HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:20 AM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
Doc Austin's Avatar
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansifsof44 View Post
Sweet, how does the extra do with the extra batt weight for low and slow... compared to the Edge and MXS?
I don't own an Edge, but I got to borrow one for a video shoot and it was a real floater. It has an advantage over the other two here.

The MXS and Extra seem to be about the same as each other in the floaty department, and the big packs don't hurt either of them. Whenever I fly one of my 60s I have to readjust my style because they just don't want to come down. They sink slower and stall slower than a 48.

If I had it to do over I'de go with 3300s just because they would make the planes even floatier. I've been using 3850s in all my 55-57" planes or so long that I thought that was what I needed.

Ducati Tim has flown them with all sorts of packs and he likes the 3600s because it's the right amount of weight for his style of tumbling while still being floaty for 3D. I think that's what he said, anyway.


Even with 6s 3850, both of my 60s are floatier than any of my48s.
Doc Austin is offline Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:31 PM
Registered User
havard.j's Avatar
Norway
Joined Mar 2010
31 Posts
Picture on a frozen lake in Norway.
havard.j is offline Find More Posts by havard.j
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:35 PM
can't buy vaporware
7oneWo1f's Avatar
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by havard.j View Post
Picture on a frozen lake in Norway.
now that is a pretty sight.
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:21 PM
It's gone...
_OZ_'s Avatar
Joined Aug 2004
5,139 Posts
That is awesome!
_OZ_ is offline Find More Posts by _OZ_
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:25 PM
OOPS
Manta1's Avatar
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by havard.j View Post
Picture on a frozen lake in Norway.
that is so beautiful
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 01, 2013, 11:45 AM
Thumbs in training
ryyoungs's Avatar
United States, OR, Damascus
Joined Feb 2012
127 Posts
I have a JR ds3421 servo on the elevator of 60" extra that will jitter when I hold it steady at any given point, but doesn't do it all the time and not always at the same position. This is on the bench and not under load. I never noticed it before, I've only had the plane for 2 months with 15 flights on it, and am wondering if this is normal and once under load it will be fine?
ryyoungs is offline Find More Posts by ryyoungs
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 01, 2013, 01:01 PM
Some.. call him Tim...
Ducati Mechanic's Avatar
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2008
6,352 Posts
No that's not normal. It's a sign that the potentiometers is Damaged or worn out. When They start doing that it's a good indication that it's time to replace Or repair it before something bad happens.
Ducati Mechanic is offline Find More Posts by Ducati Mechanic
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 01, 2013, 02:26 PM
Thumbs in training
ryyoungs's Avatar
United States, OR, Damascus
Joined Feb 2012
127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati Mechanic View Post
No that's not normal. It's a sign that the potentiometers is Damaged or worn out. When They start doing that it's a good indication that it's time to replace Or repair it before something bad happens.
Sigh, it practically new and I haven't been rough on it. I bet I know what it's from; when I came home the other day I found it with the elevator completely deflected jammed into a chair after the house cleaner was here. I looked it over for physical damage but didn't think about it damaging the servo. I need to get my planes off the ground!
ryyoungs is offline Find More Posts by ryyoungs
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 01, 2013, 04:31 PM
Some.. call him Tim...
Ducati Mechanic's Avatar
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2008
6,352 Posts
yes.. Hanger rash.. Sucks! I've been there. I'm sure if you send it in for service, they will take care of it, with little or no charge.
Ducati Mechanic is offline Find More Posts by Ducati Mechanic
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 01, 2013, 06:57 PM
Thumbs in training
ryyoungs's Avatar
United States, OR, Damascus
Joined Feb 2012
127 Posts
Went to my LHS and showed them what the elevator was doing and they said they have seen this happen with longer servo arms, which I have 1.5" arms. So I bought a 1" arm to see if that will fix it. They did say if it doesn't fix it I can send it into JR to have it fixed for free since the servos have a 2 year unconditional warranty.
ryyoungs is offline Find More Posts by ryyoungs
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2013, 11:35 AM
Thumbs in training
ryyoungs's Avatar
United States, OR, Damascus
Joined Feb 2012
127 Posts
So going to the 1" arm didn't do the trick. The jittering is not as pronounced, nor could I get it to jitter as frequently as with the longer arm, but it still jitters. However when I put the linkage in the 3/4" hole on servo arm I couldn't get it to jitter at all. Regardless I need to have the servo fixed. Looks like I won't be flying the extra tomorrow, not unless I buy another servo while this one is fixed.

