HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Do you keep your LiPos at Storage Charge?
Yes 183 61.00%
Sometimes 50 16.67%
No 67 22.33%
Voters: 300. You may not vote on this poll

Old Sep 06, 2011, 08:49 PM
Mcminnville, Or USA
Joined Jul 2009
597 Posts
I think some of you guys may be a tad paranoid about leaving lipos fully charged.
I also will discharge my lipos for storage if I am not going to use them within a week or less.
Most manufactures will state that you can keep a lipo fully charged for 7 days without any appreciable damage.
It has been my experience that the majority of lipos will more likely die from crash damage or finally expire from cycling the pack too many times than deterioration from being in a fully charged state too long.
I fully agree storing a lipo fully charged for an extended period will damage or shorten the battery life.
And if you do leave your packs fully charged all the time you will spend more money on batteries than if you stored them at a safe voltage.
But I dont worry about having a pack sit around for a few days fully charged in a fire safe box.
zero2444 is offline Find More Posts by zero2444
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 06, 2011, 10:00 PM
Yep I got another one.
Springfield, Mo.
Joined Jan 2005
2,529 Posts
I started to do storage charges after work keep me from getting out much this summer. I now will charge the packs I will use for the day the night before, and storage charged the them when I get home. I also discharge the ones that I take and don't use.

Mo.
mohillbilly is offline Find More Posts by mohillbilly
Old Sep 07, 2011, 03:04 AM
BrainFart RC-Pilot
Echt, Netherlands
Joined Aug 2003
3,151 Posts
62.5% stats yes right now
I would expect that it would be at least 80% of the users
TreeDiver is online now Find More Posts by TreeDiver
Old Sep 07, 2011, 08:53 AM
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
2,110 Posts
I only fly on weekends and all LiPo's are storage charged and kept in the fridge in a ziploc bag,i live in a very warm contry.I have a LiFe 2500mah Tx batt and storage charge but leave it in the Tx would it be smart to stick it in the fridge as the LiPo's????Reason i don't do this is i've read these batts are more tolerant.
The Tug is offline Find More Posts by The Tug
Old Sep 07, 2011, 09:23 AM
Joined Jul 2006
239 Posts
Geez...I bought my first lipo for my old PZ spitfire on the weekend and after reading this thread I'm starting to wish I'd just kept my old Nimh's! The guy at the hobby store where I bought the battery said "if you're not going to use it for say 4 months, then put it in storage mode..." Well 4 months is a lot different than 1-12hrs!! Now I'm a nervous wreck waiting for it to go postal and ignite at any moment! LOL
So now I see that I need a fireproof box (going to be my barbeque) or have to explain to my wife I need some freezer space! On a positive note, my Spit ran for 20 minutes compared to 5 with the old batteries--what a difference!
Big Bad Wulf is offline Find More Posts by Big Bad Wulf
Old Sep 07, 2011, 09:48 AM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,863 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bad Wulf View Post
Geez...I bought my first lipo for my old PZ spitfire on the weekend and after reading this thread I'm starting to wish I'd just kept my old Nimh's! The guy at the hobby store where I bought the battery said "if you're not going to use it for say 4 months, then put it in storage mode..." Well 4 months is a lot different than 1-12hrs!! Now I'm a nervous wreck waiting for it to go postal and ignite at any moment! LOL
So now I see that I need a fireproof box (going to be my barbeque) or have to explain to my wife I need some freezer space! On a positive note, my Spit ran for 20 minutes compared to 5 with the old batteries--what a difference!
Not everybody says you have to use a storage charge even if you won’t be flying for 1-12 hours.

If you take a little time and read through some of the posts in a few of these battery threads you’ll find there is a broad spectrum of people from casual flyers to those who are flying their LiPos very hard and from those who use inexpensive LiPos and treat them casually to those who use the best LiPos they feel their money can buy and take all possible precautions. You have to use your own common sense/judgment to determine where in this range you fall and make the call for yourself. Me, I’m flying some of my LiPos pretty hard in my silly-fast “pylon” planes and some of the batteries I have are pretty expensive, so I want to get the most out of them. Therefore, I have read up in these threads and treat my batteries accordingly. But if you’re the average, casual “sport” flyer who uses bargain batteries and aren’t pushing them very hard, then I would simply do some of the elementary calculations (flight time vs. capacity used so as not to over discharge your LiPos) and take reasonable storage precautions (don’t store LiPos fully-charged in a warm environment and always store them somewhere fireproof like a metal tool box, etc.).

There’s no need to be a nervous wreck. Just educate yourself a little, make your own decisions and have fun.

