SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 25, 2011, 09:24 AM
Hervey Bay, Sunny Qld, Australia
Joined Jun 2001
1,773 Posts
Discussion
Removal of covering film heat activated glue from solid surfaces?

Hi,

I have a Omega 2.5m sailplane (composite D box / built up wing) that I have removed the covering film from the inner wing panel. Now I have a distinct mark where the covering film's heat activated glue was.

What is the best solvent / method to remove this glue so that I can re-apply new film?

I was thinking methylated spirits or eucalyptus oil (followed by metho).
Masterpiece is offline Find More Posts by Masterpiece
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 27, 2011, 01:52 AM
KE your cub.
in the gutter, again....
Joined Jun 2005
4,132 Posts
I've seen a few youtube clips of people using strong clear packing tape to remove the residue. just apply it to residue, push it on to the patch, and rip off, seems to work in the clips at least!

Don't whatever you do us eucalyptus oil to remove it, you'll never get anything to stick to it ever again! If you MUST use a solvent, I have in the last used lacquer thinner to good effect, but I'd try the tape trick first.
Curare is offline Find More Posts by Curare
Old Jul 27, 2011, 02:56 AM
Joined Jun 2001
1,773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curare View Post
I've seen a few youtube clips of people using strong clear packing tape to remove the residue. just apply it to residue, push it on to the patch, and rip off, seems to work in the clips at least!

Don't whatever you do us eucalyptus oil to remove it, you'll never get anything to stick to it ever again! If you MUST use a solvent, I have in the last used lacquer thinner to good effect, but I'd try the tape trick first.
Thanks for that Curare,

I just tried methylated spirits and it seems to work after a few rubs.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 07:36 PM
raleigh, NC usa
Joined Aug 2001
1,954 Posts
there is also a product from topflite that use to work pretty well
pval3 is offline Find More Posts by pval3
Old Sep 15, 2011, 07:37 PM
raleigh, NC usa
Joined Aug 2001
1,954 Posts
coverite use to have another product that was a thinner for their balsarite product that also might work too
pval3 is offline Find More Posts by pval3
Old Sep 17, 2011, 06:00 AM
Joined Jun 2001
1,773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pval3 View Post
there is also a product from topflite that use to work pretty well
I'll have to have a look for "a product" from Topflite
Old Sep 18, 2011, 08:27 PM
The Lone Sloper
USA, NY, Orchard Park
Joined Apr 2007
141 Posts
I have used the packaging tape method on balsa surfaces. Apply the tape then use your covering iron over that to warm both and the adhesive will bind better to the tape. If the surface under the covering is painted like my Omega HLG , DO NOT use solvent, it will dissolve the paint.
What you could use is Bestine and only Bestine on a painted surface.
Hopes this helps.
Frank
zbytekfr is offline Find More Posts by zbytekfr
Old Sep 19, 2011, 08:33 AM
Joined Jun 2001
1,773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbytekfr View Post
I have used the packaging tape method on balsa surfaces. Apply the tape then use your covering iron over that to warm both and the adhesive will bind better to the tape. If the surface under the covering is painted like my Omega HLG , DO NOT use solvent, it will dissolve the paint.
What you could use is Bestine and only Bestine on a painted surface.
Hopes this helps.
Frank
Thanks for that. I have since removed the adhesive with methylated spirits and it worked a treat.

I'll have to remember the packing tape trick for balsa surfaces though. Adhesive on balsa is a PITA