Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 30, 2012, 11:14 AM
Atleast It's in one piece
United Kingdom, North Weald Bassett
Joined Nov 2008
408 Posts
Hi Guys

Just wondering if you may have any ideas why Iím only getting about 5mins of run time with my Extra the set-up is Torque 4020 motor, Ice 75 ESC, 15x6 xoar prop and Gens Ace 3300 6cell.
What I think is happening is that once I get below 50% in the pack the voltage sags under the load during up lines etc so the last 20% or so of the normal usable capacity is only good to potter round, if I land as soon as I feel the power drop of and measure the pack capacity there is always 40 plus %.
My 6cell pack may be a bit unusual in that its made up of a 4cell and 2cell. I donít have the castle link but if I did are there any adjustments that might help?

Arcright
Arcright is offline Find More Posts by Arcright
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 30, 2012, 11:15 AM
inverted-i-fly
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,317 Posts
My 6cell pack may be a bit unusual in that its made up of a 4cell and 2cell

I think that is your problem
3drcparts is online now Find More Posts by 3drcparts
Old Jul 30, 2012, 11:19 AM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Apr 2009
7,648 Posts
I would imagine since the cells aren't matched they are drawing down differently and sagging. try a "real" 6s pack and see if it gets better.
Irg is offline Find More Posts by Irg
Old Jul 30, 2012, 11:21 AM
United States, NE, Lincoln
Joined Mar 2011
707 Posts
I have my timer set at 4:30 and fly to about 5 even on my 59" slick running Motrolfly 4515 714KV on 4S 4000's. I ran them out to 6 mins with good throttle management but I like to fly super hard with the slick so I set it shorter. I've hit LVC at 6 mins before with lots of full throttle.
nebwake is offline Find More Posts by nebwake
Old Jul 30, 2012, 11:26 AM
United States, OR, Molalla
Joined Oct 2010
460 Posts
I crashed my Extra in a nightfly freestyle on Saturday and ruined the fuselage. Fortunately there is only minimal damage to some other things, even the cowl.

Parts won't be in 'till the second week of August and I have a contest on the 18th and 19th so I likely won't have it by then.

The fuse is $95 to buy alone. If anyone has a new one and is willing to sell, I would buy it for full price plus shipping.

Thanks!
jlloyd1995 is offline Find More Posts by jlloyd1995
Old Jul 30, 2012, 11:39 AM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcright View Post
Hi Guys

My 6cell pack may be a bit unusual in that its made up of a 4cell and 2cell. I donít have the castle link but if I did are there any adjustments that might help?

Arcright
As others said, there's a good chance it's your battery setup. What is the mah on your 4S and on your 6S? What is the C?

Call castle, they might send you a USB programmer for free. They sent me two. BUt I don't think that will fix your problem.
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Jul 30, 2012, 12:23 PM
Joined Nov 2008
408 Posts
Hi

Both the 4cell and 2cell are 3300mah 25c packs I think the resistance shown on my charger for each pack was very close can’t remember the exact figure.
I did it this way to give me some 4cell to use on a smaller model so I think I’ll run them on this model to see if I get the same results.
Having seen many others using 3cell x2 for a 6cell I thought it might work (perhaps not?)

Thanks for the answers

Arcright
Old Jul 30, 2012, 12:28 PM
Extremely Twisted
United States, NH, Epping
Joined Oct 2005
2,629 Posts
There's nothing wrong with running 4+2 cells, 3+3 cells, or even 5+1 cells. However your issue sounds like a bad battery of some type to me...the internal resistance of at least one cell is likely very high or becomes very high during use. Try a different battery.
cwojcik is offline Find More Posts by cwojcik
Old Jul 30, 2012, 12:53 PM
Santi
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Nov 2003
1,597 Posts
Quote:
Hi Guys

Just wondering if you may have any ideas why Iím only getting about 5mins of run time with my Extra the set-up is Torque 4020 motor, Ice 75 ESC, 15x6 xoar prop and Gens Ace 3300 6cell.
What I think is happening is that once I get below 50% in the pack the voltage sags under the load during up lines etc so the last 20% or so of the normal usable capacity is only good to potter round, if I land as soon as I feel the power drop of and measure the pack capacity there is always 40 plus %.

Arcright
My esc would pulse the throttle at 50% and piss me off! After scratching my head and asking questions with no answers I finally found that my esc was set to nicad. In nicad mode the lvc or pulse in my case occurs at 50% voltage exactly.
Have you reset your esc.?
DaaBears is offline Find More Posts by DaaBears
Old Jul 30, 2012, 01:17 PM
Joined Nov 2011
8,392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwojcik View Post
There's nothing wrong with running 4+2 cells, 3+3 cells, or even 5+1 cells.
I am sure you have never had a problem.

If the batteries have the same mah and C ratings, and you keep connector lengths short, it can work. But using a single battery pack with an even number of cells while keeping battery to ESC wire lengths short is better for a variety of reasons.

too long battery wires will kill ESC over time
Old Jul 30, 2012, 02:13 PM
Joined Nov 2008
408 Posts
Have you reset your esc.?[/QUOTE]

Good idea and no I havenít so I will now

I'll also see how short I can make the battey leads
Arcright
Old Jul 30, 2012, 02:48 PM
Joined Nov 2011
8,392 Posts
Quote:
Have you reset your esc.?
Good idea and no I havenít so I will now

I'll also see how short I can make the battey leads
Arcright[/QUOTE]

I'd reset the ESC programming first. If you're getting spark when you connect your wires, lead length is probably not related to your problem. If you're not getting spark, you probably need to replace your capacitors and shorten battery leads.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 03:27 PM
Santi
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Nov 2003
1,597 Posts
It looked familiar with 50% being your issue... I believe my airboss was accidentally put into program mode where the first selection was lipo or nicad mode.. probably happened when I switched radios and had my throttle reversed..

hopefully that does it. different esc, but could work...
DaaBears is offline Find More Posts by DaaBears
Old Jul 31, 2012, 12:52 AM
aka ECAA3D
United States, WA, Olympia
Joined Apr 2012
1,150 Posts
Roll rate with SFGs

I left off the SFGs today..flew 6 packs, I think I like it better without.

Roll rate seemed like it doubled and snap rolls were insane and stopped on a dime. Rolling harriers were faster for sure, I may reduce aileron throws a bit when without the SFGs. Had a strong crosswind so didn't do much in the way of slow and low today but overall I think the plane seemed like it had more top end too. Could be my packs breaking in.
m0dest is offline Find More Posts by m0dest
Old Jul 31, 2012, 01:00 AM
Joined Nov 2011
8,392 Posts
I finished my elevator counter balance repair. Stronger than before, but I should have sanded... Oh well, I doubt it will be a problem, since I get larger bumps due to wrinkles on hot days.

I maidened without SFGs, but others told me to put them on, so I did. May try to fly without them again.