Anyone know what the turnaround time is for JR to fix a servo?
ryyoungs is offline Find More Posts by ryyoungs
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2013, 11:43 AM
inverted-i-fly
3drcparts's Avatar
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryyoungs View Post
So going to the 1" arm didn't do the trick. The jittering is not as pronounced, nor could I get it to jitter as frequently as with the longer arm, but it still jitters. However when I put the linkage in the 3/4" hole on servo arm I couldn't get it to jitter at all. Regardless I need to have the servo fixed. Looks like I won't be flying the extra tomorrow, not unless I buy another servo while this one is fixed.

Anyone know what the turnaround time is for JR to fix a servo?
yep if the servo is jittering it is a sign it is going, I would not fly it, service time is about 2 weeks door to door
3drcparts is offline Find More Posts by 3drcparts
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2013, 01:06 PM
can't buy vaporware
7oneWo1f's Avatar
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryyoungs View Post
I have a JR ds3421 servo on the elevator of 60" extra that will jitter when I hold it steady at any given point, but doesn't do it all the time and not always at the same position. This is on the bench and not under load. I never noticed it before, I've only had the plane for 2 months with 15 flights on it, and am wondering if this is normal and once under load it will be fine?
Digital servos jitter. I am not sure about your experience, so if you have not used digital servos before, I'd make a video to illustrate the problem either to JR/horizon, or for us--there can be too much jitter.

Also, what ESC/BEC or battery are you using? If you're using servo extensions, what is the gauge of the wire compared to the wire coming out of the servo. I've not witnessed this, but I have heard that noisy power from a BEC can cause jitter too.

Also, try it on a different channel...jitter could come from a pot in your transmitter. If your transmitter has a monitor function, take a look. Also make sure you don't have expo in the wrong direction. Also search around youtube....some peole have reported that a different servo can induce noise on other servos, leading the other good servos to jitter. For example, see this demo. It might help you trouble shoot your setup.
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2013, 03:08 PM
bryansifsof44's Avatar
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Oct 2011
4,725 Posts
Took 3 days from pushing the order button for the Extra to be at my door. However, express mail was the cheapest to AK... Even at that super fast.
bryansifsof44 is online now Find More Posts by bryansifsof44
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Weights for planes
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2013, 06:46 PM
Thumbs in training
ryyoungs's Avatar
United States, OR, Damascus
Joined Feb 2012
127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolfRC View Post
Digital servos jitter. I am not sure about your experience, so if you have not used digital servos before, I'd make a video to illustrate the problem either to JR/horizon, or for us--there can be too much jitter.

Also, what ESC/BEC or battery are you using? If you're using servo extensions, what is the gauge of the wire compared to the wire coming out of the servo. I've not witnessed this, but I have heard that noisy power from a BEC can cause jitter too.

Also, try it on a different channel...jitter could come from a pot in your transmitter. If your transmitter has a monitor function, take a look. Also make sure you don't have expo in the wrong direction. Also search around youtube....some peole have reported that a different servo can induce noise on other servos, leading the other good servos to jitter. For example, see this demo. It might help you trouble shoot your setup.
Thanks for the info. I'm running the recommended Airboss ESC w/o a BEC. The servo extensions are the same gage as the servo wire and all my expo is fine. I wish I would have read your response before I switched out the servo to try some of your trouble shooting ideas. I did show the guys at my LHS what it was doing and they said it was the servo. These guys are pretty knowledgeable.

If it is the pot on my transmitter what's the fix for this?

I didn't think about making a video of it. I need to be better about thinking about video. Just like I wish I would have had video of me climbing 30+ feet up into a tree to recover my plane when I was first learning to fly.
ryyoungs is offline Find More Posts by ryyoungs
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Build Log Extreme Flight 70" Extra 300 EXP - build/fly/video hercdriver7777 3D Flying 2463 Nov 19, 2014 12:01 PM
Build Log Extreme Flight 60" Edge 540T EXP - Build/Fly/Video FlopGun 3D Flying 249 Apr 16, 2012 11:46 AM
Help! D-60 build thread Chronic DS'er Dynamic Soaring 3 Jun 23, 2011 11:04 PM
Sold Extreme Flight 58" Extra Ready To Fly (GA) traderdave2 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 11 Apr 26, 2011 06:33 PM
Video EXTREME FLIGHT RC EXTRA 300EXP in Action! EXTREME FLIGHT Electric Plane Talk 1 Jun 10, 2009 09:45 PM