HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 19, 2012, 06:09 PM
It's gone...
Germany, NRW, Heinsberg
Joined Aug 2004
5,065 Posts
I looked them up. They are Danish. I wonder if the song you used had Till Lindemann (Rammstein frontman) as a guest vocalist.
_OZ_ is offline Find More Posts by _OZ_
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 19, 2012, 07:59 PM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,046 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Spohr View Post
From Hitec...

Deadband reflects the time it takes for a servo to respond when stick movement is given. Standard servos have a deadband of around 8us and high performance servos have a deadband of 1~3us.

JC
To further clarify...

The deadband in uS refers to the width of a PWM pulse, which is controlled by stick movement. This is not delay, though it may feel that way.

Using a servo I happen to be testing right now, a 600 uS change in pulse width translates to about 45 degrees of rotation on the servo.

On this servo, a 1 uS change in pulse width translates to a 4 minute 30 second change in servo rotation--that is, 0.075 degrees. An 8 uS change in pulse translates to 36 minutes of rotation (or 0.6 degrees).

On a transmitter, where you're endpoints correspond to 900 uS and 2100 uS respectively, the deadband on your sticks would depend on the end points of your radio.

The difference will be slight in 3D, but perhaps noticable when your trim seems like its always changing during lines.

Here's another explanation.
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Jun 20, 2012, 09:22 AM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,078 Posts
This will probably be the last 60" Exrra video of the summer. We simply ran out of time and never got decent conditions.

Extra EXP 60__Ballistic (4 min 24 sec)
Doc Austin is offline Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old Jun 20, 2012, 05:28 PM
Some.. call him Tim...
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2008
6,267 Posts
Very nice doc!

Extra's are back in stock!!
Ducati Mechanic is offline Find More Posts by Ducati Mechanic
Old Jun 20, 2012, 11:47 PM
PA, WMPF & HE Team Pilot
United States, OH, Amelia
Joined Apr 2008
1,486 Posts
Hi Guys! - I am heart broken - my Extra went in again today because the Elevator servo failed.
The first time the brand new (10 flights on it) Hitec 5245MG was stuck in elevator up position when I was 100' up in the air - It came down in a pancake landing which destroyed the gear and one SFG but everything else was fine. - I sent the servo back to Hitec, asking them if I get anything to easy my pain (like a 20% off coupon for future purchase) nothing... they've sent me a new servo back, told me the motor and amplifier was burned out due to over stressing the servo. - well... those are the recommended servos and I didn't hear that anybody else had issues with over stressing it... anyhow... today, after 20 more flights the replaced servo failed again - was stuck when I was 90' up I had the other controls but the elevator failed again completely it went straight in this time. On the ground - still under power I checked and notices the elevator was stuck in a slight upward position, after moving the sticks several times it came loose and the elevator moved once up and was stuck in the middle again on the downward move. - Than I removed the battery which was catapulted out of it's sleeve (the velcro worked) and started smoking bad - the impact of the battery caused also damaged to the ESC which started to smoke as well...

I checked the servo again and it felt like the servo mechanically had a high resistance in the spot where it was stuck - I assume the gear broke - I didn't fly too extreme and had no wind.

Does anybody had similar issues with the recommended (Hitec 5245MG) servos?

I am highly disappointed and lost my trust into Hitec servos - I have a lot of them... never had a similar issue...

Any advice?
Thanks guys

Andreas
AndreasHeger is offline Find More Posts by AndreasHeger
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 20, 2012, 11:58 PM
Joined Nov 2011
8,046 Posts
Ouch. I don't have 90 degrees of throw on my elevator, but for what its worth, I haven't had any problems...at least not yet. On a side note, if you do an elevon/flaperon mix, in a pinch, you can use the ailerons for elevator in flaperon mode...at least you can in the sim with a broken elevator. Haven't been in a situation in real life where I had to use it. But I set it up in the sim like I do in real life, and in the sim, with broken elevator, I still have pitch control, albeit much reduced, and can land the plane.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6r1L-sCrkk
Old Jun 21, 2012, 12:31 AM
3D Sunset Flier
PHX
Joined Jun 2008
3,672 Posts
So, I traded my 5S 3300 for a 6S 2650 and I'm hooked!

