HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 12, 2013, 03:37 PM
Santi
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Nov 2003
1,597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolfRC View Post
Yep, gens ace: Too high cost, and not consistent performance in my experience. When I get a good one, it is great.
I've had great experiences with their larger packs above 2000mah but the ones below have all sucked... I use the 450's on my crack yak and they are ok, but for $3 pack I could care less, I beat the hell out of those packs anyways! However, someone at my field picked up a 2s 450 GA thinking he was getting a very reliable battery to power his servos... That plane went down due to a small 2s battery failure... I'm not sure what the deal is, but I can say I probably wont be buying anymore Gens Aces strictly because of their huge price increase!
DaaBears is online now Find More Posts by DaaBears
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 13, 2013, 01:28 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,372 Posts
Crank it up (after the intro, which is a little loud).

Seriously.

Crank it up.

No Title (5 min 31 sec)
Doc Austin is online now Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old Jan 13, 2013, 02:15 PM
fly low, fly fast, fly 3d
United Kingdom, England, Luton
Joined Dec 2011
564 Posts
love the screaming lamb intro i usedto have the video saved on my phone it's to funny
nathan100 is offline Find More Posts by nathan100
Old Jan 14, 2013, 06:54 AM
Back in the hobby- ALL in!
United States, NH, Greenland
Joined Feb 2012
968 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin View Post
Crank it up (after the intro, which is a little loud).

Seriously.

Crank it up.

Nice one Doc! Motivator for getting my rwb off the bench but no real rush, don't want to fly it in snow and mud season which we seem to be stuck in right now. Skis, wheels, skis ? Mother Nature can't make up her mind.
dth7 is offline Find More Posts by dth7
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:55 AM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,372 Posts
I found out how tough these 60" planes are yesterday when I forgot I was on low rates and tried a snap roll down low. By the time I realize I was in trouble all I had time to do was roll it over and crank in the up. Another foot of altitude and I would have gotten away with it, but it smashed the rudder into the runway so hard that it broke it clean in half right below the elevator, and ripped the tailwheel braket right off the fuselage. It also slammed down on the main gear and wrinkled the covering on the bottom, but no wood was broken and the gear is still stiff.

I've got it all fixed now. The rudder is wide enough that I could add all sorts of bracing, and especially gussets, to the areas where it broke. I cut the covering back to the next highest rib, which was luckily the same color, so the seam won't show so badly.

The bottom hinge also pulled loose, so if I decide to replace it I only have to dehinge the two top slots. I might just get a new rudder, or maybe this is the excuse I needed to go ahead and get a brand red 60" Extra EXP.

I hate doing repair work and I hate flying repaired planes. Of course, now that she has a few character marks I can fly her even harder without so much fear of tearing up a perfect airplane!

Yesterday was still a really good lesson because I moved the CG back considerably, and now the CG is dead on. The plane is absolutely perfect, and I know what to do on the next one too.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:33 PM
Fly Big, Fly Hard!
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
922 Posts
Everyone still using 3300 6S packs for this plane? Just checking in case anyone has gone to a different size pack.

I have been using mainly the nano tech 3300 6S packs but also fly the 3000s and even (with very light throttle) 2650 6S nano's.
Royster is offline Find More Posts by Royster
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:36 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,372 Posts
I got to looking at the plane over some more and realized it also has a broken X mount on the motor. Since I have to order that anyway, I went ahead and got a new rudder, pair of wheel pants and a set of SFGs. This will put the plane back in absolute brand new condition. I thought about doing this the last time I did maintainence, but put it off. good things because the accisdent scraped up both SFGs and wheel pants!

I used a little debond and got the other two hinges to slide out reasonably easy. I cleaned it all up with lacquer thinner, tightened up the covering on the rudder post and it's going to go back together just fine.

I was kind of bummed out because the plane was starting to get a little ragged, but the new pieces will set it all back to like new. The plane is about a year and three months old, and I lost track of the flight numbers a long time ago. I have just literally flown the crap out of it, but this plane seems to like it.

I keep resisting buying a red one because this one is still flies and looks damm good, but I do want to get one eventually.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:40 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royster View Post
Everyone still using 3300 6S packs for this plane? Just checking in case anyone has gone to a different size pack.

I have been using mainly the nano tech 3300 6S packs but also fly the 3000s and even (with very light throttle) 2650 6S nano's.
The plane was designed for 6s 3300s. I'm running 6s 3850 65C packs and even with them all the way back against the tube I am nose heavy. Remember, though, that the 65C packs are denser and heavier that packs with lower C rating. I just piced the wrong packs for the plane, but I now have 1.5 ounces bolted to the tailwheel bracket, and the CG is absolute dead on. I think with 6s 3300 packs the CG would be dead on with no weight.

