SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 28, 2012, 04:41 PM
Closed Account
Joined Sep 2011
1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickSide View Post
Added Hanson Hobby. Man I'm going to be racking up some gas bills, I can see it now. Lots of great shops I never knew about and probably others didn't either. Which is the whole point of this thread. Outstanding.
If you haven't been to Hanson Hobby then definitely go check them out. They aren't huge, but they have some vintage plane kits still NIB there as well as newer kits and a few ARFs.
ClosedAccount is offline Find More Posts by ClosedAccount
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 16, 2012, 12:13 PM
Never Under estimate the power
United States, MA, North Attleboro
Joined May 2011
185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smcnally View Post
If you haven't been to Hanson Hobby then definitely go check them out. They aren't huge, but they have some vintage plane kits still NIB there as well as newer kits and a few ARFs.

Now that the weekend is finally rolling around again, I'm going to try to make the trip to Hanson this Sunday.
RickSide is offline Find More Posts by RickSide
Old Mar 24, 2012, 06:48 PM
Closed Account
Joined Sep 2005
589 Posts
hog heaven Sturbridge MA

Been to this store a half dozen times (about 58 miles from home) and it is well stocked with all the usual kits, props, hardware, covering glue etc. Web site:

hogheavenhobbies.com

(508) 347-9350
jim e is offline Find More Posts by jim e
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 25, 2012, 06:53 PM
Joined May 2011
185 Posts
Thanks for the addition. Added to the list!
Old Mar 27, 2012, 01:26 PM
Joined Mar 2012
9 Posts
3 more for SW Connecticut

I actually haven't been to Al's in years... can anyone verify that the store still exists? It is (was?) the best place for R/C in the area.

Al's Hobbies
327 Main Ave.
Norwalk, CT 06851
(203) 846-9932
Gerald D. Jarvis
"Everything for the R/C Hobbyist"
Just south of the Parkway across the street from the old Burger King.
Door around right in back.
Wed. Fri. Sat 11:00AM - 5:00PM, Tues. Thurs. Fri 7:00PM - 9:00PM.

Heritage Hobbies (http://www.heritagehobbies.com/)
33 Danbury Road (Route 7)
Wilton, CT 06897
Telephone: (203) 834-0441
Monday - Closed
Tuesday 10AM - 6PM
Wednesday - 10AM - 6PM
Thursday 10AM - 6PM
Friday 10AM - 6PM
Saturday 10AM - 5:30PM
Sunday 11AM - 5PM

Hobbytown Stamford
1131 High Ridge Road
Stamford, CT 06905
(203) 588-9843
Mon-Thu 10am–7pm
Fri 10am–8pm
Sat 10am–6pm
Sun 11am–5pm
Skadar is offline Find More Posts by Skadar
Old Apr 03, 2012, 09:04 PM
Joined May 2011
185 Posts
Fully Updated. I also added a link back to this thread on my Youtube channel. So hopefully anyone checking out my vids will take a look at this as well.

Hope this is helping out some of the small businesses that power our economy. People say the local hobby shop is dead, but as this list keeps growing I think there are a lot of shops out there that are getting over looked. Shop local guys!
Old Apr 07, 2012, 09:04 PM
H&H
H&H Hobbies
Old mystic CT U.S.A.
Joined Nov 2003
651 Posts
You know Rick, We little guys appreciate your work.
H&H is offline Find More Posts by H&H
Old Apr 10, 2012, 01:43 PM
Joined May 2011
185 Posts
Glad I can help. When I first moved to the area 3 years ago I couldn't find a hobby shop. Google was no help (it kept showing me a local train club) and the yellow pages were a joke. No one I spoke to had any idea if there even were any hobby shops around. I found one, about 2 miles from where I lived at the time and he went out of business two months later because no one knew he was there.

Then I saw a lot of posts on various forums about people traveling and moving and no one being able to find any shops locally in the Metro-Boston area or the surrounding suburbs. Ever since I've been trying to track down every shop within a reasonable drive.

As the list shows, there are a lot of shops nearby and some of them have been here for years, but it seems word of mouth is pretty week. Couple that with the fact that a lot of local clubs will refuse to tell members about any but they're 'favorite' or the one the club deals with the most and you have a lot of missed opportunity.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 12:01 PM
-insert witty saying here-
United States, CT, Killingworth
Joined Dec 2005
1,916 Posts
Some more CT shops...

