HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 16, 2012, 11:53 PM
It's gone...
Germany, NRW, Heinsberg
Joined Aug 2004
5,099 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati Mechanic View Post
We found that these planes really like a Heaver battery.
Who is "We"?
Just curious.
_OZ_ is offline Find More Posts by _OZ_
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 17, 2012, 12:04 AM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Apr 2009
7,644 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OZ_ View Post
Who is "We"?
Just curious.
Tim and the voices in his head.
Irg is offline Find More Posts by Irg
Old Dec 17, 2012, 12:42 AM
Some.. call him Tim...
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2008
6,342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OZ_ View Post
Who is "We"?
Just curious.
If you have the time to read threw the thread(i never do),The 50 guys that were flying this plane when it first came out..

I was one of the first to start flying 3600s in the Edge, and it didn't take long to catch on. now if you ask Daniel Holman, he'll tell you that 3600s are the sweet spot..

As I said before, the plane just digs into its moves better, if it's too light it pops out of them..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irg View Post
Tim and the voices in his head.

You don't want to know, what those voices say..
Ducati Mechanic is online now Find More Posts by Ducati Mechanic
Last edited by Ducati Mechanic; Dec 17, 2012 at 12:52 AM.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 04:39 AM
Joined Aug 2012
9 Posts
[QUOTE=

I've have had great luck with the HS5245MG, but not until I had reset the deadbands. I was getting extremely poor centering until I bought a programmer and set them all at 1. You want your deadbands as low as possible, and mine came out of the box at something like 2, 5, 7, 8.

The plane was always flew fine except I was trimming it out on every straight pass. It just woukdn't stay trimmed out, because the servos were centering so poorly. Once I reset the dead bands, the plane became super locked in and groovy.

You can get a Hi tec servo programmer that works on your PC for as little as $25, but I bought the expensive one because I can use it at the field. It saved me once when I forgot to set the dead bands on my new MXS. The heli guys are always wanting to borrow it too, so now I just keep the programmer in my glovebox.

If you're in Florida, stop by and we'll set your servos up![/QUOTE]
Unfortunately i don't reside in the US. A friend of mine has a Hitec prgrammer, i'll get him to do it
Ahmd is offline Find More Posts by Ahmd
Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:37 PM
United States, OR, Molalla
Joined Oct 2010
460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati Mechanic View Post
If you have the time to read threw the thread(i never do),The 50 guys that were flying this plane when it first came out..

I was one of the first to start flying 3600s in the Edge, and it didn't take long to catch on. now if you ask Daniel Holman, he'll tell you that 3600s are the sweet spot..

As I said before, the plane just digs into its moves better, if it's too light it pops out of them..

You don't want to know, what those voices say..
I run 4000's and I think they're great. These planes are so light that I think the extra weight is good.
jlloyd1995 is offline Find More Posts by jlloyd1995
Old Dec 22, 2012, 03:56 PM
Back in the hobby- ALL in!
United States, NH, Greenland
Joined Feb 2012
968 Posts
Well, the build on my 60" Extra officially started today. Just went over the entire airframe with an iron. I haven't covered anything in a LONG time. didn't realize how much heat Ultracoat needs. Got it all tight as a drum now! Any build pointers (other than the manual and build videos)? I went over all the joints and seams in the motor box and firewall/ battery compartment with thin CA. Any other gems of wisdom would be welcome.
Thanks.
dth7 is offline Find More Posts by dth7
Old Dec 22, 2012, 05:02 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dth7 View Post
Any build pointers (other than the manual and build videos)?
Check my 60" Extra blog report for set up photos and such.

Note: Since flying the plane I have since moved the ball links on the ailerons to the opposite side of the control horn.
Doc Austin is offline Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old Dec 22, 2012, 05:24 PM
Some.. call him Tim...
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2008
6,342 Posts
Just follow the directions, and if you have any questions? feel free to ask! with a build of this quality There's no need to rush..
Ducati Mechanic is online now Find More Posts by Ducati Mechanic
Old Dec 22, 2012, 05:50 PM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dth7 View Post
Well, the build on my 60" Extra officially started today. Just went over the entire airframe with an iron. I haven't covered anything in a LONG time. didn't realize how much heat Ultracoat needs. Got it all tight as a drum now! Any build pointers (other than the manual and build videos)? I went over all the joints and seams in the motor box and firewall/ battery compartment with thin CA. Any other gems of wisdom would be welcome.
Thanks.
One thing I like to do on all ARFs is wait until I get the control surfaces hinged before I put the control arm in. This way I can make sure the hole in the control arm is perpendicular to the hinge line.

Another thing you could do is seal the hinges with ultracote (plug for son's lemonade stand).
7oneWo1f is online now Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Dec 26, 2012, 12:10 PM
LI NY
Joined Sep 2008
1,011 Posts
I had a red one that broke in half when I was hucking DOD & someone on the flightline was messing around with a foamy and did a KE pass 2 feet in front of my face. I jumped because it came out of nowhere and I broke my fuse in 2.

I bought the blue one last week. I finished it in 1 day. But I didn't find the LG cuffs until I pulled out the cowl & my gear was already on. There was nothing in the directions about them either. So mine are not installed because I'd have to take apart the wheel pants & tires to put them on.

I have the original motor not the MK II so I'm running a xoar 15x7. I also have a "special" ESC that I am beta testing (not airboss) that looks promising so far.
fierce is offline Find More Posts by fierce
Old Dec 26, 2012, 01:52 PM
Joined Nov 2011
8,331 Posts
Department of Defense?

That sucks about somebody KE passing your face...did he apologize, or buy you a new airframe?
Old Dec 26, 2012, 02:33 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,368 Posts
Doc Austin is offline Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old Dec 26, 2012, 04:06 PM
It's gone...
Germany, NRW, Heinsberg
Joined Aug 2004
5,099 Posts
DOD = Down On Deck
_OZ_ is offline Find More Posts by _OZ_
Old Dec 26, 2012, 04:16 PM
Joined Nov 2011
8,331 Posts
Thanks Oz!
Old Dec 27, 2012, 05:28 PM
Got the Slickness
Seattle, WA
Joined Jul 2010
2,514 Posts
[QUOTE=

I've have had great luck with the HS5245MG, but not until I had reset the deadbands. I was getting extremely poor centering until I bought a programmer and set them all at 1. You want your deadbands as low as possible, and mine came out of the box at something like 2, 5, 7, 8.

The plane was always flew fine except I was trimming it out on every straight pass. It just woukdn't stay trimmed out, because the servos were centering so poorly. Once I reset the dead bands, the plane became super locked in and groovy.

You can get a Hi tec servo programmer that works on your PC for as little as $25, but I bought the expensive one because I can use it at the field. It saved me once when I forgot to set the dead bands on my new MXS. The heli guys are always wanting to borrow it too, so now I just keep the programmer in my glovebox.

If you're in Florida, stop by and we'll set your servos up![/QUOTE]

Anyone familiar using the Hitec HPP-21 Programmer with their PC? Can I set the dead band on my servos that are already installed in my airframes as long as I can plug the servo into the programmer by the computer?
gabrielisrael is offline Find More Posts by gabrielisrael
RCG Plus Member