HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 03, 2012, 11:39 AM
zürich
Joined Jun 2008
1,074 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VR Eyedoc View Post
I put a Turnigy Sk3 5045 450KV motor on my EF Extra 300. with Xoar 16X8 on 6S, it only draws 52 amp, around 1200W. There is a review saying the actual kv of the motor is probably lower than 450. and the motor is rated as 7s on HK website.

Has anybody tried 7S setup with this motor? I have some matching 4S and 3S lipo sitting around. I think I am gonna upgrade my ESC first then give it a try.it's so tempting! may have to downprop to 15X8 though.
450kv, 16x8 and 6s sounds perfekt to me.
flew a 450kv motor with 16x7 and 6s and found it an excellent setup.
not fast, not violent.......but it is fantastic to fly a constant middle speed. its the one to fly nice.
long leng is offline Find More Posts by long leng
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 03, 2012, 11:52 AM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,455 Posts
My experience with a smaller SK3 motor on a 51" plane leads me to be concerned about the motor's strength. A lot of people, incudling myself, have had problems with the bearing mount/shaft breaking during KE spins....and I don't do full power KE spins.
7oneWo1f is online now Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Nov 04, 2012, 09:06 PM
Hardcore EP 3D Flyer
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Aug 2012
532 Posts
successfully maidened my Extra 300 today,everying went well. I am very happy with the setup and the performance of the airplanes. except that the elevator is wrapped a little bit, when one side is at neutral position, the other side is 3-4mm off the neutral. Will it affect the flying in a way only advanced pilot will notice? and it there anything I can do to correct it?
VR Eyedoc is offline Find More Posts by VR Eyedoc
Old Nov 04, 2012, 09:12 PM
This is NOT a TOY?
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Jul 2011
2,558 Posts
Quote:
successfully maidened my Extra 300 today,everying went well. I am very happy with the setup and the performance of the airplanes. except that the elevator is wrapped a little bit, when one side is at neutral position, the other side is 3-4mm off the neutral. Will it affect the flying in a way only advanced pilot will notice? and it there anything I can do to correct it?
You can generally fix minor control surface warps by warping in the corrective direction, just a tiny bit beyond 'true'
then shrinking out any wrinkles that causes, with your heat gun, while still holding the correction in place.
Re-check once you release, and repeat as necessary.
As always, careful with the heat gun, and it pays to make sure your edges are sealed with an iron first.
(If you shrink too much or too fast, you'll pull covering back from an edge and end up needing to recover that part)

Will the average person notice a 3-4mm elevator warp... in normal flight, once trimmed for level flight? Highly doubtful.
Still, it would bug me, knowing it's there, and I would correct it.
C_Watkins is offline Find More Posts by C_Watkins
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 04, 2012, 09:48 PM
Hardcore EP 3D Flyer
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Aug 2012
532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Watkins View Post
You can generally fix minor control surface warps by warping in the corrective direction, just a tiny bit beyond 'true'
then shrinking out any wrinkles that causes, with your heat gun, while still holding the correction in place.
Re-check once you release, and repeat as necessary.
As always, careful with the heat gun, and it pays to make sure your edges are sealed with an iron first.
(If you shrink too much or too fast, you'll pull covering back from an edge and end up needing to recover that part)

Will the average person notice a 3-4mm elevator warp... in normal flight, once trimmed for level flight? Highly doubtful.
Still, it would bug me, knowing it's there, and I would correct it.
Thank you so much! C_watkins, I happen to have a heatgun handy, after just a few blasts of heat, the elevator was perfectly neutralized on both side! Great tips, now I recall that the wrap might have been result of uneven application of heatgun at the end of my build to remove the wrinkles.
VR Eyedoc is offline Find More Posts by VR Eyedoc
Old Nov 04, 2012, 10:00 PM
This is NOT a TOY?
Joined Jul 2011
2,558 Posts
Quote:
Thank you so much! C_watkins, I happen to have a heatgun handy, after just a few blasts of heat, the elevator was perfectly neutralized on both side! Great tips, now I recall that the wrap might have been result of uneven application of heatgun at the end of my build to remove the wrinkles.
Any time!
Warped (And fixed) a few myself over the years
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 06, 2012, 07:22 AM
Team Extreme!
Joined Dec 2008
6 Posts
Cody, I totally agree about the ATX 94820 servos for the 60" exp's, if you want a inexpensive servo that will get it done on 6.0v these or the way to go! My good freind Chris Jewitt opened my eyes to them at E-week 2011!
cmanns is offline Find More Posts by cmanns
Old Nov 06, 2012, 07:31 AM
This is NOT a TOY?
Joined Jul 2011
2,558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmanns View Post
Cody, I totally agree about the ATX 94820 servos for the 60" exp's, if you want a inexpensive servo that will get it done on 6.0v these or the way to go! My good freind Chris Jewitt opened my eyes to them at E-week 2011!
OMG Stand back y'all... Cmanns is up to 6 posts now

