HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 25, 2011, 11:54 AM
Joined Mar 2011
97 Posts
Discussion
Permanent magnet motors effective winding?

I want to know about that is there any effective winding calculation for permanent magnet motors.

-Is there any coefficient between gauge of wire and turns? single winding or doubled winding?

Forexample I estimate that one of my motor can be winding between 0.35-0.55 mm gauged wire. And i can how can i realize that which gauged wire is the most suitable for me? and what kind of winding technic is the most suitable for me?
mir_as82 is offline Find More Posts by mir_as82
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 25, 2011, 07:05 PM
just look at it smokin'
Joined Dec 2005
1,233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mir_as82 View Post
I want to know about that is there any effective winding calculation for permanent magnet motors.

-Is there any coefficient between gauge of wire and turns? single winding or doubled winding?

Forexample I estimate that one of my motor can be winding between 0.35-0.55 mm gauged wire. And i can how can i realize that which gauged wire is the most suitable for me? and what kind of winding technic is the most suitable for me?
yes, more current requires larger conductor cross-section, but you get higher Kv because less turns will fit.
z-matrix is offline Find More Posts by z-matrix
Old Jul 26, 2011, 01:28 AM
Joined Mar 2011
97 Posts
I understand it. But is there any formulization? Illustrated with motor size?motor magnets? or etc.
mir_as82 is offline Find More Posts by mir_as82
Old Jul 28, 2011, 05:25 AM
Antony (France)
Joined Sep 2003
2,918 Posts
Hi

The best is to look at Scorpion catalog
Every motor is indicated with
Stator size (example S3014 means stator 30mm x 14mm stack height)
Turns
Wires (strands number and diameter)
Kv
Weight
Slots, poles ..
Max current
Max Power
For predicting you have free Scorpion Calc to play with
Voltage
Prop
You get rpm, amps, thrust, pitch speed

Then you have a complete design reference to make your own kit on any stator lams

Louis
Fourdan is offline Find More Posts by Fourdan
Old Jul 28, 2011, 06:28 AM
homo ludens modellisticus
The Netherlands, GE, Nijmegen
Joined Feb 2001
10,593 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mir_as82 View Post

See this sticky
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=240993

Vriendelijke groeten Ron
diy motor tips Drive Calculator
diy motor group Cumulus MFC
Ron van Sommeren is offline Find More Posts by Ron van Sommeren
Old Jul 29, 2011, 11:42 AM
Scratch builder
USA, PA, Telford
Joined Apr 2004
1,347 Posts
Yes formuli exist. It takes many calculations to determine windings. Testing and revising is the most reliable and will be necessary anyway to verify the formuli results.

The number of turns determine speed, use the biggest gauge (lowest resistance) wire to fill the slot, as full as your winding machines will allow. Only resort to double wind if your gauge is too thick to wind properly. Comm fusing becomes more difficult too.

Hand winding is a last resort for production quantities.
KenSt is offline Find More Posts by KenSt
Old Jul 29, 2011, 11:58 AM
homo ludens modellisticus
The Netherlands, GE, Nijmegen
Joined Feb 2001
10,593 Posts
As Ken wrote.

Kv x #winds = constant, Kv x Kt = 1 (in SI units, not in Burmese/Nigerian units).
Now do a quick and dirty 10 (or 20) wind with thin wire. Determine Kv_10 using drill press / generator method. Number of winds needed to get desired Kv can now be calculated:
#winds_desired = Kv_10 / Kv_desired x 10 (20).

Manual V's turn calculator, most recent version in one of the last posts:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1062406

Motor forumulas, sticky in this subforum
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=587549

Prettig weekend Ron
diy motor tipsDrive Calculator
diy motor groupCumulus MFC
Ron van Sommeren is offline Find More Posts by Ron van Sommeren
Last edited by Ron van Sommeren; Jul 29, 2011 at 12:09 PM.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 05:29 AM
Portugal, Aveiro
Joined Aug 2010
85 Posts
Good topic
NunoFlyer is offline Find More Posts by NunoFlyer
Old Jul 30, 2011, 08:06 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,851 Posts
This link is directly to the download for the zip file with TC5:

Turn Calculator 5 - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...5&d=1278349768

And Manuel just put a file with a new simple turn calculator there too:

Simple Turn Calculator - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...5&d=1311639725

Wonderful stuff, I couldn't imagine not having those to get you close on the first wind.

I find working in the SI units to be a little vapid, I suppose it is OK for those that have trouble with numbers or remembering details and don't mind taking orders from the French or other people as to what numbers to use.

None of our languages are perfect, why should any one of the prevailing math systems be considered to be?

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes