HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 23, 2012, 07:01 PM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryyoungs View Post
Thanks. I'll probably go with the 5245s. Not sure I'm good enough to notice the difference. What size and brand prop do you recommend?
I'd stick with the 5245s on the extra. I am going with the 7245s on my MXS. But I never noticed anything with the 5245s on the extra...they worked just fine. Pick up an HPP-21 hitec programmer to set your deadband and end points.
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 23, 2012, 07:03 PM
Joined Nov 2011
8,290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hone1er View Post
Xoar 15x7, 15x8, or 16x7 if you get the power combo. I usually fly with a 15x8 but it's best to try different props and see what you like best.
I actually flew the 15x6 on my extra and liked it...it's not a bad prop to start on in my opinion, and was the one recommended in the manual if I remember correctly.

I'd not do a 16x prop unless you have some 3D experience. It took a lot for me to get used to with the 16x8 prop on the MXS, and I ended up dropping back to a 15x7 and liked it more. The torque rolls were pretty cool with the 16x8 though.

Just an opinion from somebody who was flying a 60" MXS probably about 10 months after I started flying RC...my experience, yours and others may vary.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 06:23 PM
aka ECAA3D
United States, WA, Olympia
Joined Apr 2012
1,140 Posts
7245 vs 5245

Just upgraded. Have 3 flights on the elevator, such an increase in speed and power I upgraded the last 3.

Way faster that the 5245s. Can't wait for this monsoon to stop.
m0dest is offline Find More Posts by m0dest
Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:50 PM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecaa3d View Post
Just upgraded. Have 3 flights on the elevator, such an increase in speed and power I upgraded the last 3.

Way faster that the 5245s. Can't wait for this monsoon to stop.
I'll never use the 5245s in my 60'' EF planes again. Not that they're bad AT ALL, they served me well for over 300 flights in the Extra, but i've been spoiled by the 7245s. It's definitely noticeable in flight, not make or break though....I doubt there is anything you can do with 7245s that you couldn't do with 5245s but you're just that much more connected to the plane when the servos move so much quicker. I remember the first time i did a pre flight check with the 7245s i could already tell they were WAY faster than the 5245s and that i was going to like them. They are a little pricey but i only plan on having one airframe this size flyable at any given time so i don't need to buy multiple sets of servos anyway. Right now this is actually my backup airframe, the servos are in the MXS and the 5245s were sold.
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:02 PM
Aer0bat
United States, CA, Laguna Hills
Joined Sep 2011
19 Posts
Quote:
I'll never use the 5245s in my 60'' EF planes again. Not that they're bad AT ALL, they served me well for over 300 flights in the Extra, but i've been spoiled by the 7245s. It's definitely noticeable in flight, not make or break though....I doubt there is anything you can do with 7245s that you couldn't do with 5245s but you're just that much more connected to the plane when the servos move so much quicker. I remember the first time i did a pre flight check with the 7245s i could already tell they were WAY faster than the 5245s and that i was going to like them. They are a little pricey but i only plan on having one airframe this size flyable at any given time so i don't need to buy multiple sets of servos anyway. Right now this is actually my backup airframe, the servos are in the MXS and the 5245s were sold.
I'm looking at the specs of the two and I'm seeing 0.11sec@7.4v on the 7245 vs. 0.12sec@6.0v on the 5245. Is it the torque that is making the difference? I'm also curious if you are using an HV ESC to get the increase in speed?

Thanks!
agent3mc is offline Find More Posts by agent3mc
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:09 PM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by agent3mc View Post
I'm looking at the specs of the two and I'm seeing 0.11sec@7.4v on the 7245 vs. 0.12sec@6.0v on the 5245. Is it the torque that is making the difference? I'm also curious if you are using an HV ESC to get the increase in speed?

Thanks!
I'm using a 10amp Castle Creations BEC set to 8.2v, the ESC is the airboss that comes in the combo(80A i think).
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
Old Dec 04, 2012, 12:38 AM
Aer0bat
Joined Sep 2011
19 Posts
Quote:
I'm using a 10amp Castle Creations BEC set to 8.2v, the ESC is the airboss that comes in the combo(80A i think).
didn't consider separate BEC. Makes sense.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 06:35 AM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,637 Posts
I second the 7245 servos.

