Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 08, 2013, 10:58 PM
inverted-i-fly
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Big Head View Post
I cannot put my finger on it but my 60 inch Extra gets less flight time than my 57 Extra SC and my 59 Slick. I am thinking I read a dozen pages back or so that the Extra needs more battery weight to lock in maneuvers. I have been running Zippy 3000 5 cells and Gens 3300 5 cells with the Motrolfly 4315-668. I checked the EF site and the 5 cell recommended sizes are 3800 to 5000. I get neutral balance about 1.5 inches in front of the wing tube with the 3300s so I believe there is room to move a 4000 towards the wing tube and still get a neutral balance. 4000 5 cell gens are one of the few batteries HobbyPartz has in stock. Weird to think more weight would help it fly better. I may just add some parasitic weight first before dropping 120.00 on two 4000s.
let us know what you find, I love both my 57 Extra Sc and 60" extra, I fly both on 2500 and 3300 6s, I find the 57 easier in low and slow, but the 60" better at precision and tumbles, it also has much greater tail authority and a faster spin rate
3drcparts is offline Find More Posts by 3drcparts
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 09, 2013, 08:57 AM
Got the Slickness
Seattle, WA
Joined Jul 2010
2,511 Posts
Quote:
I cannot put my finger on it but my 60 inch Extra gets less flight time than my 57 Extra SC and my 59 Slick. I am thinking I read a dozen pages back or so that the Extra needs more battery weight to lock in maneuvers. I have been running Zippy 3000 5 cells and Gens 3300 5 cells with the Motrolfly 4315-668. I checked the EF site and the 5 cell recommended sizes are 3800 to 5000. I get neutral balance about 1.5 inches in front of the wing tube with the 3300s so I believe there is room to move a 4000 towards the wing tube and still get a neutral balance. 4000 5 cell gens are one of the few batteries HobbyPartz has in stock. Weird to think more weight would help it fly better. I may just add some parasitic weight first before dropping 120.00 on two 4000s.
I think you may have hit on something that is not talked about as much as proper CG, and that is component weight (which translates into overall weight, since the same ARF kit weighs the same) ... and more specifically battery weight. I have found my EF 60" Extra does seem to fly alittle better with my heavier lipos. I am old school still flying 4s 4000mah. The lighter Gen Ace 25Cs weigh in a 432 grams versus the Zippy's 40Cs at 465 grams.
gabrielisrael is offline Find More Posts by gabrielisrael
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by gabrielisrael; Jan 09, 2013 at 09:03 AM.
Old Jan 09, 2013, 09:09 AM
Got the Slickness
Seattle, WA
Joined Jul 2010
2,511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by myp View Post
I put the vortex generators on the 60" Extra when I first built it, and so I could not tell if they made a difference. I did notice a slight improvement in slow speed landing approach in my 59" Slick. Having said that, it could very well has been psychological as I am not a skilled pilot.

As for wheel pants, I do not put them on to 1) save weight (you probably noticed that the Extra did not have a spinner either) and 2) the field gets muddy in the winter and I do not enjoy clearing mud from wheel pants.

mike
Thanks for your imput on the votex generators Mike... much appreciated.

Just joking around about the wheel pants. I have friends that do the same as you for similar reason, and some of the guys here on RCGroups who really are great flyers dont use spinners. I always thought the reasoning behind the lack of a spinner was for better cooling of the components.
gabrielisrael is offline Find More Posts by gabrielisrael
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:07 AM
myp
Joined Oct 2007
1,103 Posts
Better cooling is another reason for my not putting on a spinner. However, I fly early in the morning in northern California and so heat is not a problem. The other reason is that I find it very hard to properly balance a spinner.
myp is offline Find More Posts by myp
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:19 AM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,280 Posts
7oneWo1f is online now Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Last edited by 7oneWo1f; Jan 11, 2013 at 08:13 AM. Reason: might be misconstrued, yet again
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:55 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,366 Posts
Quote:
Better cooling is another reason for my not putting on a spinner. However, I fly early in the morning in northern California and so heat is not a problem. The other reason is that I find it very hard to properly balance a spinner.
I have really good results with the Extreme Flight spinners. They fit, they are inexpensive, and they look good. I've never balanced one, but I've never had to either.

As far as cooling, the Extra has some pretty big inets on either side of the motor. There's no spinner ring on the cowling, so that lets a lot of additional air in there. That and trhe Extreme Flight spinners are ventillated.

