HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Do you keep your LiPos at Storage Charge?
Yes 183 61.00%
Sometimes 50 16.67%
No 67 22.33%
Voters: 300. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 04, 2012, 06:44 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,833 Posts
Quote:
New lipos are on order - might cycle the old ones to see what is left of them before I salvage the plugs and submerge them.

submerge them as in Salt Water? Oh no here we go again. This very old and very bad advise will never die it seems.
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2012, 07:41 PM
Mach 1
walterboro s.c.u.s.a
Joined Jun 2004
764 Posts
Anybody ever tried one of these? It has Deans written on the side.I think it pulls 20 amps.
pathfinder is online now Find More Posts by pathfinder
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nice
Old Jan 04, 2012, 07:54 PM
RC Helicopter Pilot
United States, CA, Westminster
Joined Mar 2010
1,696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathfinder View Post
Anybody ever tried one of these? It has Deans written on the side.I think it pulls 20 amps.
Several members have posted pictures of the ones they have made up.

I use my charger.
TheWoodCrafter is offline Find More Posts by TheWoodCrafter
Old Jan 04, 2012, 08:20 PM
Joined Jun 2007
455 Posts
I have always kept my li po's at full charge and have never had an issue, the convienience of running over to the field to fly at a moments notice far outways any small loss of duty cycle that i may (or may not) get. I have not noticed any detrimental affect of leaving them charged, I have not heard any safety issues (that could be attributed to storage) and i am getting very good life out of my batteries, all of which are cheap zippys from HK. I wonder if storing them at say 60% would increase the duty cycle, but then if i am getting over 150 cycles that is enough for me at the price of these batteries.
rupert the bear is online now Find More Posts by rupert the bear
Old Jan 04, 2012, 08:55 PM
RC Helicopter Pilot
Joined Mar 2010
1,696 Posts
That is pretty good service rupert.

It also depends how hard you use them.

Putting around in a high wing trainer versus a hard flying 3D helicopter are definitely 2 different things.

Many guys have posted that they stored their packs full for a few months and they were worthless after that.

So I think you have been very lucky.
Old Jan 04, 2012, 09:33 PM
Joined Jun 2007
455 Posts
I should qualify my statements by adding a few things, i generally stay within 75% of the max c rating of the batteries (except in my hotliner) they are never over discharged, and they all get used on a regular basis (they are not left more than about 6 weeks)
There is an improvement in performance (although not huge) when i run a brand new battery side by side with one that is old (say 100 cycles or more)
The slightly lesser performing batteries get relegated from the aerobatic plane (Funtana 50x) to the warbird (kyosho p40) or the GP Piper Cherokee. They all run the same 4cell 5000mha which ensures that none of them get left sitting.
If i was to go on a world cruise (chance would be a fine thing!) i would possibly feel more comfortable leaving them at 60 or 70% charged.
I also store them all in metal tool boxes inside another large metal box, i would not want to think any body would lose there property or worse if the the worst did happen !
rupert the bear is online now Find More Posts by rupert the bear
Old Jan 05, 2012, 03:18 PM
Mach 1
walterboro s.c.u.s.a
Joined Jun 2004
764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWoodCrafter View Post
Several members have posted pictures of the ones they have made up.

I use my charger.
I have about 40 lipo's, and I have a Hyperion 720i super duo to put them in storage.But I thought I would try the deans bulb discharger.My charger gets worked to death.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 05, 2012, 03:26 PM
RC Helicopter Pilot
Joined Mar 2010
1,696 Posts
Quote:
I have about 40 lipo's, and I have a Hyperion 720i super duo to put them in storage.But I thought I would try the deans bulb discharger.My charger gets worked to death.
That bulb setup is NOT automatic.
You do need to watch it.

I think paralleling up a bunch of packs and putting them on the charger to discharge (on automatic) would be less trouble.
Old Jan 06, 2012, 12:21 AM
Mach 1
walterboro s.c.u.s.a
Joined Jun 2004
764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWoodCrafter View Post
That bulb setup is NOT automatic.
You do need to watch it.

I think paralleling up a bunch of packs and putting them on the charger to discharge (on automatic) would be less trouble.

Let's discuss para charging.I just bought a paraboard.I have tried charging 5 packs packs at on time on one side of my 720i duo.It takes forever.I am using a 30 amp 13.8 power supply.I am looking at a 50 amp 24v power supply. If I get this new power supply will it charge or put them in storage any faster?Put it as simple as you can. I am not an electrical engineer.I can feel my head hurting already.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 06, 2012, 12:50 AM
RC Helicopter Pilot
Joined Mar 2010
1,696 Posts
You don't have enough power coming out of your charger.

You are only getting half the rated capacity when you power it with less than 24V.

Get another 12v power supply and wire it in series with the one you have.
That will give you 24V and double the output of your charger.

Now if you are trying to lower the voltage to storage, that is different.
Old Jan 06, 2012, 05:37 PM
Flying from Vic Park
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined May 2011
2,416 Posts
Does it stuff your Lipo batteries if you use them at the their starage charge 3.80v with charging them first?
Yes you get shorter flight times but is that all.
Great_Goose is offline Find More Posts by Great_Goose
Old Jan 06, 2012, 05:51 PM
Build it, don't buy it
Calgary, AB, Canada
Joined Apr 2008
2,201 Posts
I know I should but have never worried about storage charge, lipos are left at whatever point they happened to be at when I lost interest, sometimes fully charged for months, sometimes mostly depleted.
I suppose they don't perform like they used to but it happened slowly so I haven't noticed.

Cheers,
Carey.
foamnpacktape is offline Find More Posts by foamnpacktape
Old Jan 06, 2012, 11:54 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined May 2011
4,522 Posts
Quote:
Let's discuss para charging.I just bought a paraboard.I have tried charging 5 packs packs at on time on one side of my 720i duo.It takes forever.I am using a 30 amp 13.8 power supply.I am looking at a 50 amp 24v power supply. If I get this new power supply will it charge or put them in storage any faster?Put it as simple as you can. I am not an electrical engineer.I can feel my head hurting already.
The Hyperion Charger is Maxed. at 20 Amps per side.I really do not know the capacity of your Packs or the Series?? Your limited to 20A per side, your packs have to be in the same Series...Why is taking so long? No Idea?? This Super Duo 3 charger I have is absolutely amazing...Fastest Charger I've ever owned! I have a Mean-Well RSP-1000-24/40 Power supply. Cat's A$$!! http://www.trcelectronics.com/Meanwe...-1000-24.shtml
ZACATTACK is offline Find More Posts by ZACATTACK
Old Jul 09, 2014, 03:00 PM
Turkey, Istanbul
Joined Nov 2009
19 Posts
Hi guys,

For some reason I kept my lipos at full charge for a "long long long" time (2 years). Should I throw all away? Is there a way to test them on the ground?
bmozdemir is offline Find More Posts by bmozdemir
Old Jul 09, 2014, 03:06 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Dec 2009
505 Posts
slowly charge up ur lipo ( maybe 0.5 amp or less) this may bring ur old lipo to life. but it won't have the good punch like it used to be. it all depends what u want to fly. if flying trainers ( T-28, super cub, gliders) u should be ok with older lipos. ( that is how i use my old lipos before throwing them away). flying something fast- like stryker/ or any jets, then the old lipo probably won't be able to give u much fun.

when charging, always sit close by ur batteries. u know lipo fire is deadly. if u don't know what lipo fire looks like, go you tube search for lipo fire. good luck
bigtruck169 is offline Find More Posts by bigtruck169
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: tricopter video