Better CG and the power is perfect. Wish I would have tried it sooner.

Fly safe fellow 300EXP fans,

-Buzzed

Buzzed is offline Find More Posts by Buzzed
Old Jun 21, 2012, 02:32 AM
aka ECAA3D
United States, WA, Olympia
Joined Apr 2012
1,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzed View Post
So, I traded my 5S 3300 for a 6S 2650 and I'm hooked!

Better CG and the power is perfect. Wish I would have tried it sooner.

Fly safe fellow 300EXP fans,

-Buzzed

What motor are you using?

I think I'm stuck with 5s for now...well see how it works. I may put my Rimfire .80 in and try out my 6s setup if I feel a tad dissappointed with my Hacker.
m0dest is offline Find More Posts by m0dest
Old Jun 21, 2012, 07:11 AM
Extremely Twisted
United States, NH, Epping
Joined Oct 2005
2,553 Posts
The Rimfire 80 on 6S is a great motor. A friend has one in his Edge and it's been great.
cwojcik is offline Find More Posts by cwojcik
Last edited by cwojcik; Jun 21, 2012 at 08:39 AM.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 08:19 AM
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Mar 2008
3,437 Posts
Sorry to hear that Andreas.

I did not have the same issue, but I was afraid of the 5245's not holding on elevator. so I swapped both my 60's out for a full size servo 5625 or 45 I think( whichever one was faster). I am also running 6s 3300mah so the tiny bit of extra weight/insurance was worth it to me.
bigmoebbq is online now Find More Posts by bigmoebbq
Old Jun 21, 2012, 12:05 PM
Some.. call him Tim...
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2008
6,267 Posts
Falcon/Zoar

Last week I ran out of 15x7 Xoar Pjn's, and RC dude was out of stock, so I ordered up a pair of falcon 15x7E beachwood props.

I ran one on my Extra, and one on my Edge. The Falcon is a fine sub. for the Xoar, but I was'nt impressed with the midrange. It seemed very "power on/ power off" to me. Thats where the Zoar PJN shines, with a very smooth midrange, and linear hover. Thankfully Rc dude has PJN 15x7's back in stock, so I ordered four this time..

If anyone likes the Falcon props, and would like these two? Ill be in NJ next month for the "3DHS fly low". Buy me a drink, after night flying and there yours..
Ducati Mechanic is offline Find More Posts by Ducati Mechanic
Old Jun 21, 2012, 12:24 PM
Joined Nov 2011
8,046 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreasHeger View Post
Than I removed the battery which was catapulted out of it's sleeve (the velcro worked) and started smoking bad - the impact of the battery caused also damaged to the ESC which started to smoke as well...
...Andreas

I just looked more closely, and your ESC failed in the same spot as an ESC I had. I wonder what that chip does? BEC perhaps?

DId you use an internal or external BEC.

Since you had some control on the way down, I don't think it was a BEC failure, and your chronology of failures makes sense.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 12:33 PM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Apr 2009
7,615 Posts
considering it was the same surface that failed you might want to go over your linkages and hinging with a fine tooth comb. make sure nothing funky is happening at any point in the deflection.
Irg is offline Find More Posts by Irg
Old Jun 21, 2012, 12:35 PM
3D Sunset Flier
PHX
Joined Jun 2008
3,672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecaa3d View Post
What motor are you using?

I think I'm stuck with 5s for now...well see how it works. I may put my Rimfire .80 in and try out my 6s setup if I feel a tad dissappointed with my Hacker.
Scorpion 40mm motor. 4020-12 I think.

I have flown 5S since the Extra was released. It was ok. But 6S makes it shine!

-Buzzed

Buzzed is offline Find More Posts by Buzzed
Old Jun 21, 2012, 12:36 PM
Joined Nov 2011
8,046 Posts
I agree with Irg. Regarding the HS5625MG, anybody using that? Seems a lot more powerful, probably heavier.