I spent all summer trying to blow up a 4015/500 Mk II test motor in the Florida heat and never had a problem. I'm still flying it in my Extra EXP. I think the Extra probably has the best cooling set up on all the EXPs.
Doc Austin is offline Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old Jan 11, 2013, 07:29 AM
Back in the hobby- ALL in!
United States, NH, Greenland
Joined Feb 2012
968 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin View Post
I have really good results with the Extreme Flight spinners. They fit, they are inexpensive, and they look good. I've never balanced one, but I've never had to either.

As far as cooling, the Extra has some pretty big inets on either side of the motor. There's no spinner ring on the cowling, so that lets a lot of additional air in there. That and trhe Extreme Flight spinners are ventillated.

I spent all summer trying to blow up a 4015/500 Mk II test motor in the Florida heat and never had a problem. I'm still flying it in my Extra EXP. I think the Extra probably has the best cooling set up on all the EXPs.
Doc, we can always count on an unbiased opinion and report on the EXP 60" Extra from you! Love it and just joshin. Really appreciate the time and effort you put into these threads and blogs. Information and humor with a healthy dash of sarcasm. If I ever see a 60" extra feeling lonely or neglected I know exactly where to send it- to see the "Doc"! Fly low and hard!
dth7 is online now Find More Posts by dth7
Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:21 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dth7 View Post
Doc, we can always count on an unbiased opinion and report on the EXP 60" Extra from you!
Thanks, but I do have to admit that I am a little weird for Extras. My 60" has just been crazy good.

When Chris was testing the new Torque 4016 Mk II motors, he wanted one flown hard in the Florida summer, so I got one. I had to fly it hard, so my poor Extra EXP got schitthammered every single day, be it in 95 degree heat or an August Florida monsoon. The conditions almost killed me but the plane and power system didn't miss a lick. This plane took the ultimate stress test, and the thing still looks brand new.

I recently took it apart to check everything and give it a good cleaning, and now it is like a brand new plane, in spite of how hard and how often I flew it.

Quote:
Really appreciate the time and effort you put into these threads and blogs.
Thanks so much for the kind words, and thanks for checking out my blog. Please share it with your friends.

Old Jan 11, 2013, 01:39 PM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,145 Posts
Bloga. Hahaha thats so Doc
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Jan 11, 2013, 02:23 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,366 Posts
Blog-ola.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 04:56 PM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin View Post
Blog-ola.
bahaha oops.. stupid mobile phone and fat fingers.
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Jan 12, 2013, 12:14 PM
Santi
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Nov 2003
1,597 Posts
Quote:
The EF spinners are amongst the best of the best for these small electrics... They are ventilated so cooling is not an issue at all... And every one I've had has been perfectly balanced! They are so good, even 3dhs sells them on their online store! Technically I believe the spinner is beneficial for aerodynamic reasons as well, but I don't know if we would notice in RC... lol! And last reason- it just looks sloppy when you don't have a spinner imo!
DaaBears is online now Find More Posts by DaaBears
Old Jan 12, 2013, 12:51 PM
aka ECAA3D
United States, WA, Olympia
Joined Apr 2012
1,139 Posts
Quote:
I use the gens ace 4000mah 25c with the Hacker A5014xsv2 and a Ice 75. No issues.

BTW these batteries were 20.00 cheaper a couple months ago.
CG is right at the wing tube.Seems to do everything a bit better a slightly nose heavy than a neutral CG. Especially pop tops. KE spins are a bit more difficult to enter but not unmanageable. Going to the heavier Aeronaut prop gave me perfect CG with the battery against the wingtube.

It's too cold up here to worry about spinners causing overheating issues
m0dest is offline Find More Posts by m0dest
Old Jan 12, 2013, 03:05 PM
Santi
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Nov 2003
1,597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecaa3d View Post

I use the gens ace 4000mah 25c with the Hacker A5014xsv2 and a Ice 75. No issues.

BTW these batteries were 20.00 cheaper a couple months ago.
CG is right at the wing tube.Seems to do everything a bit better a slightly nose heavy than a neutral CG. Especially pop tops. KE spins are a bit more difficult to enter but not unmanageable. Going to the heavier Aeronaut prop gave me perfect CG with the battery against the wingtube.

It's too cold up here to worry about spinners causing overheating issues
Gens ace took a HUGE price increase across the board... There's no better way to make me shop for another battery!
DaaBears is online now Find More Posts by DaaBears
Old Jan 12, 2013, 03:19 PM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,280 Posts
Yep, gens ace: Too high cost, and not consistent performance in my experience. When I get a good one, it is great.
7oneWo1f is online now Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f