HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 05, 2013, 12:31 PM
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Aug 2011
173 Posts
You just never know with the cheaper batteries, I was given some Win-max nano platinum 30c 3S 2200's, I thought they'd be junk, but I've flown them in my 48" 3DHS foam planes and they're great, no puffing etc...... I would try some in 6S, but they wouldn't get here til Feb. I still might order a few to try, they're $30ea.
RFairbairn is offline Find More Posts by RFairbairn
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 05, 2013, 01:57 PM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigroger View Post
The point of sample accuracy is interesting.

I purchased 4 of the revo 60C 6s5000 packs and comparing to 65C Nano of the same size the Revo were horrible.

My issue is that for a brand that's been around sooooo long there is very little feedback when you google them in the www.

If you google any other brand you will find pages and pages of good and bad reports for every brand.
I like you bigroger, but you're the *only* person I know about who didn't like revo, and I think they gave you your money back didn't they?

I'm not sure what is going on between you and revo, but criticizing the battery without actually saying what technically was wrong (other than "very poor IR") isn't a good way for others to decide to use a battery.

What was the IR you got and on what battery? If you said so before, I forgot.

Regarding lack of track record, they don't seem to do much in the way of advertising, sponsoring pilots, etc. Nobody is putting kick bootie revolectrix batteries at the end of their videos. Does that mean they're bad? Not really, though it sounds like in your case you were not happy.
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Last edited by 7oneWo1f; Jan 06, 2013 at 12:59 PM. Reason: word substitution
Old Jan 05, 2013, 02:53 PM
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Aug 2011
173 Posts
I would have tried the Revo's, just didn't want to spend that much for this plane. Revo obviously knows what they're doing, I have the Powerlab 8 and couldn't imagine a better charger. I may order some of the high end Revo's for my 71" Slick.
Again, thanks for all the helpful, yet mind twisting info
RFairbairn is offline Find More Posts by RFairbairn
Old Jan 05, 2013, 03:55 PM
Joined Nov 2011
8,300 Posts
To be honest, I don't have any revos for a 60" yet either. I have some Revos for 48" sized planes. I did just buy a thunderpower for a 48", still haven't used it though.
Old Jan 05, 2013, 04:47 PM
Some.. call him Tim...
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2008
6,340 Posts
I'm all about the GEN Ace 65 to 100 C!! Unfortunately, now that people are catching on, their hard to get!!
The set of five cell 5000's, I'm using in my 78, sold me..there almost as powerful, at the end of the pack, as the beginning.. which is way more than the plane needs through the whole flight!! Excellent sustained power..
Ducati Mechanic is online now Find More Posts by Ducati Mechanic
Old Jan 05, 2013, 04:51 PM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,637 Posts
Wolf,
You have seen my data over on the battery threads mate.

I'm not bashing just trying to provide balance buddy, please everyone go out and buy revo packs to compare.
The more people who run them the better.

For reference again for the tenth time for wolf, the IR I got on the 60C6s5000 revo packs was around 6-7 mOhm per cell at storage voltage after several cycles.
My nanos is 1-2mOhm per cell.
bigroger is offline Find More Posts by bigroger
Old Jan 05, 2013, 05:19 PM
aka ECAA3D
United States, WA, Olympia
Joined Apr 2012
1,143 Posts
Quote:
The point of sample accuracy is interesting.

I purchased 4 of the revo 60C 6s5000 packs and comparing to 65C Nano of the same size the Revo were horrible.

My issue is that for a brand that's been around sooooo long there is very little feedback when you google them in the www.

If you google any other brand you will find pages and pages of good and bad reports for every brand.
Did you actually fly the Revo packs or just static test them?

My Gensace are kicking ass as well as Sky, Haiyin and Nanotechs. All didn't fare too well the first few cycles when they were broken in. A very reputable source scored the Nanos below the Revos. That said....my nanotechs lose quite a bit of power through the last half of the cycle in comparison to the GensAce
m0dest is offline Find More Posts by m0dest
Old Jan 05, 2013, 06:36 PM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,637 Posts
Did not fly the Revo packs.

The static testing, watts-up measuring, temperature gain on discharge plus the IR numbers off my iCharger, which were assessed by a very knowledgeable forum member who has many years experience and a lot of faith in the IR numbers from ichargers and the comparison to field flight.

I'm not trying to claim the revo's are a poor source of lipo packs, just the 4 I purchased were poor by my assesment. YMMV applies.

I've had dud Revo, Gens, Sky, Turnigy and Nanotech packs from all the sources as well.
But back to back static testing looking at peak rpm and peak watts and degree of volt sag under load is enough for me to know if they will be worth flying with.

Like I said earlier, where's the army of happy revo pack customers. Apparently these packs have been in the heli market for some time yet I couldn't find many google references in any of the plane or heli forums around.
Old Jan 05, 2013, 08:14 PM
aka ECAA3D
United States, WA, Olympia
Joined Apr 2012
1,143 Posts
Quote:
Did not fly the Revo packs.