I have them in my 60" extra set at 8.4V through cc bec and they are amazingly quick.

Even looks much quicker on the ground but also a lot smoother operation then the 5245.
bigroger is offline Find More Posts by bigroger
Old Dec 04, 2012, 08:10 AM
Santi
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Nov 2003
1,597 Posts
When comparing these two servos, it's important to take into consideration a $120 difference between the two. That's pretty much a 20% price hike on the cost of the whole setup. The 5245's are fine unless you are seasoned, and typically shoot for the high voltage servos. On a 60 size it's not as important as the 70+ planes. Both are good servos, obviously the higher voltage servos are better, but at $70 a pop, they better be! Hell, that's only $10 less than I get my 7955TG's for...

If this is your first plane in this size, or you're just a casual fun 3d flier, I'd go 5245's and save that extra cash for batteries, or that 30cc size you'll want the second you fly the 60's!

Your choice, your budget, but both servos are awesome on these EXP's.
DaaBears is online now Find More Posts by DaaBears
Old Dec 04, 2012, 02:49 PM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,637 Posts
The 5245 servos in my edge have been great as well.
Slower and a little weaker but no mechanical issues or failures to speak of even after some pretty decent impacts with the ground.
bigroger is offline Find More Posts by bigroger
Old Dec 04, 2012, 05:10 PM
aka ECAA3D
United States, WA, Olympia
Joined Apr 2012
1,140 Posts
Got in a couple flights earlier with the 7245s.
They make a whole lot more noise than the old set. more importantly they are noticeably faster and centering is spot on now. Replaced all hardware as well...just basically freshened the plane up.

5245s definitely aren't bad. Considering the price drop on both servos recently the 7245s are only 40.00 a set more now than I paid for the 5245s in June and I would have gladly paid the difference considering the performance increase.

They are a good upgrade later on if you don't want to pony up and go HV.
m0dest is offline Find More Posts by m0dest
Old Dec 05, 2012, 09:11 PM
Aer0bat
Joined Sep 2011
19 Posts
Does anyone make/sell canopy/vertical stab/horizontal stab covers for the plane? I'm thinking I'd like the extra protection against hangar rash when transporting to and from the field.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 09:18 PM
Joined Nov 2011
8,290 Posts
Quote:
Does anyone make/sell canopy/vertical stab/horizontal stab covers for the plane? I'm thinking I'd like the extra protection against hangar rash when transporting to and from the field.
PM me, my son has made some wing bags for his 48" out of insulation, using a similar but tougher material than what the wing bags for the 60" are made out of. But he is using hot glue and colored duct tape...doesn't look as good as the wing bags. We don't have an industrial sewing maching

Or you could just go to a home improvment store and buy the shiny/aluminum looking pastic bubble wrap and make some yourself.

As I don't have my 60" Extra put together right now, it might be a month before he can take the measurments to get it right.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 01:04 PM
Back in the hobby- ALL in!
United States, NH, Greenland
Joined Feb 2012
968 Posts
Quote:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=11007

Worked great for the 48" Edge. I am building the 60" Extra and will use the included bags until they wear out then make these. I use the same material to make prop guards also for transport. I'm sure you can fabricate tail feather covers and a fuselage wrap. Good luck. Hope this helps.
dth7 is offline Find More Posts by dth7
Old Dec 06, 2012, 02:52 PM
Back in the hobby- ALL in!
United States, NH, Greenland
Joined Feb 2012
968 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolfRC View Post
PM me, my son has made some wing bags for his 48" out of insulation, using a similar but tougher material than what the wing bags for the 60" are made out of. But he is using hot glue and colored duct tape...doesn't look as good as the wing bags. We don't have an industrial sewing maching

Or you could just go to a home improvment store and buy the shiny/aluminum looking pastic bubble wrap and make some yourself.

As I don't have my 60" Extra put together right now, it might be a month before he can take the measurments to get it right.
It's called "Reflectix" as I found out!
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=11011
dth7 is offline Find More Posts by dth7