Amato's Toy and Hobby
Middletown CT

Branford Hobbies
Branford CT

Builld Right Fly Right Hobbies
Wallingford, CT

RC Hobbies n More
Winsted, CT

There are lots more, just go to the Great Planes or Horizon site and do a dealer search...
Hemikiller is online now Find More Posts by Hemikiller
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 18, 2012, 09:23 PM
Joined Apr 2012
32 Posts
Sorry for the slight necropost, but I live within reason from some of the MA shops too. I am seriously considering getting a Stampede 4x4 VXL (or something similar and less $$) from someone in MA. Anyone know where the best price is? I'll probably pay these guys a visit Saturday, they even have a test track to take it for a drive before buying!

http://www.spadaforachoppers.com/rc-cars.asp

They're a place like Orange County Choppers with a hobby store.
Jon17 is offline Find More Posts by Jon17
Last edited by Jon17; Apr 19, 2012 at 10:47 AM.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 09:03 PM
Joined May 2011
185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemikiller View Post
Some more CT shops...

Amato's Toy and Hobby
Middletown CT

Branford Hobbies
Branford CT

Builld Right Fly Right Hobbies
Wallingford, CT

RC Hobbies n More
Winsted, CT

There are lots more, just go to the Great Planes or Horizon site and do a dealer search...
I'll look up some contact info and add them to the list.
My hope is to keep adding (or subtracting if it needs to happen) and keep the list "live". The real intention is to find shops people frequent personally and add some person touches to the list by either being able to say I went or someone did and shop owners can look over this thread and see that their customers are supporting them in more ways than just their purchases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon17 View Post
Sorry for the slight necropost, but I live within reason from some of the MA shops too. I am seriously considering getting a Stampede 4x4 VXL (or something similar and less $$) from someone in MA. Anyone know where the best price is? I'll probably pay these guys a visit Saturday, they even have a test track to take it for a drive before buying!

http://www.spadaforachoppers.com/rc-cars.asp

They're a place like Orange County Choppers with a hobby store.
There was a decent place in the Natik area, but they closed up sadly. I know RC Hover's Hobby Stop has a good bit of car stuff and an outdoor dirt track. I believe Toys for Boys has a track as well, but that's a bit far from you. Hobby Fever had a decent car/truck selection but no track.That's about the extent of my personal knowledge as I'm more of a Plane guy.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 10:17 PM
United States, CT, Rocky Hill
Joined Dec 2010
36 Posts
Rc hobbies n more is the biggest hobby shop I've personally been to. Had everything from micro to 100cc planes , micro to 700 helis, tons of car stuff and parts for everything you can imagine. Nothing like being able to walk in and buy what your looking for and not have to order it.
newheliguy81 is offline Find More Posts by newheliguy81
Old Apr 22, 2012, 02:47 AM
H&H
H&H Hobbies
Old mystic CT U.S.A.
Joined Nov 2003
651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by newheliguy81 View Post
Rc hobbies n more is the biggest hobby shop I've personally been to. Had everything from micro to 100cc planes , micro to 700 helis, tons of car stuff and parts for everything you can imagine. Nothing like being able to walk in and buy what your looking for and not have to order it.
I am also a musician and played at the bar next door to RC Hobbies and More Sat night.
I got a chance to check the shop out for about 5 min before they closed and I agree, It's a very impressive place.
As a hobby shop owner myself, I was inspired by their scope to say the least.
Certainly worth a visit
H&H is offline Find More Posts by H&H
Old Apr 24, 2012, 07:28 PM
DJO
Custom FPV Setups
United States, CT, Stafford
Joined Oct 2011
3,610 Posts
Don't forget to add Time Machine Hobby in Connecticut!!!
DJO is offline Find More Posts by DJO
RCG Plus Member
Old May 07, 2012, 11:17 AM
Joined Jan 2007
5 Posts
Thank you for listing Hog Heaven Hobbies in Sturbridge MA. I am open 7 days a week and offer a good selection of RC parts and accessories, ARFs and kits, engines and motors. Hog Heaven is a full-line shop, with airplanes, helicopters, cars, boats, plastics, railroad, and rockets.

I offer a loyalty program, free to sign up, which earns you 2% store credit with every purchase. And I support every club whose members support me. A club may receive free goods for club events worth 2.5% of its clubmembers' purchases. Thank you in advance for giving us a look.

John Glennon
Owner
JJGlennon is offline Find More Posts by JJGlennon