to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 23, 2013, 06:41 AM
Fly til dark
United States, IN, Bourbon
Joined Nov 2011
147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royster View Post
Everyone still using 3300 6S packs for this plane? Just checking in case anyone has gone to a different size pack.

I have been using mainly the nano tech 3300 6S packs but also fly the 3000s and even (with very light throttle) 2650 6S nano's.
I am running 4s 4000 packs in mine and love it! I run the pack all the way forward. I have great power and it is nice and lite.
jfuller1250 is offline Find More Posts by jfuller1250
Old Jan 23, 2013, 10:02 AM
Got the Slickness
Seattle, WA
Joined Jul 2010
2,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfuller1250 View Post
I am running 4s 4000 packs in mine and love it! I run the pack all the way forward. I have great power and it is nice and lite.
I too run a 4s 4000mah pack with a Motrofly motor (4315-714kv), with Castle 100 Ice Lite and their 10amp BEC, and like the weight. And to really dial in the battery weight, I like my Zippy 40C lipos, they are slightly heavier than my GenAce 25Cs... plus my personal opinion is that it has more punch than my friends 6s stock set-up.

Another friend of mine that flys a 60" Edge just removed out the 6s set-up and went back to 4s as well.
gabrielisrael is offline Find More Posts by gabrielisrael
Old Jan 23, 2013, 10:07 AM
can't buy vaporware
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royster View Post
Everyone still using 3300 6S packs for this plane? Just checking in case anyone has gone to a different size pack.

I have been using mainly the nano tech 3300 6S packs but also fly the 3000s and even (with very light throttle) 2650 6S nano's.
I was running 4000 and 3300 in mine. Never came up with a preference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin View Post
Damm, I love this plane...............

Is that 527 for 527 flights? Very fun to watch video. Wish we had the flying opportunities you have down there throughout the year, but maybe it makes our opportunities that much sweeter when we get to experience them.
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Jan 23, 2013, 10:47 AM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolfRC View Post
I was running 4000 and 3300 in mine. Never came up with a preference.
Hard to believe lighter wasn't better, but then again, these 60s seem to be ridiculously floaty. I'm running 3850s and when I come from flying a 48" plane I have to readjust mu flying because the 60s don't sink as quickly. Comparatively, they are kind of like blimps with wings.

Quote:
Is that 527 for 527 flights?
Doing the rough math, it seems like it's about 500. I flew the thing so much that I hionestly lost trackm but when yiou add up eight packs a day for and
April, May, an entire 90 (less two weeks in July7) day summer, August and Sept, that's a buttload of flights. Remembver that this was ne of the 4016 Mk II development planes, so it got run hard and put away wet every single day.

27 is also the least random of all random numbers and it will pop up more times in a day that any other random number. A lot of people will now say I am FOS, but just watch how many times 27 pops up on the news, or on license plates, or AMA numbers.

I first noticed 27 when watching the original "Total Recall." Arnold was riding down the street on Mars in a cab when they drive past a theatre. On the marquee it says "Rockie 27," so from them on I started using the number as an inside joke to illustrate absurdity. Then I started noticing the number every time I turned around.

Quote:
Very fun to watch video.
Thanks. It took all damm day because the computer kept erroring out. It took all day to figure out that is a 1 gig video, and I could not even type a letter without running out of memory and crashing the Movie Maker. I'm buying some more memory later today.

Quote:
Wish we had the flying opportunities you have down there throughout the year, but maybe it makes our opportunities that much sweeter when we get to experience them.
It gets below 70 degrees here and we all wear long pants and sweaters. When it gets below 60 we all stay insidem, shiver and cry like little girls about how brutaqkl the weather is.

Fortunately we get maybe two weeks to a month per year when it is unflyable because of cold and wind, but once you get used to living here, even a little chill will make hypothermia set it. As far as the cold, I am sure it's not so bad when you get used to it, but fr me it would take forever to get used to living in snow.

I am convinced that hell is really a cold place.
Doc Austin is online now Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old Jan 23, 2013, 10:53 AM
Thumbs in training
United States, OR, Damascus
Joined Feb 2012
127 Posts
Called EF this am talk with Curtis and he said they haven't heard of any issues with the arming switch. After talking with Curtis I went a played with the plane and the switch worked. It was really cold out when I was flying, 28 degrees, wonder if it was my lipos that were too cold? I wouldn't think the cold would affect the switch. Curtis said the fix would be to splice the two wires together on the arming switch.
ryyoungs is offline Find More Posts by ryyoungs
Old Jan 23, 2013, 11:03 AM
can't buy vaporware
Joined Nov 2011
8,517 Posts
Cold might be the culprit. I keep the batteries in my running car with the heat on when I fly in the winter, or keep the smaller batteries in my coat. I also use some foam on the side of the batteries under the strap just to keep them warm in flight.

