HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 07, 2012, 12:37 AM
Aer0bat
United States, CA, Laguna Hills
Joined Sep 2011
18 Posts
Thanks all. Never thought about using duct tape to finish the edges. Should be pretty simple to put something together.

I have some build questions regarding the elevator installation:

1. What do you use to measure from the wing tube to the elevator? I've heard people use string, but I would think that would stretch, and its hard to hold a meter stick steady and get a good reading. Just wondering what the consensus is on the most effective/preferred method to get this right.

2. What points do you measure between? I am thinking the outer tip/trailing edge of the wing tube to the rear most corner of the elevator control surface. Or should I be measuring to the leading edge/corner of the stab?

3. Do I need to do some final trimming of the ultracote so the wood from the fuselage is in contact with wood on the stab? Right now, as it stands, I'd be gluing the wood on the fuse to mostly covering on the stab. Will this hold? The stab fits pretty loosely, moreso than I though it would. The vid said to use gap filling CA,and it looks like I'll be using quite a lot of it.

4. What is the margin of error on squaring up the elevator? If I'm off a couple mm, is that going to cause problems?

I want to get this right so I don't end up with poor performance, so any help/guidance is sincerely appreciated.
agent3mc is offline Find More Posts by agent3mc
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2012, 12:46 AM
inverted-i-fly
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,102 Posts
I use a metal tape measure, I put the wing on, tape the ailerons to neutral and measure from the outer tip of the elevator to the outer tip of the aileron, also measure side to side on the horizontal stab, once I'm happy, I go have a beer. The next morning I look at again and if it is still perfect and also check for the wing and stab to be perfectly in line by sighting down the plane I drops two drops of thin Ca on the joint, come back latter and remeasure everything and if it still looks perfect I thin Ca it and I follow up with some medium CA. A bit off won't matter much in flight but it will bug you to no end because you will see it every time you fly away from your self
3drcparts is offline Find More Posts by 3drcparts
Old Dec 07, 2012, 11:12 AM
United States, CA, Redding
Joined Feb 2011
1,026 Posts
I maidened mine yesterday. I can already tell it is going to be an awesome aircraft. I too struggle with the alignment of the rear stab on every build. I like your ideas of setting it up and going to have a beer! Mine was pretty loose too but I just used some medium ca at the gaps and so far so good.
Mr Big Head is online now Find More Posts by Mr Big Head
Old Dec 07, 2012, 11:42 AM
Back in the hobby- ALL in!
United States, NH, Greenland
Joined Feb 2012
877 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Big Head View Post
I maidened mine yesterday. I can already tell it is going to be an awesome aircraft. I too struggle with the alignment of the rear stab on every build. I like your ideas of setting it up and going to have a beer! Mine was pretty loose too but I just used some medium ca at the gaps and so far so good.
I haven't gotten to that on my build yet but on others I've used baking powder with thin CA as a filler. Caution- fill the gap with the powder first then weep in the ca. It sets hard and is difficult to sand. I've used it on foamies too. Would pins help set it for glue once it's line up?
dth7 is offline Find More Posts by dth7
Old Dec 07, 2012, 05:44 PM
Some.. call him Tim...
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2008
6,267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Big Head View Post
Congrats! It's a great plane!

Yeah I think that's a daunting task for all of us, I measure it about 20 times before I tack it with a few drops of CA. Then I measured it again, before I do the final gluing.
Ducati Mechanic is offline Find More Posts by Ducati Mechanic
Old Dec 07, 2012, 06:05 PM
aka ECAA3D
United States, WA, Olympia
Joined Apr 2012
1,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dth7 View Post
I haven't gotten to that on my build yet but on others I've used baking powder with thin CA as a filler. Caution- fill the gap with the powder first then weep in the ca. It sets hard and is difficult to sand. I've used it on foamies too. Would pins help set it for glue once it's line up?

Yet another great use for baking powder. Medium CA usually fills it within a couple passes after a couple passes of thin CA

Quote:
I want to get this right so I don't end up with poor performance, so any help/guidance is sincerely appreciated.
I think this is the point that hold most up....it's a good screw up if you dork it. I measure from the leading edge of the wing tip as it holds the tape measure in place. Make sure you check the stabilizer horizontally as well. Eyeball it to your wings...don't measure from the ground up. Once in position and you have measured and re-measured don't screw around and tack it. Then measure it again.

If anything is out of place you can use a couple drops of CA debonder and reposition.