The static testing, watts-up measuring, temperature gain on discharge plus the IR numbers off my iCharger, which were assessed by a very knowledgeable forum member who has many years experience and a lot of faith in the IR numbers from ichargers and the comparison to field flight.

I'm not trying to claim the revo's are a poor source of lipo packs, just the 4 I purchased were poor by my assesment. YMMV applies.

I've had dud Revo, Gens, Sky, Turnigy and Nanotech packs from all the sources as well.
But back to back static testing looking at peak rpm and peak watts and degree of volt sag under load is enough for me to know if they will be worth flying with.

Like I said earlier, where's the army of happy revo pack customers. Apparently these packs have been in the heli market for some time yet I couldn't find many google references in any of the plane or heli forums around.

Lipos sort of need a break in period I've found. I generally do a couple couple cycles on the Hyperion but they don't really show consistency until around 10 flights or so.
m0dest is offline Find More Posts by m0dest
Old Jan 05, 2013, 08:41 PM
Joined Nov 2011
8,300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecaa3d View Post
Lipos sort of need a break in period I've found. I generally do a couple couple cycles on the Hyperion but they don't really show consistency until around 10 flights or so.
I agree I have found this too, but RevoJohn claims their packs don't need this, or that lipos in general don't need this. Chemisty is way outside of what I know well, though.
Old Jan 05, 2013, 11:12 PM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,637 Posts
Quote:
If you read my previous post to this one you will note that I cycled them through the charger 4 times trying to get the IR to settle and it did not drop significantly from what was delivered.

I don't hold a grudge, John from revo is a fellow countryman making it in Singapore so hat off to him. I'm just letting some light in here that my one sample was pretty ordinary, wolfs sample seems pretty good and that other chap wolf quoted was good as well.

Over on the battery threads there are several guys that have tried these previously that were disappointed.

And wolf, I have tried to stay objective to your direct criticisms of my findings when you yourself have published little to nothing analytical about your Revo packs appart from 'your son feels they have more power left at the end of flight compared to your worn out Gens packs'. That comparison I find has little basis unless you have measured peak watts, volt sag or something with same analytics behind it.

I'm just stating that I had concerns flying the 60C 6s5000 packs in my 50cc size model and was not prepared to risk over $3000 work of airplane to packs that I found to be of concern.

YMMV.
Old Jan 06, 2013, 12:16 AM
Joined Nov 2011
8,300 Posts
bigrog, I dropped it what did I say now? Was it that I said nothing else on the subject? I appreciate you explaining your reasoning. sorry to get under your skin.

Jeeez...

Anyway, I put up some IR numbers vis-a-vis the 25c gens ace packs....and mentioned my son could tell the difference in flight. Numbers matter but so does subjective "how does it feel?"

I haven't tried the nanos but I might now. I have so far only run the REVO batteries in whatever a 48" plane costs with good digital programmable servos. Less than $3000. For a three thousand dollar plane I see better why you are very particular.

I also plan to compare against a thunder power 65c battery.

I have a watt meter but don't take much stock in that for my purposes.
Last edited by 7oneWo1f; Jan 06, 2013 at 12:26 AM.
Old Jan 06, 2013, 12:42 AM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,366 Posts
In completely unrelated news........................

Workhorse Of The Year: 60" Extra EXP
Doc Austin is offline Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old Jan 06, 2013, 01:03 AM
They will soar on wings..
USA, CA, Danville
Joined Aug 2004
1,163 Posts
A few pics from Rancho

Here are a few cell phone camera pictures; not the highest resolution, but you get the idea. We tried a group takeoff into a hover, and it was fun to fly three 60" Extras together. Definitely need to practice some coordinated 3D moves prior to the next photo session.

Ron
rsasaki is offline Find More Posts by rsasaki
Old Jan 06, 2013, 04:40 AM
Some.. call him Tim...
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2008
6,340 Posts
Looking good rsasaki!!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolfRC View Post
I agree I have found this too, but RevoJohn claims their packs don't need this, or that lipos in general don't need this. Chemisty is way outside of what I know well, though.

Very true, And electrical tests are Subjected to a number of outside forces. the same person can do the same test, on a different day, with a different airplane and get totally different results
A healthy battery discussion is a good thing,but let's not get our panties in wad..;-)

I found no matter how good the information is that you post, someone will always dispute it. Like I always say..."This is free information from me to you, take it or throw it away"... You can't make people believe what you say..

Oh by the way.. I have been upgrading all of my packs to Gen-Ace 65c, but I'm still using a pair of old blue Turnage 3600 6s $50 packs! that probably have 1000 flights and they keep plugging along.. So unless a manufacture is a total failure, there really is no right answer, to battery wars!!!!!!!!! ;-)
Ducati Mechanic is online now Find More Posts by Ducati Mechanic
Last edited by Ducati Mechanic; Jan 06, 2013 at 04:51 AM.