I doubt it was the switch, and would not perform that modification as a fix, unless you just don't like the switch. But I do do the modification you report curtis mentioned on those ESCs I have where I am running an external BEC...just due to power up sequencing and theoretical latch up concerns. Probably not an issue, and an abundence of caution. You should be able to use a DVM to test the switch if you think there is a problem. But I really think you're onto something with the lipo temp theory considering it is now working again.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 11:03 AM
It's just a hobby
USA, GA, Hoschton
Joined Nov 2005
10,210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryyoungs View Post
Called EF this am talk with Curtis and he said they haven't heard of any issues with the arming switch. After talking with Curtis I went a played with the plane and the switch worked. It was really cold out when I was flying, 28 degrees, wonder if it was my lipos that were too cold? I wouldn't think the cold would affect the switch. Curtis said the fix would be to splice the two wires together on the arming switch.
I do that on all my airboss esc's anyway as I don't really need the switch. I just cut the switch wire close to the ESC, solder them together, and wrap with shrink tube.

MLT
MLT67 is offline Find More Posts by MLT67
Old Jan 23, 2013, 11:20 AM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,277 Posts
I grew up flying nitro planes with the radio switch on the left side of the plane. That's just a habitual thing I can't get over. I have had to cut the swirch off on a few planes, but ewvery time I plug the battery in I find myself looking for the switch. I like the switch. It is just an added safety feature.

When you consider that a trip to the emergency room would more than pay for a coupe of complete airframes and equipment, seems like cheap enough insurance to me.
Doc Austin is online now Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:28 PM
Some.. call him Tim...
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2008
6,352 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLT67 View Post
I do that on all my airboss esc's anyway as I don't really need the switch. I just cut the switch wire close to the ESC, solder them together, and wrap with shrink tube.

MLT

+1
Ducati Mechanic is offline Find More Posts by Ducati Mechanic
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:32 PM
It's gone...
Joined Aug 2004
5,139 Posts
Quote:
Damm, I love this plane...............

Nice! I watched it 27x.
_OZ_ is offline Find More Posts by _OZ_
Old Jan 23, 2013, 01:09 PM
Thumbs in training
United States, OR, Damascus
Joined Feb 2012
127 Posts
I like the arming switch, but I also use a throttle cut on my radio because I use a little idle with my electric plane. If it happens again and I don't think the cold is the culprit I will splice the wires together. Thanks for responses.
ryyoungs is offline Find More Posts by ryyoungs
Old Jan 23, 2013, 01:54 PM
Spicy Torque Roll!
USA, CA, Pasadena
Joined Dec 2006
1,837 Posts
Just joined the 60" EF Club! Love this Extra!

volcomsnows2k is online now Find More Posts by volcomsnows2k
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 23, 2013, 02:11 PM
can't buy vaporware
Joined Nov 2011
8,517 Posts
Wow, nice photos
Old Jan 23, 2013, 07:41 PM
TEAM EXTREME!
High Prairie, WA
Joined Nov 2007
1,713 Posts
Quote:

27 is also the least random of all random numbers and it will pop up more times in a day that any other random number. A lot of people will now say I am FOS, but just watch how many times 27 pops up on the news, or on license plates, or AMA numbers.

I first noticed 27 when watching the original "Total Recall." Arnold was riding down the street on Mars in a cab when they drive past a theatre. On the marquee it says "Rockie 27," so from them on I started using the number as an inside joke to illustrate absurdity. Then I started noticing the number every time I turned around.

Thanks. It took all damm day because the computer kept erroring out. It took all day to figure out that is a 1 gig video, and I could not even type a letter without running out of memory and crashing the Movie Maker. I'm buying some more memory later today.

It gets below 70 degrees here and we all wear long pants and sweaters. When it gets below 60 we all stay insidem, shiver and cry like little girls about how brutaqkl the weather is.

Fortunately we get maybe two weeks to a month per year when it is unflyable because of cold and wind, but once you get used to living here, even a little chill will make hypothermia set it. As far as the cold, I am sure it's not so bad when you get used to it, but fr me it would take forever to get used to living in snow.

I am convinced that hell is really a cold place.
Did someone call me? -Yeah, that's a random #...
Name: DSC03681.jpg
Views: 86
Size: 191.2 KB
Description:
danielph is offline Find More Posts by danielph