HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 27, 2011, 06:50 PM
Epoxy & CA Investor
United States, CO, Denver
Joined May 2010
2,592 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCTyp View Post
Hey guys, looking at this and the 59 Slick. I have not flown much in the past 3 years but loved my 3d hs 57 SHP, would like to get something as well mannered that I can also do 3d. Good manners more important than the absolutely tightest and wildest spins.

Frankly I think the cost is going to drive the decision for me, and whether they come in stock...

Thanks.
you might PM Cody as he's flown the 3dhs 57 and the 300exp and can tell you the difference. He's a killer pilot too and knows what he's talking about.
DenverJayhawk is offline Find More Posts by DenverJayhawk
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 27, 2011, 07:52 PM
Nothin Ventured, Nothin Gained
United States, NC, Maiden
Joined Jul 2011
417 Posts
Quote:
Hey guys, looking at this and the 59 Slick. I have not flown much in the past 3 years but loved my 3d hs 57 SHP, would like to get something as well mannered that I can also do 3d. Good manners more important than the absolutely tightest and wildest spins.

Frankly I think the cost is going to drive the decision for me, and whether they come in stock...

Thanks.
I have flown both and up until recently, I owned them both. Let me start out by saying that I am a big fan of the 3dhs Slick as well as the EF Extras (it's the only model I've flown from EF so far -- 48" and 60").

Out of all the Slicks, the 59" seems to most toned down to me. Will it still do 3d maneuvers? Yes, absolutely. It just seems a little more watered down that the other Slicks of different sizes.

The 60" EXP is solid plane as well. I haven't flown it extreme yet as I have my 48" EXP to grind my teeth on when I want to go crazy, but I would say it's fa-nominal even on stock servo arms going max deflection on them. Even at that, it still does 3d maneuvers without any issues.

If you're wondering which I kept out of the two, it was the 60" Extra EXP. To me, it feels smoother than the Slick. It may have been my setup, but that was my experience. Build quality is almost identical IMO. Spare parts would probably go to the Slick as they offer the motor box option which comes with nearly the entire front of the plane (other than the sidewalls of the fuse). If I had to pick one or the other, it would still choose the Extra again. I like the way it flies a little bit better, but you won't go wrong with either one.
harddrive8 is online now Find More Posts by harddrive8
Old Dec 27, 2011, 09:15 PM
United States, CA, Roseville
Joined Jan 2011
666 Posts
I own both of these planes. The 60 extra is hands down the one I prefer. theyre both good planes, but the 60 is just a ripper, especially on 6s.
GetSome! is offline Find More Posts by GetSome!
Old Dec 27, 2011, 09:32 PM
Extremely Twisted
United States, NH, Epping
Joined Oct 2005
2,629 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverJayhawk View Post
you might PM Cody as he's flown the 3dhs 57 and the 300exp and can tell you the difference. He's a killer pilot too and knows what he's talking about.
Thanks for the kind words, I'll just throw out my experience and recommendations right here.

I owned a 57" SC for about a year and put lots of flights on it. Mine was set up kind of crazy, Reaper GR-60 at about 1400 watts, 225 servos on 6.5V. The 57 is an amazing airplane. It's incredibly smooth and predictable, and 3D is so easy with it that it feels like you're cheating. You can pull the elevator back, give some throttle, and it's doing a perfect harrier with no other inputs. KE is the same way: hammer on the rudder and it just carves around, no snapping or wallowing or pivoting, and you can be really sloppy in your roller timings and still get great looking rolling harriers. I had it about an inch off the ground on my first flight. It's so easy, in fact, that I kind of got bored with it after flying it for about a year. It was hiding my mistakes and I was having a tough time eliminating them. It's also so stable that in some attitudes and situations it feels a little bit numb...for example, the rudder doesn't immediately affect the airplane in a harrier, and you need a lot of stick movement to make it turn. It's also a great precision airplane, but it has the same qualities there. It's very capable of flying precisely, but it's not super responsive, and it needs some speed to really track well.

By being a mooch I've got about 10 flights on two different 59" Slicks owned by my friends. It's also a great airplane, but it's different from the 57" Extra. It has less pitch authority, and it doesn't just settle into a really plush harrier like the 57 does. It also feels a lot more immediate and responsive. The rudder has a very live feel to it in harriers, and for that matter, it responds to all control inputs very quickly. I think this is why lots of people say the Slick is a better precision airplane than the 57 Extra...even though once I had my Extra set up with the right throws, expo, mixing, and prop I found it to be a better precision airplane than the others' Slicks (although, to make that call, I would have to own a Slick and set it up how I want it over the course of 20-50 flights). I found the Extra to have a slight edge over the Slick in how stable it was in pitch, especially through snaps. This could be due to setup as well, of course, so please don't take it as undue criticism. However, even though I wasn't flying any better with the Slick, I noticed that I enjoyed flying it more than the Extra. Because it's so responsive, it's more rewarding to fly.

