Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 23, 2013, 06:42 PM
Some.. call him Tim...
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2008
6,342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by volcomsnows2k View Post
Just joined the 60" EF Club! Love this Extra!

Sweet shots!!
Ducati Mechanic is offline Find More Posts by Ducati Mechanic
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 23, 2013, 07:32 PM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,637 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin View Post

When you consider that a trip to the emergency room would more than pay for a coupe of complete airframes and equipment, seems like cheap enough insurance to me.
How does this work Doc.

I don't run switches and if I plug my lipo in with the radio throttle lever anywhere above closed the esc won't arm?

But then again I am running all castle ice esc's in my planes these days, what do I know!
bigroger is offline Find More Posts by bigroger
Old Jan 23, 2013, 07:36 PM
Some.. call him Tim...
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2008
6,342 Posts
I bypass my esc switches, but I never Connect the battery Until its on the runway(Always Unplug before picking up the plane), and I use a throttle kill switch on the radio. I treat it like a firearm.
Ducati Mechanic is offline Find More Posts by Ducati Mechanic
Old Jan 23, 2013, 07:48 PM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,328 Posts
DA and DM ... I agree better safe than sorry.

ESCs have hardware and firmware/software that can fail. Also, I can trip/fall. I can't say I always take the safety precautions I should, but I am getting better at it.
7oneWo1f is online now Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Jan 24, 2013, 08:42 AM
Got the Slickness
Seattle, WA
Joined Jul 2010
2,514 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati Mechanic View Post
I bypass my esc switches, but I never Connect the battery Until its on the runway(Always Unplug before picking up the plane), and I use a throttle kill switch on the radio. I treat it like a firearm.
Great precautionary idea! Same when working on the bench at home with your plane and you need power for some reason..... take the prop off first before working on it (like setting up control surfaces) - this too will save a trip to the emergency room.

My HiTec Aurora 9 comes with a great feature on the touch screen to kill the motor, and I always use it, but still take the prop off when working on your plane live on the bench (field or home)..... it only takes 3 minutes to do.
gabrielisrael is online now Find More Posts by gabrielisrael
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:39 AM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigroger View Post
How does this work Doc.
It's just another step in the safety chain, that's all.

Quote:
I don't run switches and if I plug my lipo in with the radio throttle lever anywhere above closed the esc won't arm?
That's good too, but I have seen that method fail.

Switches fail too. Never trust anything to keep you safe when you are around a live propeller.
Doc Austin is offline Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:40 AM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielph View Post
Did someone call me? -Yeah, that's a random #...
Attachment 5474164
In your case it's not random, but if you pay attention to how many times the number pops up in a random way, I think you will be surprised.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 01:22 PM
It's gone...
Germany, NRW, Heinsberg
Joined Aug 2004
5,098 Posts
Yeah, look at my post count!
_OZ_ is offline Find More Posts by _OZ_
Last edited by _OZ_; Jan 24, 2013 at 01:30 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 01:29 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,368 Posts
HA! See what I mean.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:00 AM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,368 Posts
Sort of on topic, maybe....... The MISC Report
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:55 PM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by volcomsnows2k View Post
Just joined the 60" EF Club! Love this Extra!

those are some really nice shots!! consider yurself receiving a post hover seal of approval. i really like that blue scheme esp in those pics.
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Jan 26, 2013, 09:19 AM
Joined Aug 2012
9 Posts
Could someone explain how the landing gear cuffs are supposed to be installed? I was also provided with a black rubber type tubing. Its not mentioned of in the manual.
Thanks in advance
Ahmd is offline Find More Posts by Ahmd
Old Jan 26, 2013, 10:36 AM
aka ECAA3D
United States, WA, Olympia
Joined Apr 2012
1,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmd View Post
Could someone explain how the landing gear cuffs are supposed to be installed? I was also provided with a black rubber type tubing. Its not mentioned of in the manual.
Thanks in advance
The rubber tube you cut in half then cut tubing down one side. Spread this apart and wrap around fairings. Glue in place.

To install fairings I install landing gear, mount the fairings then mark the spot on the LG where the fairing sit flush with the fuse.

Remove fairings, THen use 5 minute epoxy or another good adhesive, apply it above the mark sort of liberally but not to where it will drip too much, install fairings and tape in place. Turn the fuse over and let gravity do its thing.
m0dest is offline Find More Posts by m0dest
Old Jan 26, 2013, 12:07 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,368 Posts
I just put mine through a massive refitting. I replaced the wheel pants, SFGs and X mount, and then scrubbed the whole thing down with Rapic Rac RC Cleaner And Polish.

This plane is now at least a year and a half old and it's been flown extremely (what else?) hard the entire time. Admmittedly it has never even had a hard landing until this weekend, but it's been out in the sun, dragged on the runway and kilked a lot of bugs. It was getting a bit raggity looking, so I replaced what was scuffed up, tightened up the covering and checked everything over real good. for good measure I also replaced the servos in the tail.

I reallly like the job that the Rapic Tac cleaner and polish did. It does not leave a film like wax or Armor All does, but the plane is clean and everything shines real nice now. I've been using Mc Quire's final detail, but from now on it's Rapic Tac cleaner and polish for all my planes.

I took her out and hammered the snot out of her yesteday and she is like a brand new plane. It would be hard to be more pleased with an airframe.

Old Jan 26, 2013, 12:49 PM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,151 Posts
the blue is really growing on me.like the red sfgs,dont like the red nose cone lol.I dont know what other color Id use tho.
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1