Just giving you crap. Post more.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 06, 2012, 09:39 AM
Joined Nov 2011
8,455 Posts
Any videos up cmanns?

Just looked at the 94820 specs...slower but more torque than the hs-5245mg.

What do you use for servo arm extensions on these things?
Old Nov 06, 2012, 10:50 AM
United States, GA, Cumming
Joined Feb 2004
2,334 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolfRC View Post
Any videos up cmanns?

Just looked at the 94820 specs...slower but more torque than the hs-5245mg.

What do you use for servo arm extensions on these things?
Dubro makes a servo arm set specifically for the Airtronics servos.
EXTREME FLIGHT is offline Find More Posts by EXTREME FLIGHT
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 06, 2012, 01:02 PM
Joined Nov 2011
8,455 Posts
Thanks EF...I guess I should have looked...just didn't expect dubro to make them, but that only shows you what I know.
Old Nov 08, 2012, 06:12 AM
Deutschland, BW, Ebersbach an der Fils
Joined May 2011
345 Posts
subscribed.

This is it.
After starting with a 45" EF Edge i now flying the 48" Edge.
I was looking for a 60" for next year, after a lot of reading and watching Videos i think, the Extra is the plane for me.
I like the fast and accurate response and the look it is flying.

I love the look of the blue color sheme, but i think i get the red one course i was not very happy with the blue/yellow edge due visibility.
I love blue planes, but i know they are not so good to see in air.

Have anyone tried a 4S Setup? I know it will be not the most powerfull setup, but with a 660KV motor it might be possible. I have a lot of 4S batteries so i donn´t need new ones for the start.
I Shure will translate to 5 or 6 S setup later whith a torque/ Airboss combo.

Bernd
morrigan is offline Find More Posts by morrigan
Old Nov 08, 2012, 06:27 AM
Fly til dark
United States, IN, Bourbon
Joined Nov 2011
147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by morrigan View Post
subscribed.

This is it.
After starting with a 45" EF Edge i now flying the 48" Edge.
I was looking for a 60" for next year, after a lot of reading and watching Videos i think, the Extra is the plane for me.
I like the fast and accurate response and the look it is flying.

I love the look of the blue color sheme, but i think i get the red one course i was not very happy with the blue/yellow edge due visibility.

Have anyone tried a 4S Setup? I know it will be not the most powerfull setup, but with a 660KV motor it might be possible. I have a lot of 4S batteries so i donn´t need new ones for the start.

Bernd
Get the 60 extra you will not be sorry! I am flying mine on 4s and love it. I am using a motrofly motor and it has a lot of power. It will climb as high as I want it and also hoover with no issues. If you want send me a pm and I will get you the numbers from the motor I am using.
jfuller1250 is offline Find More Posts by jfuller1250
Old Nov 08, 2012, 08:11 AM
Joined Nov 2011
8,455 Posts
The new MKII motor is awesome. That is what I decided to put on my 2nd 60" Extra, after using the new MKII on the MXS.

The MXS is also a very nice plane. So if one wasn't in stock, I'd get the other.
Old Nov 08, 2012, 09:21 AM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by morrigan View Post

Minew is red white and blue, but I don't have any trouble seeing it. Like any of them, if you get to the west during a sunset things get a little dicey, but any other time it shows up as well as any of my other planes. Having said that, I like the red too and that's probably what I'll get when this one goes to Valhalla .

Quote:
Oh, you definately want 6s. It's very hairy chested on that kind of power.
Doc Austin is online now Find More Posts by Doc Austin