After the first 2 planes the 3rd is much easier. Like 2 days pondering with the CA in hand easier. Spend more time making sure it is correct and confidently glue it in place. Once tacked and a couploe of passes of thin CA, you are golden to start using your filler glue.
m0dest is offline Find More Posts by m0dest
Old Dec 11, 2012, 02:39 PM
Thumbs in training
United States, OR, Damascus
Joined Feb 2012
114 Posts
I found a used 60" extra for sale and was wondering what you guys think I should pay for it. The plane only has a few flights on it and from the pics I've seen is in great shape. It comes with extreme flight motor/esc and JR DS3421 servos. I know the used plane market is soft right now and don't want to over pay.
ryyoungs is offline Find More Posts by ryyoungs
Old Dec 11, 2012, 02:44 PM
aka ECAA3D
United States, WA, Olympia
Joined Apr 2012
1,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryyoungs View Post
I found a used 60" extra for sale and was wondering what you guys think I should pay for it. The plane only has a few flights on it and from the pics I've seen is in great shape. It comes with extreme flight motor/esc and JR DS3421 servos. I know the used plane market is soft right now and don't want to over pay.
300-400ish if it is good shape.

The airframe new will cost you 310.00 those servos are not cheap.
m0dest is offline Find More Posts by m0dest
Old Dec 11, 2012, 02:56 PM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,046 Posts
ryyoungs, look at what it would cost you to build this plane, verify he built it well--horizontal stab centered and equidistant from wing tube ends, parallel to wing tube, hinges done right, then decide how much his build time is worth. I am assuming it would be a local sale.
7oneWo1f is online now Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Dec 11, 2012, 05:57 PM
United States, OR, Molalla
Joined Oct 2010
456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryyoungs View Post
I built one with that setup and other top of the line stuff and it cost me well over $1000 and I got discounts on everything.
jlloyd1995 is offline Find More Posts by jlloyd1995
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:05 PM
Aer0bat
Joined Sep 2011
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati Mechanic View Post
Congrats! It's a great plane!

Yeah I think that's a daunting task for all of us, I measure it about 20 times before I tack it with a few drops of CA. Then I measured it again, before I do the final gluing.
Thanks all. I still would like to know if the bond between wood/ultracote is going to be OK, or if I need to trim away the ultracote so there is a wood/wood bond. I'm not sure if its normal or a fluke, but the covering on the stab extends well inside the fuse when the parts are fitted, so as it stands, I'd be gluing wood from the fuse to the covering on the stab.
Last edited by agent3mc; Dec 11, 2012 at 10:17 PM.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 05:36 AM
Some.. call him Tim...
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2008
6,267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by agent3mc View Post
Thanks all. I still would like to know if the bond between wood/ultracote is going to be OK, or if I need to trim away the ultracote so there is a wood/wood bond. I'm not sure if its normal or a fluke, but the covering on the stab extends well inside the fuse when the parts are fitted, so as it stands, I'd be gluing wood from the fuse to the covering on the stab.

There all like that. its not a issue, if you leave it.. I don't trim mine(Don't want to see wood, or have the covering shrink back), and I've never had a issue.. After using thin, and med CA, it never moves.

If it makes you feel better? Its fine to trim it back, just be careful that you don't cut into the wood, when removing the covering..
Ducati Mechanic is offline Find More Posts by Ducati Mechanic
Old Dec 12, 2012, 09:26 AM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,103 Posts
I remember a friend totalled out a plane that he had been flying for about a year, and we ripped the stab out to see what kind of bond you get with wood to covering.

We were amazed to disover that he had apparently tack glued the stab in with a couple of drops so he could measure it, and then forgot to go back and finish the job. That stab was held in there through all those flights, all those G forces and all that stress by just a couple of drops of CA.

In the old days we could have cut the covering back, or built the plane first and then covered everything, but modern Ca is so damm good that I almost never use anything else. I can't remember the last time I used epoxy, and I have not even seen a bottle of white glue since the 80s!

Now, with Laser cutting, everything fits so good that you almost never even need thick (gap filling) CA any more!
Doc Austin is online now Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old Dec 12, 2012, 03:30 PM
It's gone...
Germany, NRW, Heinsberg
Joined Aug 2004
5,065 Posts
Plus, you can debond CA for repairs. With epoxy you have to cut, scrape, grid and sand.

I dont cut back covering anymore either.
_OZ_ is offline Find More Posts by _OZ_
Old Dec 12, 2012, 05:55 PM
Aer0bat
Joined Sep 2011
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin View Post
I remember a friend totalled out a plane that he had been flying for about a year, and we ripped the stab out to see what kind of bond you get with wood to covering.

We were amazed to disover that he had apparently tack glued the stab in with a couple of drops so he could measure it, and then forgot to go back and finish the job. That stab was held in there through all those flights, all those G forces and all that stress by just a couple of drops of CA.

In the old days we could have cut the covering back, or built the plane first and then covered everything, but modern Ca is so damm good that I almost never use anything else. I can't remember the last time I used epoxy, and I have not even seen a bottle of white glue since the 80s!

Now, with Laser cutting, everything fits so good that you almost never even need thick (gap filling) CA any more!
awesome, thanks everyone! no trimming required!