is simply amazing in precision and 3D! It feels as light as a 40% in 3D and is just way too easy to fly.
danielph is offline Find More Posts by danielph
Old Oct 26, 2011, 10:16 PM
Joined Oct 2008
1,573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielph View Post
Yeah, that was a bummer. The Velcro strap decided that 97 G's was too much. LOL The plane flies more like a 100cc airplane and is simply amazing in precision and 3D! It feels as light as a 40% in 3D and is just way too easy to fly.
"and is just way too easy to fly" is just what I needed to know! It will be my first "big" plane. The biggest I've flown so far is 60" wingspan.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 10:24 PM
United States, OR, Molalla
Joined Oct 2010
460 Posts
That really was great flying. I thought that was the 70" this whole time. What kind of flight time do you get on a ????mah battery? Whatever size you use.
jlloyd1995 is offline Find More Posts by jlloyd1995
Last edited by jlloyd1995; Oct 26, 2011 at 10:30 PM.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 10:36 PM
Chester NJ
Joined Nov 2005
256 Posts
Those of you that haven't flown "big"planes 50-100cc.They will put most small planes to shame! They fly much smoother then the smaller planes. But I must say that the 48"-60" EXP planes fly so freeking well compared to what was out there years ago! The flight envelope on the EXP line is crazy stupid. Thinking on getting a 60" Extra and selling my 88" Edge and getting the 100cc Extra to replace it. I'm totally spoiled with my 110"EF Yak. To me the 100cc is where its at!

Daniel,your flying still amazes me everytime I see it!

Frank
xtraflyr is offline Find More Posts by xtraflyr
Old Oct 27, 2011, 01:57 AM
Chicago, IL
Joined Nov 2009
2,988 Posts
Just in case someone needs a 6s motor for the Extra 60".

$75.00 shipped for a new motor, same spec as the Torque 4016.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1529103

Vien
vienquach is offline Find More Posts by vienquach
Old Oct 27, 2011, 03:49 AM
Some.. call him Tim...
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2008
6,346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtraflyr View Post
Those of you that haven't flown "big"planes 50-100cc.They will put most small planes to shame! They fly much smoother then the smaller planes. But I must say that the 48"-60" EXP planes fly so freeking well compared to what was out there years ago! The flight envelope on the EXP line is crazy stupid. Thinking on getting a 60" Extra and selling my 88" Edge and getting the 100cc Extra to replace it. I'm totally spoiled with my 110"EF Yak. To me the 100cc is where its at!

Daniel,your flying still amazes me everytime I see it!

Frank

What!!! don't do that frank!! You grove with that 88"!!!

If you do decide to sell? Let me know first!! I might have to make the jump to gas for that one!
Ducati Mechanic is offline Find More Posts by Ducati Mechanic
Old Oct 27, 2011, 06:35 AM
Cosa Nostra EXP
Desio (MB - Italy)
Joined Apr 2007
325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Semeraro View Post
My 60" Extra Video..

http://youtu.be/e70zKPsdG44

Thanks Chris!

Thanks Guys! If you like that one, just wait untill you see this!

Chris Jewett Flys the 60" Extra!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8wrQ3h86rs
Tim, your video is awesome. You're growing some skills indeed!

Chris J is playing another game...

Great stick time guys.

Exsocio is offline Find More Posts by Exsocio
Old Oct 27, 2011, 07:07 AM
Some.. call him Tim...
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2008
6,346 Posts
Thanks Max! I've been working on my weak points.. All of the reverse stuff is still escaping me.. right now I'm working on my torque rolls, and rolling harrier..
Ducati Mechanic is offline Find More Posts by Ducati Mechanic
Old Oct 27, 2011, 11:05 AM
3D Hack
United States, IL, Glen Carbon
Joined Jul 2010
1,862 Posts
Battery Debate Time...

Okay guys,

I am getting ready to order up some batteries for the 60"er.

Plans are to go with 3300's.

What C rating and brands do you prefer and why?

Which ones should be avoided like the plague and why?

Thanks,

JC

ps - I am leaning towards the Gens Ace brand if the specs are true.
JC Spohr is offline Find More Posts by JC Spohr
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by JC Spohr; Oct 27, 2011 at 11:19 AM.