HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 21, 2012, 09:06 PM
United States, OR, Molalla
Joined Oct 2010
471 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frugalme View Post
Exactly. Otherwise the airflow slows (stagnates) as it expands after entering the cowl. Go to the airport and check out the engine baffling on the Cessnas, etc. Exit area needs to be twice the inlet area for good flow.
And it is without cutting holes (except for the vent on the bottom of course). But than again, electronics don't send off nearly as much heat as gas engines.
jlloyd1995 is offline Find More Posts by jlloyd1995
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 21, 2012, 10:57 PM
United States, CA, Ontario
Joined Mar 2002
7,696 Posts
Flew the maiden today , went off without a hitch , as i thought , each flight i moved the battery back , i think its pretty close now , inverted dives just a tiny bit , longest flight was 6.5 minutes took 3200 of a 4000 pack , good speed and power , knife edges are crazy easy , flat spins pretty good once i got the cg better , i left the covering on the firewall as suggested except i opened one hole up to feed the speed control wire through , i tried the flap/elevator mix with 50 % flap , didnt impress me , might up the % tomorrow and see what it does ....
Dennis Everett is offline Find More Posts by Dennis Everett
Old Apr 21, 2012, 11:05 PM
United States, OR, Molalla
Joined Oct 2010
471 Posts
You must use lots of throttle. After 8 minutes I was putting back about 3000 so I bumped it down to 7.
jlloyd1995 is offline Find More Posts by jlloyd1995
Old Apr 21, 2012, 11:16 PM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,454 Posts
Are you using the SFGs? I will maiden tomorrow if the weather holds out. Thanks, and congrats on your maiden, Dennis
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Apr 22, 2012, 09:16 PM
Joined Nov 2011
8,454 Posts
Maiden went well. I'm still learning the plane, but so far, so good. I had the COG at the mid point of the manual's recommendation. I think I will want to move it back some, or play with the expo settings. I was able to pull some inverted flat spins, KE spins, knife edges, one smooth, flat, level roll, one almost but not quite perfect loop, harriers, and many more unpolished moves.

All in all, I like the plane. It is not as easy to fly as my 48" 3DHS super vyper, but they are different designs, I am really getting used to the 3DHS SV, and I used a heavier than recommended battery in the extra. I am sure that I'll be loving this plane after I run some more batteries through her and get her balanced and expod to my liking. I certainly don't regret buying this plane, and if I could do it over again, I'd still buy it.

Great plane, lots of fun. I'll post a video if anybody is interested in an ametuer.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 10:08 PM
inverted-i-fly
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,417 Posts
Cool, A video would be great
3drcparts is online now Find More Posts by 3drcparts
Last edited by 3drcparts; Apr 22, 2012 at 10:19 PM.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 10:12 PM
Joined Nov 2011
8,454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by janole View Post
Cool video would be great
I'm still uploading the video, but here it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtZA80qcspM

It should take about 4 more hours maximum to complete the upload. (DSL feels like a 9600 baud modem when you're uploading a video).
Old Apr 23, 2012, 07:20 AM
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Mar 2008
3,688 Posts
Well I remaidened my extra 300 this weekend it was freakin sweet! i swapped out the Extreme flight motor for a Motrofly. not because i did not like the motor, but I have this motor in my 60 Edge so I wanted them to both feel about the same when flying. I was having a problem holding a knife edge. not sure if I am going too slow or not enough rudder, or if it is just something I need to work harder on,
bigmoebbq is online now Find More Posts by bigmoebbq
Old Apr 23, 2012, 08:34 AM
3D Hack
United States, IL, Glen Carbon
Joined Jul 2010
1,926 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmoebbq View Post
Well I remaidened my extra 300 this weekend it was freakin sweet! i swapped out the Extreme flight motor for a Motrofly. not because i did not like the motor, but I have this motor in my 60 Edge so I wanted them to both feel about the same when flying. I was having a problem holding a knife edge. not sure if I am going too slow or not enough rudder, or if it is just something I need to work harder on,
If you mean that you are losing altitude in KE, remember that altitude in KE is controlled by throttle not rudder.

Add throttle to control KE ascent or descent.

JC
JC Spohr is online now Find More Posts by JC Spohr
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: About Me
Old Apr 23, 2012, 08:42 AM
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Mar 2008
3,688 Posts
yes altitude was the issue. It kept dropping on my much faster then I had hoped.
bigmoebbq is online now Find More Posts by bigmoebbq
Old Apr 23, 2012, 08:47 AM
3D Hack
United States, IL, Glen Carbon
Joined Jul 2010
1,926 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmoebbq View Post
yes altitude was the issue. It kept dropping on my much faster then I had hoped.
Some thoughts to help you...

Set your angle of attack with rudder and then use throttle to control the altitude.

High speed passes use lower AOA, slow KE requires higher AOA.

SFG's make a difference.

Sunny blue skies are deluxe!

JC
JC Spohr is online now Find More Posts by JC Spohr
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: About Me
Old Apr 23, 2012, 10:10 AM
inverted-i-fly
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by N6145k View Post
I'm still uploading the video, but here it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtZA80qcspM

It should take about 4 more hours maximum to complete the upload. (DSL feels like a 9600 baud modem when you're uploading a video).
nice maiden, looking good,

My extra is due today and the rest of the parts needed in the next few days, can't wait
3drcparts is online now Find More Posts by 3drcparts
Old Apr 23, 2012, 10:20 AM
Joined Apr 2008
1,579 Posts
Living off these posts for now as mine is scheduled for delivery tomorrow. Per the "significant other," I can open the box to inspect for damage but no assembling until after the birthday cause I've already got one, two many toys that I'm not playing with.
chopper62 is offline Find More Posts by chopper62
Old Apr 23, 2012, 10:38 AM
Joined Nov 2011
8,454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by janole View Post
nice maiden, looking good,

My extra is due today and the rest of the parts needed in the next few days, can't wait
Thanks. I actually think it was better than I felt at the time. When I flew, I had a cold, was on cold medicine, and wasn't in the best frame of mind. So considering, it went really well.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 11:55 AM
United States, VA, Berryville
Joined May 2010
366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper62 View Post
Living off these posts for now as mine is scheduled for delivery tomorrow. Per the "significant other," I can open the box to inspect for damage but no assembling until after the birthday cause I've already got one, two many toys that I'm not playing with.
Your in the same boat as I. Wife got mine last week and have to wait untill the end of May for my birthday.
kellyzo6 is online now Find More Posts by kellyzo6