SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 02, 2013, 06:51 PM
Thumbs in training
United States, OR, Damascus
Joined Feb 2012
127 Posts
Was just thinking, if it is the pot in my transmitter wouldn't I have the same issue with my other digital servos on other planes?
ryyoungs is offline Find More Posts by ryyoungs
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:07 PM
can't buy vaporware
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,517 Posts
If it was a pot in your transmitter, you would have the same problem on the same channel with other servos, especially if you had the same expo settings. A lot of expo can mask problems with the pot in the transmitter.

What kind of transmitter do you have? On a DX8 and DX18 there is a monitor function. Set up a new plane without expo, go the monitor page in the user interface, and move the sticks in a single direction. Watch to see if you get jumps. If not, it's not your transmitter pots.

If you do, it still might not be your pots...it could be that a connector is not secure inside the transmitter.
7oneWo1f is online now Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:41 PM
Thumbs in training
United States, OR, Damascus
Joined Feb 2012
127 Posts
I have a DX8 and it's not the issue, all looks smooth in the monitor function
ryyoungs is offline Find More Posts by ryyoungs
Old Feb 03, 2013, 02:02 AM
aka ECAA3D
United States, WA, Olympia
Joined Apr 2012
1,154 Posts
THis plane hasn't been getting much love on the forum the last few months.

Every time I fly it puts a smile on my face. I bought and tossed around the 48 Edge but this one is always the most fun. Can't wait to get a 91"
m0dest is offline Find More Posts by m0dest
Old Feb 03, 2013, 11:05 AM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecaa3d View Post

Every time I fly it puts a smile on my face. I bought and tossed around the 48 Edge but this one is always the most fun. Can't wait to get a 91"
Everyone is having too much fun with their Extras to come post on the forums

Seriously though, this plane is AWESOME. I loved everything about mine. If it wasn't for the 64'' MXS this would still be my favorite plane.
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
Old Feb 03, 2013, 11:34 AM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,287 Posts
Quote:
I think the most under appreciated airframe on all of RCG is absolutely the 48" Extra EXP. I guess Extras have sort of fallen out of fashion because they have been around so long and everyone has already had a few of them. It's really too bad because anyone who doesn't have a 48" Etra EXP is really missing out on a superb all around airframe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hone1er View Post
If it wasn't for the 64'' MXS this would still be my favorite plane.
Tough call, but the 60" MXS is perfect in every way. I've got a lot of time on my Extra and it's been an incredible plane, but I fell completely and hopelessly in love with the 60" MXS the moment I opened the box, and it's just gotten better and better every time I take her out.

I still love to throw down qwith the big Extra though. In fact, I just completely restored the entire plane and she's ready for another year of hard abuse. Check it out.

Doc Austin is online now Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old Feb 03, 2013, 12:10 PM
Got the Slickness
Seattle, WA
Joined Jul 2010
2,521 Posts
Quote:

Every time I fly it puts a smile on my face.
I rebuilt my Extra this winter and remaidened her yesterday.

I got too confident with it last year at the end of the summer, doing dbl waterfalls about 15-20 feet off the ground and smacked it good. I had to repair the fuse, rebuild the motor box (replacing the cowl and prop), replacing one of the wings and the canopy.

When I remaidened her, she was one click on the radio and flew like nothing had happened.

I flew it with another good 3D brand yesterday, but forgot just how great this airframe flys! Lovin it, thank you Extreme Flight!
gabrielisrael is offline Find More Posts by gabrielisrael
Old Feb 03, 2013, 12:12 PM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,319 Posts
Looks like it came out GREAT! Good job man!
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
Old Feb 06, 2013, 12:47 PM
Joined Aug 2012
13 Posts
Did everyone install the switch that comes attached to the Airboss esc? The wire is a little short, where do i have to mount the esc to ensure that i can also install the switch? Also there were no screws for attaching the switch, or did i just miss em?
Sorry for so many questions
Thanks in advance
Ahmd is offline Find More Posts by Ahmd
Old Feb 06, 2013, 12:53 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,287 Posts
I really did not need to see this withy as tight as money is. Now I gotta have a red one too. That thing sure looks clean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmd View Post
Did everyone install the switch that comes attached to the Airboss esc? The wire is a little short, where do i have to mount the esc to ensure that i can also install the switch?
Do you have an older Airboss 80? The switch wires on the new ones are so long that I coil them up to take out the slack. Most guys mount their ESCs on the bgottom of the motorbox.

If you look on the inside of the fuselage sides, the switch holes are already cut out. You just have to cut the covering back.

Quote:
Also there were no screws for attaching the switch, or did i just miss em?
Nope. They don't come with screws. I use Dubro self tapping no 2 X 1/2" button head screws. You can also buy a cheap switch and steal the plastic cover from it, which really cleans up the appearance.

Check photo............
Last edited by Doc Austin; Feb 06, 2013 at 01:00 PM.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 01:30 PM
Joined Aug 2012
13 Posts
The wire is pretty short, it will not reach the pre cut switch slot if i mount it on the bottom of the motor box, i guess it must be one of the older ones.
Thanks for the clarification.
I suppose ill have to lengthen the wire somehow
Old Feb 06, 2013, 01:35 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,287 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmd View Post
The wire is pretty short, it will not reach the pre cut switch slot if i mount it on the bottom of the motor box, i guess it must be one of the older ones.
Another way is to mount it on the left side of the motor box. That will get iot a little closer. The switch will defintely reach that way. That's not where it is supposed to go, but mine is there simply because I have always done it that way, and I am old and hate change.

If you have an older Airboss, it may not be delivering 6 volts to the servos. I would suggest you check the voltage and if it's not 6v then install a seperate BEC that is.

Quote:
I suppose ill have to lengthen the wire somehow
That, or you can cut it off and then solder the wires together. You will lose the safety feature of having a switch but what you never want to do is just leave the switch loose to bounce around and maybe turn itself off! I have actually seen that happen to a friend.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 01:49 PM
Joined Aug 2012
13 Posts
Thank you for your advice Doc. Ill check the voltage too
Old Feb 06, 2013, 02:57 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,287 Posts
All the Airboss made the last couple of years are set up to run the servos on 6 volts. You get better speed and more torque, and the servos seem to last longer too, because they are not stalling, blowing back and burning out. That and the plane performs like it is supposed to.

If you have an older Airboss, a good 6 volt BEC is a good investment. Castle makes a really good one for about $25, and Motrolfly makes one for about $15 that comes pre-wired with a deans, so you just plug it in between your ESC deans and your battery deans.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 07:03 AM
Joined Aug 2012
13 Posts
Well the esc is supplying 5.2 volts. Is it still worth using a seperate BEC or will this do the job.
If my esc is one of the older ones should i be worried?