HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 22, 2011, 11:14 PM
Facts, Logic, 3D
Florida
Joined Nov 2010
3,575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wantoofly View Post
Almost finished hope... to complete and get maiden tomorrow.
Looks better in person, can't wait to put it in the air.
WOOT! Good luck!

--Tom K.
Tom K. is offline Find More Posts by Tom K.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New Stuff!
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 23, 2011, 01:31 AM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Apr 2009
7,615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hercdriver7777 View Post
Hey Tim, I had a great time today! You are a great guy to fly with and I look forward to the next time!

You guys should have seen Tim absolutely tearing it up with his Extra today! Great skills and really fun to watch!

Guys, we threw down from 830 am to sun down at the Spartanburg Skynights field in Spartanburg SC. Flew the 88, 78, 60s and 48s non stop all day. Burned 2 gals of gas through the generator charging batteries!

looks like you guys were flying low! very nice! can't wait to check out the video.
Irg is offline Find More Posts by Irg
Old Oct 23, 2011, 04:25 AM
Some.. call him Tim...
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2008
6,267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hercdriver7777 View Post
Hey Tim, I had a great time today! You are a great guy to fly with and I look forward to the next time!

You guys should have seen Tim absolutely tearing it up with his Extra today! Great skills and really fun to watch!

Guys, we threw down from 830 am to sun down at the Spartanburg Skynights field in Spartanburg SC. Flew the 88, 78, 60s and 48s non stop all day. Burned 2 gals of gas through the generator charging batteries!

I have found my most preferred way of flying. Get a couple guys who love to fly and stand on the runway all day passing the transmitter around and work on various maneuvers. There's nothing like practicing one maneuver and then watching two other people practice the same thing with the same plane. I learned a lot today!

Maidened my Extra today! Woohooo!! That is one bad mother of a plane! I was very, very pleased with it and cannot wait to get out there and fly it even more!

Here are a few pics from today. Tim has the video on his camera and you all probably won't see that until he gets home to NY to upload it.

Happy flying!
Heeerch!!!
Thanks for the ups! The pleasure was all mine!!! Sorry I missed all the chatter last night!! Chris kicked my ass!! I got back to the hotel, and passed out!!!
I love coming down here and flying with these guys! Chris, and his friends are on another level, and it was a real pleasure to get a full day of stick time in with them!!

I'm driving back today, build video 5 will be up late tonight, and flight video will be up tomorrow night!!

Ps... This is my money shot!!! Chris just missed me the shot of me sliding the SFG on the runway, but this one makes up for it..

Ducati Mechanic is online now Find More Posts by Ducati Mechanic
Old Oct 23, 2011, 05:28 AM
Nederland, NH, Amsterdam
Joined Oct 2007
9 Posts
I am going to purchase this plane or a Precision Aerobatics Extra MX. To make a good decision I need a few answers to my questions. Maybe you can help me.

- What is the ready to fly weigth of this plane without the lipo?
- What is the avarage flying time on 4S?
- What is the avarage flying time on 5S?
sroest is offline Find More Posts by sroest
Old Oct 23, 2011, 06:00 AM
Some.. call him Tim...
Joined Oct 2008
6,267 Posts
5.5LB plane with battery... Packs weigh 600grams

It's a 5s or 6s plane.. I get 7min flights with 3600 6s packs.. The average flight time is 6min with a 3300 pack..

More info on the main page..
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1477298
Old Oct 23, 2011, 07:28 AM
Nederland, NH, Amsterdam
Joined Oct 2007
9 Posts
Thanks for the info! That is odd, Hacker Germany recommends a 4s or 5s setup for this plane...
sroest is offline Find More Posts by sroest
Old Oct 23, 2011, 08:08 AM
215.0 MPH
United States, VT, Essex
Joined Jul 2007
1,164 Posts
You can certainly fly it on 4S, watts is watts. You will need a different KV motor, and your amps will go up. The latest trend is to get the watts with higher volts and lower amps. More selection of motors, easier on the equipment, don't need as high a C rating of battery.
markusvt is offline Find More Posts by markusvt
Old Oct 23, 2011, 09:20 AM
Facts, Logic, 3D
Florida
Joined Nov 2010
3,575 Posts
Yeah. More cells (higher voltage). Big prop (high watts). Low kv (low amps). Sure, that's not the direct formula, but it all works out that way in the long run. I have the 60" Edge and my friend has the 60" Extra. We're both going to put Motrolfly 4315-480kv motors in them, on 6S with a 16x8 and dial back the endpoints to 65amps. A few guys are running this setup on the 60" Edge (similar weight to the Extra) and they have ballistic power with this setup.

--Tom K.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 23, 2011, 09:38 AM
Some.. call him Tim...
Joined Oct 2008
6,267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sroest View Post
Thanks for the info! That is odd, Hacker Germany recommends a 4s or 5s setup for this plane...
No problem..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
Yeah. More cells (higher voltage). Big prop (high watts). Low kv (low amps). Sure, that's not the direct formula, but it all works out that way in the long run. I have the 60" Edge and my friend has the 60" Extra. We're both going to put Motrolfly 4315-480kv motors in them, on 6S with a 16x8 and dial back the endpoints to 65amps. A few guys are running this setup on the 60" Edge (similar weight to the Extra) and they have ballistic power with this setup.

--Tom K.

Or you can run the recommended torque/airboss setup, take all the guess work out of it, and youll have a perfect flying plane..
Last edited by Ducati Mechanic; Oct 23, 2011 at 09:46 AM.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 09:49 AM
Facts, Logic, 3D
Florida
Joined Nov 2010
3,575 Posts
But then you don't get to swing a 16x8 and get BALLISTIC power. They're good motors, I just prefer swinging a bigger prop. It gives more precise control during post-stall because it's pushing a bigger column of air, and the prop has more authority as the bigger disc cuts down on prop stall.

--Tom K.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 23, 2011, 10:02 AM
Team Extreme! Team Twisted!
Columbia SC
Joined Feb 2005
4,324 Posts
The other side of that coin.

But hurts tumbling and snapping. Translates more torque to the airframe and is harder on equipment.
hercdriver7777 is offline Find More Posts by hercdriver7777
Old Oct 23, 2011, 10:05 AM
Some.. call him Tim...
Joined Oct 2008
6,267 Posts
No... You just get ballistic power on a 15x7

If there was a better setup, team Extreme would be running it..
Old Oct 23, 2011, 10:07 AM
Facts, Logic, 3D
Florida
Joined Nov 2010
3,575 Posts
Well... my Motrolfly will be here Wednesday

--Tom K.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 23, 2011, 10:43 AM
It's gone...
Germany, NRW, Heinsberg
Joined Aug 2004
5,065 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Semeraro View Post
No problem..

Or you can run the recommended torque/airboss setup, take all the guess work out of it, and youll have a perfect flying plane..
I like this method too.
_OZ_ is offline Find More Posts by _OZ_
Old Oct 23, 2011, 11:27 AM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2006
2,228 Posts
Well, all I say is that Daniel runs the recommended setup. So, if running a different motor or swinging a larger prop makes you fly as well as Daniel, then you may have something. However, IMO, its more about the skills of the pilot and not about swinging a larger prop .
racin06 is offline Find More Posts by racin06