I was all set to buy a Slick and then I saw the Extra EXP was coming out and decided to wait for it (I owned a 78" Extra and loved it). I set my EXP up on the same GR-60 as the SC, but went with the new 7245 Hitec servos (I also tried the recommended 5245's and it's also great with those). The EXP is the most responsive out of all three in roll, and is equal to the 57" Extra in pitch stability. Pitch authority is somewhere in the middle between the Slick and 57" Extra. However, it really has that "live" feeling of the Slick. It's extremely quick and responsive, but also stable and predictable. The responsiveness threw me for a little while as I got used to it. Even though it's extremely quick and live feeling, it doesn't do anything unpredictable or uncontrollable...it's always right there. It's certainly my favorite.

I also have one flight on an Edge EXP. It's somewhere between the 57" SC and the 60" EXP. Easier and floatier than the Extra EXP, but more responsive than the SC.

All four of these airplanes are fantastic and you would be very happy with any of them no matter what you chose...we're kind of splitting hairs here. But I would take the 57 SC or the Edge EXP for a balsa 3D trainer or even a second airplane, and then it's a toss-up between the Slick and Extra for a more responsive and rewarding experience.
cwojcik is offline Find More Posts by cwojcik
Last edited by cwojcik; Dec 27, 2011 at 09:37 PM.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 10:27 PM
United States, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Oct 2008
1,577 Posts
60" Extra is king of the hill!

Thanks for a detailed and precise analysis and comparison!

(Doc, where's that report on the 60" Extra? You do those reports like no one else!) and

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwojcik View Post
Thanks for the kind words, I'll just throw out my experience and recommendations right here.

I owned a 57" SC for about a year and put lots of flights on it. Mine was set up kind of crazy, Reaper GR-60 at about 1400 watts, 225 servos on 6.5V. The 57 is an amazing airplane. It's incredibly smooth and predictable, and 3D is so easy with it that it feels like you're cheating. You can pull the elevator back, give some throttle, and it's doing a perfect harrier with no other inputs. KE is the same way: hammer on the rudder and it just carves around, no snapping or wallowing or pivoting, and you can be really sloppy in your roller timings and still get great looking rolling harriers. I had it about an inch off the ground on my first flight. It's so easy, in fact, that I kind of got bored with it after flying it for about a year. It was hiding my mistakes and I was having a tough time eliminating them. It's also so stable that in some attitudes and situations it feels a little bit numb...for example, the rudder doesn't immediately affect the airplane in a harrier, and you need a lot of stick movement to make it turn. It's also a great precision airplane, but it has the same qualities there. It's very capable of flying precisely, but it's not super responsive, and it needs some speed to really track well.

By being a mooch I've got about 10 flights on two different 59" Slicks owned by my friends. It's also a great airplane, but it's different from the 57" Extra. It has less pitch authority, and it doesn't just settle into a really plush harrier like the 57 does. It also feels a lot more immediate and responsive. The rudder has a very live feel to it in harriers, and for that matter, it responds to all control inputs very quickly. I think this is why lots of people say the Slick is a better precision airplane than the 57 Extra...even though once I had my Extra set up with the right throws, expo, mixing, and prop I found it to be a better precision airplane than the others' Slicks (although, to make that call, I would have to own a Slick and set it up how I want it over the course of 20-50 flights). I found the Extra to have a slight edge over the Slick in how stable it was in pitch, especially through snaps. This could be due to setup as well, of course, so please don't take it as undue criticism. However, even though I wasn't flying any better with the Slick, I noticed that I enjoyed flying it more than the Extra. Because it's so responsive, it's more rewarding to fly.

I was all set to buy a Slick and then I saw the Extra EXP was coming out and decided to wait for it (I owned a 78" Extra and loved it). I set my EXP up on the same GR-60 as the SC, but went with the new 7245 Hitec servos (I also tried the recommended 5245's and it's also great with those). The EXP is the most responsive out of all three in roll, and is equal to the 57" Extra in pitch stability. Pitch authority is somewhere in the middle between the Slick and 57" Extra. However, it really has that "live" feeling of the Slick. It's extremely quick and responsive, but also stable and predictable. The responsiveness threw me for a little while as I got used to it. Even though it's extremely quick and live feeling, it doesn't do anything unpredictable or uncontrollable...it's always right there. It's certainly my favorite.

I also have one flight on an Edge EXP. It's somewhere between the 57" SC and the 60" EXP. Easier and floatier than the Extra EXP, but more responsive than the SC.