Once I got that CG nailed it transformed the plane. I previously wanted more pitch authority, but with the CG right I am really, really happy with it,
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:49 PM
Fly Big, Fly Hard!
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin View Post
The plane was designed for 6s 3300s. I'm running 6s 3850 65C packs and even with them all the way back against the tube I am nose heavy. Remember, though, that the 65C packs are denser and heavier that packs with lower C rating. I just piced the wrong packs for the plane, but I now have 1.5 ounces bolted to the tailwheel bracket, and the CG is absolute dead on. I think with 6s 3300 packs the CG would be dead on with no weight.

Once I got that CG nailed it transformed the plane. I previously wanted more pitch authority, but with the CG right I am really, really happy with it,
Even with a 3300 the plane is still a tad nose heavy with the pack right up against the wing tube, definitely not neutral. The 3000 is better but you have to be careful and use throttle management. The 2650 is great making the plane very "floaty" but have to be very mindful of time and throttle.
Might have to do what you did Doc and add a little weight down the rear end, that way I can play with CG a bit more.
Royster is offline Find More Posts by Royster
Old Jan 21, 2013, 04:54 PM
Some.. call him Tim...
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2008
6,342 Posts
That dosent sound right! A 3300 should be way up front?

Ive built three of these(two for me, one for a friend), and we fly 3600-3700mah in the extra. With the recommended set up, a 600g pack should be against the wing tube, or a half inch from the wing tube, if the plane is built with all recommended equipment.

I did add an aluminum do bro tailwheel, to help offset the weight hair. I also moved the Esc to the aft side of the firewall, but those were the only mods, and wernt really needed. I just wanted some more adjustment room, and wasn't happy with a 3700 against the wing tube.
Ducati Mechanic is offline Find More Posts by Ducati Mechanic
Last edited by Ducati Mechanic; Jan 21, 2013 at 05:01 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:25 AM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,372 Posts
I can't wait to get this thing back into the air and start pushing it harder with the CG more correct. The last change I made really brought the plane to life. It was actually a bit startling how much better the plane is and how much better it feels.

Previously I wanted some more pitch authority out of it, but now it's got plenty.

I've loved this plane all along, but now it think we can take the performance up another notch. It is much more like a 48 in it's responsiveness, which can't quite believe just yet.

I gotta get a red one too.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 01:28 AM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,637 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royster View Post
Even with a 3300 the plane is still a tad nose heavy with the pack right up against the wing tube, definitely not neutral. The 3000 is better but you have to be careful and use throttle management. The 2650 is great making the plane very "floaty" but have to be very mindful of time and throttle.
Might have to do what you did Doc and add a little weight down the rear end, that way I can play with CG a bit more.
Don't worry mate, mine nose heavy as well even with 35C Nanotech 6s3300 packs.

I am running a castle ice 100A esc though and today have changed over to the Ice lite 100A to see if that shifts a few grams back toward the tail a bit.

This is my second extra, the first one had the white covering over the first former on the fuse and the plane balanced neutral about 3/4" in-front of wing tube with my packs.
Second fuse I got doesn't have any covering over first former and with all the same gear swapped over the second plane is nose heavy. Go figure!
bigroger is offline Find More Posts by bigroger
Old Jan 22, 2013, 07:18 PM
Thumbs in training
United States, OR, Damascus
Joined Feb 2012
120 Posts
Was wondering if there are many issues with the cut off switch on the airboss ESC? Was out flying today and got two flights in then put new lipo in and flipped the esc switch and nothing. Disconnected lipo and put another in and same result. This ESC only has 15 flights on it. Just strange that it went from working to nothing. Any ideas?
ryyoungs is offline Find More Posts by ryyoungs
Old Jan 22, 2013, 07:36 PM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,334 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryyoungs View Post
Was wondering if there are many issues with the cut off switch on the airboss ESC? Was out flying today and got two flights in then put new lipo in and flipped the esc switch and nothing. Disconnected lipo and put another in and same result. This ESC only has 15 flights on it. Just strange that it went from working to nothing. Any ideas?
I had a bad ESC once, but it was on first power up. Electronics will most often fail, if they fail, early in life, or late in life.

If you can, inspect the ESC. Look at the chips. Do you see any damage?

Are you using an external BEC or RX battery?

Contact EF, I bet they take care of you if it was just infant mortality.
7oneWo1f is online now Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Jan 22, 2013, 07:51 PM
Thumbs in training
United States, OR, Damascus
Joined Feb 2012
120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolfRC View Post
I had a bad ESC once, but it was on first power up. Electronics will most often fail, if they fail, early in life, or late in life.

If you can, inspect the ESC. Look at the chips. Do you see any damage?

Are you using an external BEC or RX battery?

Contact EF, I bet they take care of you if it was just infant mortality.
No BEC. I'll give EF a call. My only worry is I'm not original owner. The guy I bought it from only put 5 flights on it. I also have to order new landing gear for my 48" edge. Landed in a rough area of the field and snapped the gear by wheel pants. There's stupid gofer holes, they are like land minds. Needless to say my flying day was cut short. Even took the day off work just to fly, have to take advantage of nice days here in the NW.
ryyoungs is offline Find More Posts by ryyoungs