Tim
KRProton is offline Find More Posts by KRProton
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 07, 2011, 10:19 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,834 Posts
Big Bad Wulf

I suggest you read post #22
There is a major difference between paying less than $20 for a LiPoly to be used at 10C or less average discharge rate and paying $50 to $500 fo one that really needs to deliver all the performance possible.

FYI Most LHS employees are by no means battery experts.
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Sep 07, 2011, 03:00 PM
Future Pilot
Canada
Joined Apr 2011
1,573 Posts
I am getting one of the PKZ1040 2-3 balancing cell chargers to start. It doesn't have a function for storage charge, so what should I do?

I heard full charge is also alright, but I am not sure.

Any suggestions? All my lipos are currently 2 cells. Thanks guys! Great input in this thread
astronaut is offline Find More Posts by astronaut
Old Sep 07, 2011, 03:34 PM
BrainFart RC-Pilot
Echt, Netherlands
Joined Aug 2003
3,151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by astronaut View Post
I am getting one of the PKZ1040 2-3 balancing cell chargers to start. It doesn't have a function for storage charge, so what should I do?

I heard full charge is also alright, but I am not sure.

Any suggestions? All my lipos are currently 2 cells. Thanks guys! Great input in this thread
Good one...
Does it display the amount of mAh charged?
After flying you can sit next to it (reading a book) and make it charge about 40% of the capacity.

Boring....of course..

And if you have money... purchase a charger that has this function.
For instance an iCharger or so
TreeDiver is online now Find More Posts by TreeDiver
Old Sep 07, 2011, 03:37 PM
Joined Jul 2006
239 Posts
Thanks for the feedback guys--I think I'll get into the habit of charging to 40% (that's what my charger uses as the storage rate) right after I get home from flying, then charge it the night before flying. There is a lot to learn about batteries!
Big Bad Wulf is offline Find More Posts by Big Bad Wulf
Old Sep 07, 2011, 04:32 PM
Norway
Joined Dec 2007
1,621 Posts
I keep my LiPo's fully charged all the time ready to fly when it suit's
the weather and me :-) I've done so with all my LiPo's now for
3-4 years. I've got LiPo's who is over 3 years still working so
I see no point doing storage charge that is waste of time.

Please note I don't have big expensive LiPo's if I had
I would probably be a bit more careful ...

Has anybody tested/compared 2 similar batteries one
fully charged all the time against a storage charged battery?
FLOEY is online now Find More Posts by FLOEY
Old Sep 07, 2011, 05:38 PM
**** 37130 ****
Joined Aug 2007
1,781 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLOEY View Post
Has anybody tested/compared 2 similar batteries one
fully charged all the time against a storage charged battery?
I have three 800 mAH 2S 20C packs that I use in a 50W vintage job that only gets airborne a couple of times a year. These packs are kept at storage charge at ambient temperature and are still going strong after four years. I used to have four of these packs and I thought I had lost one until I was readying my backpack for a vintage session, hey presto one fully charged 800 mAH 2S 20C pack. It had sat under the lining of the bag for at least a year, possibly eighteen months. The cells were both over 4V and balanced, so I discharged and recharged it and as all seemed well I decided go give it a flight.

After blowing the dust off and re-trimming with a known good pack I cut the flight short after fifteen minutes to give the prodigal battery a turn. After about 2 minutes, I had managed about one and three quarters circuits when the motor died. I had to close the throttle and restart the motor a couple of times to get back into our field and onto terra-firma. On checking the pack it was hot and puffy and the cells measured 2.7V and 2.4V.

So after a year plus stored at full voltage this 20C rated pack could not cope with an 8C load and expired. The remaining three that have been looked after behaved as expected on their outings again this year.
RobC(UK) is offline Find More Posts by RobC(UK)
Old Sep 07, 2011, 08:51 PM
Future Pilot
Canada
Joined Apr 2011
1,573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeDiver View Post
Good one...
Does it display the amount of mAh charged?
After flying you can sit next to it (reading a book) and make it charge about 40% of the capacity.

Boring....of course..

And if you have money... purchase a charger that has this function.
For instance an iCharger or so
Nope, it does not have any display unfortunately. I will get a better charger someday, but not just yet.

Is there any other way I can do this?
Old Sep 07, 2011, 09:01 PM
Yep I got another one.
Springfield, Mo.
Joined Jan 2005
2,529 Posts
Set a timer, If your pack is 1000mah it will take about 1 hr to charge at 1C or 1A. Now your not going to have used the whole 1000mah instead of 30mins, i would set a timer for 20 mins and call it good.

Mo.
mohillbilly is offline Find More Posts by mohillbilly
Old Sep 07, 2011, 09:05 PM
Future Pilot
Canada
Joined Apr 2011
1,573 Posts
Hmm okay, but is there no way to assess if the lipo is in storage state by the voltage level on the entire lipo (or individual cells)? Thanks a lot!