All four of these airplanes are fantastic and you would be very happy with any of them no matter what you chose...we're kind of splitting hairs here. But I would take the 57 SC or the Edge EXP for a balsa 3D trainer or even a second airplane, and then it's a toss-up between the Slick and Extra for a more responsive and rewarding experience.
Trill is online now Find More Posts by Trill
Old Dec 27, 2011, 11:43 PM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
6,454 Posts
Is there a difference between the Extra 330SC offered by 3DHS for $290, and the seemingly same thing offered by Flight Models, ZYHobby, and Aerobeez for $230? They all look like a rip-off of the 3DHS-offered Scott Stoops design with different Oracover designs and it's disheartening that they can offer the same plane without legal repercussions.

Anyway, the Slicks and the EXPs have definitely moved on from the 330SC and I think for the sake of this thread, we do too. You can buy a 57 inch 330SC rip-off for $240 or you can by a state of the art 60 inch EXP for $260. Your call.
Aeroplayin is online now Find More Posts by Aeroplayin
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 28, 2011, 01:47 AM
Some.. call him Tim...
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2008
6,349 Posts
I don't think 3DHS is sharing there designs? Regardless, that's a question for a 3DHS thread..

Lots of great comparison info guys! Thanks! it's nice to see how EF is stacking up against there largest competitor.

I've also had many 3DHS planes that I enjoyed very much. Extreme Flights superior build quality, and massive power options(more power!) are what sold me! I've never replaced a set of EF wheel pants, a cowl, or canopy, due to the fact there twice as thick, compared to the competion.. I've also never damaged a EF landing gear mount, and if I did break the LG? The plane deserved it!
Ducati Mechanic is offline Find More Posts by Ducati Mechanic
Old Dec 28, 2011, 07:25 AM
Smashes Things
Montpelier, VA
Joined Feb 2005
2,398 Posts
Yes, thank you so much for the responses and the details. That helps.

Except, now I feel like I need to get two planes.....
RCTyp is offline Find More Posts by RCTyp
Old Dec 28, 2011, 09:11 AM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
6,454 Posts
Quote:
Yes, thank you so much for the responses and the details. That helps.

Except, now I feel like I need to get two planes.....
You probably do. I went from 3DHS airframes (quite a few) to the EF EXP's and the only 3DHS airframe that I feel is missing from the 3D airframe collection is the Slick, but I will tell you one quick true story from this week.... I was at our flying field on Monday and there were four of us there. Between us, we have accumulated eleven Extreme Flight Edges and Extras from 48 inches to 78 inches. We all agreed that these planes are the best we've ever flown, we've advanced in our skill more over the past year than we ever have in many years, and we're having the most fun flying ever. When we were talking about new airframes to buy, the only planes we talked about were Extreme Flight planes. I guess the addiction is over for some, at least for four.
Aeroplayin is online now Find More Posts by Aeroplayin
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 28, 2011, 09:14 AM
I use rudder in rollers :)
Joined Oct 2011
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Semeraro View Post
I don't think 3DHS is sharing there designs? Regardless, that's a question for a 3DHS thread..

Lots of great comparison info guys! Thanks! it's nice to see how EF is stacking up against there largest competitor.

I've also had many 3DHS planes that I enjoyed very much. Extreme Flights superior build quality, and massive power options(more power!) are what sold me! I've never replaced a set of EF wheel pants, a cowl, or canopy, due to the fact there twice as thick, compared to the competion.. I've also never damaged a EF landing gear mount, and if I did break the LG? The plane deserved it!
My wheel pants broke over the weekend.
bward122 is offline Find More Posts by bward122
Old Dec 28, 2011, 09:59 AM
Some.. call him Tim...
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2008
6,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bward122 View Post
My wheel pants broke over the weekend.
They must have deserved it..
Ducati Mechanic is offline Find More Posts by Ducati Mechanic
Old Dec 28, 2011, 10:13 AM
Northwest Indiana
Joined Feb 2011
1,461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Semeraro View Post
They must have deserved it..
Hahaha...they did...repeated harrier landings in cold weather can do that, lol.

I need to get a set or two when the next container comes in....
CRFan1 is offline Find More Posts by CRFan1
Old Dec 28, 2011, 10:45 AM
AirSurfer
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Sep 2011
627 Posts
Does anyone know what adapter I'd need to conncet the Gens Ace to the Airboss 80 ESC ? tnx
TBone08 is offline Find More Posts by TBone08
Old Dec 28, 2011, 10:56 AM
Extreme Flight Tech Support
Johns Creek, GA
Joined Jan 2005
819 Posts
The airboss ESC's come with Deans connectors.. I don't recommend an adapter.. just solder on your connector of choice.
exeter_acres is offline Find More Posts by exeter_acres
Old Dec 28, 2011, 11:22 AM
United States, OR, Molalla
Joined Oct 2010
460 Posts
+1. It's best to minimize those fail points.
jlloyd1995 is offline Find More Posts by jlloyd1995