HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 25, 2011, 07:25 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,549 Posts
Question
Airtronics FHSS-1 FHSS-2 FHSS-3

I have run several searches on this forum but get no hits on a thread that discusses these three Airtronics FHSS variations.

1) What are the differences? If I was a potential buyer, should I care?

2) Are they compatible with each other?

I see that SD-10G uses FHSS-3

The other aircraft radios use FHSS-1

And there seem to be some receivers that are FHSS-2. This seems to be car/boat receivers. Does that mean the aircraft radios can't talk to these? Could I drive a boat with an FHSS-2 receiver with an RDS-8000 2.4 radio? How about an SD-10G?

If someone owned an Airtronics 2.4 radio prior to the SD-10G would they have to replace all of their receivers in order to use the SD-10G? Can the older radios be upgraged to FHSS-3? Is there any reason to do so?

Spektrum does a really good job of explaining their various generations of 2.4 and what is compatible with what. And, for the most part, things are backward compatible at least one generation. Kinda like the computer industry.

Futaba does a rather poor job, in my opinion, of discussing their FHSS vs. FAST but it is there if you dig around. Things are generally not backward compatible. Futaba seems to have a fairly fragmented product line.

I don't know that much about Hitec's 2.4 line.

After searching the Aritronics.net site I can't find ANYTHING on the Airtronics site that address this at all. Nothing! No compatibility chart, no marketing papers about how great this stuff is. Nothing!

Hopefully all of you smart people can explain it to me.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Last edited by aeajr; Jul 25, 2011 at 07:33 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 25, 2011, 09:30 AM
VegasRay
USA, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Oct 2005
212 Posts
Airtronics

Ed - you asked some good questions and I'm sure the more knowledgable Airtronics people here can supply all of the answers.

The RDS8000 TX is FHSS-1 only. The SD-10G transmitter is both FHSS-1 and FHSS-3.

I hardly use my RDS8000 as everything I need is compatable with the SD-10G. I only use the RDS8000 for my sailboats (I could use the 10G for the boat but clumsy me might fall into the lake and I'd rather sacrifice the less costly RDS8000 TX). The SD-10G is used for ALL of my airplanes. My own RX usage is FHSS-1 (5, 7 and 8 channels) and FHSS-3 (10 channel). There are also other FHSS-3 RX available.

The FHSS-2 is a surface RX compatable with the Airtronics surface (FHSS-2) transmitters. These TX generally have a 'steering' wheel as opposed to control sticks for easier directional steering. FHSS-2 receivers are not compatable with FHSS-1 or FHSS-3 transmitters.

You can click on the following link: http://www.airtronics.net/

Like so many others I went from a Futaba 9C to the Airtronics 2.4 radios and have never looked back.

Ray
VegasRay is online now Find More Posts by VegasRay
Old Jul 25, 2011, 09:48 AM
Joined Sep 2002
1,067 Posts
Airtronics radios are downward compatible.

I've got both the RDS8000 and SD-10G.

The RDS8000 was first and supports FHSS-1. The SD-10G came later and uses FHSS-1 and FHSS-3. There is also PPM8 selectable.

The RDS8000 8ch receiver works with the later SD-10G as well.

FHSS-2 is only for cars/boats. You can drive a car or sail a boat with FHSS-1 and FHSS-3 receivers. Thus, no need for FHSS-2 for me at least.

The newer entrance level SD-5G and SD-6G are FHSS-1 radios. If you get one of them, only FHSS-1 Rx would work. But most of the receivers you would like to get for these 5 and 6ch radios are FHSS-1 Rx anyway. There are lots of choices.

I think, if you get the SD-6G or RDS8000, you do not need any of the FHSS-3 receivers. But if you upgrade to the SD-10G later, you still can use all your FHSS-1 receivers. That's great.

FHSS-3 has some benefits over FHSS-1. For example latency, safety link (model match), adjustable Rx battery voltage warning/failsafe and a more advanced fail safe setting via the Tx software.
Pippin is offline Find More Posts by Pippin
Old Mar 02, 2012, 05:21 PM
stegl
Kelowna , BC
Joined Nov 2008
2,574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pippin View Post
Airtronics radios are downward compatible.

I've got both the RDS8000 and SD-10G.

The RDS8000 was first and supports FHSS-1. The SD-10G came later and uses FHSS-1 and FHSS-3. There is also PPM8 selectable.

The RDS8000 8ch receiver works with the later SD-10G as well.

FHSS-2 is only for cars/boats. You can drive a car or sail a boat with FHSS-1 and FHSS-3 receivers. Thus, no need for FHSS-2 for me at least.

The newer entrance level SD-5G and SD-6G are FHSS-1 radios. If you get one of them, only FHSS-1 Rx would work. But most of the receivers you would like to get for these 5 and 6ch radios are FHSS-1 Rx anyway. There are lots of choices.

I think, if you get the SD-6G or RDS8000, you do not need any of the FHSS-3 receivers. But if you upgrade to the SD-10G later, you still can use all your FHSS-1 receivers. That's great.

FHSS-3 has some benefits over FHSS-1. For example latency, safety link (model match), adjustable Rx battery voltage warning/failsafe and a more advanced fail safe setting via the Tx software.
Hi peppin;
I believe that SD-10G PPM is used for trainer cord use and also for computer trainer/gaming simulator use. Also all the FHSS-3 series receivers have much better range than the -1
stegl is offline Find More Posts by stegl