Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
View Poll Results: Do you keep your LiPos at Storage Charge?
Yes 182 60.87%
Sometimes 50 16.72%
No 67 22.41%
Voters: 299. You may not vote on this poll

Old Aug 10, 2011, 02:38 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Sep 2004
2,550 Posts
For nanotech the ones that recently died were 2200 3s 45c packs.

My other 1800 25c 3s packs are still ok but they get very warm even though I'm not really pushing them that hard. The 1750 25c 3s Rhinos I used before that lasted 2.5 years in the same plane and only barely got warm compared to these nano-techs.
cjbucher is offline Find More Posts by cjbucher
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 11, 2011, 01:56 AM
BrainFart RC-Pilot
Echt, Netherlands
Joined Aug 2003
3,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbucher View Post
For nanotech the ones that recently died were 2200 3s 45c packs.

My other 1800 25c 3s packs are still ok but they get very warm even though I'm not really pushing them that hard. The 1750 25c 3s Rhinos I used before that lasted 2.5 years in the same plane and only barely got warm compared to these nano-techs.
typical
The Nano's I have are the 25C packs. They are good, especially the small 350mAh. The 25C 2200 are light, but that is all. They turn pale against the GensAce pack.
Also I found out that the 30C and 40C Turnigy packs I have here, do have very low IR. Seems that the regular Turnigy do beat their Nano's.
But as it is...maybe the Nano's are from a different plant? If you look at their ESC, they have allot types and re-branded things.
TreeDiver is online now Find More Posts by TreeDiver
Last edited by TreeDiver; Aug 11, 2011 at 07:04 AM.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 12:52 AM
Australia
Joined Nov 2010
2,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
Yes.

One to twelve hours.

Charles
I'm with you.
lipoflyer is offline Find More Posts by lipoflyer
Old Aug 21, 2011, 09:21 AM
Sparta,WI,USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,537 Posts
I use "storage charge" only when winter arrives. Being retired I fly at the drop of the hat and always want everything ready to go. The majority of my flights are with the 3D TwistedHobbies Slick which uses 2S-450's--(I have 8 of them ready to go). Probably should store my 4S-2200 that I use in my EDF jet as I don't fly that to often.

RonJ
Wisconsin
RonJ is offline Find More Posts by RonJ
Old Aug 24, 2011, 08:19 PM
The "Foaminator"
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2007
2,104 Posts
If I know I'm not going to use a pack(s) then it goes to storage, otherwise there 90 to 100 percent ready to go.

It's not a good thing that's for sure, but frankly I get my moneys worth out of my packs and replacement will come from useage and abusage LOL.

there's plenty of technical info out there on the lipos, hunt it down read it and make your own decisoin your happy with.

Off the top of my head I do recall reading a while back a white paper from a lipo manufactuer that said, Do not fully charge them until ready for use as they will begin to deteriate after just 4 hours at full charge! How about that?
mikeruth is offline Find More Posts by mikeruth
Old Aug 30, 2011, 07:18 AM
who dares wins
London,England
Joined Apr 2005
1,764 Posts
I always leave at storage charge.

1 hour. I charge at the field to 95%, 2C-4C rate.
like2fly! is offline Find More Posts by like2fly!
Old Aug 30, 2011, 10:09 AM
pgk
Joined Mar 2011
25 Posts
I always put my packs into a strorage charge after use. I have been charging my packs the night before so they are ready to run first thing in the morning, from what Iv'e read here I think I would be better off charging at a higher C rate just prior to a run..??
pgk is offline Find More Posts by pgk
Old Sep 05, 2011, 04:30 PM
still learning
west Georgia, USA
Joined Nov 2007
409 Posts
During flying season (weekend flying mostly) -

I buy cheap lipos and charge fully. Less hassle.

Someone else posted to charge fully and store in refrig. - says almost as good as storage charge during flying season.
aeroknot is offline Find More Posts by aeroknot
Old Sep 05, 2011, 05:03 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined May 2011
3,833 Posts
Refridgerator

Do I keep my packs in the fridge after storage charging? How long before I have to re-charge the packs while in storage??
ZACATTACK is offline Find More Posts by ZACATTACK
Old Sep 05, 2011, 06:10 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,362 Posts
With a good charger like my new Power Lab 8 its easy to put a LiPo at storage charge. You just select that program and it does all the work it even automatically detects the number of cells so you just push the go button and the pack always ends up at 3.85v/cell.

A good charger really pays for itself in the long run by making batteries last longer.

RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Sep 05, 2011, 06:15 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,362 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZACATTACK View Post
Do I keep my packs in the fridge after storage charging? How long before I have to re-charge the packs while in storage??
About a year.

Unless a LiPo is damaged it will stay at storage charge almost indefinitely.

Old Sep 05, 2011, 06:19 PM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man View Post
With a good charger like my new Power Lab 8 its easy to put a LiPo at storage charge. You just select that program and it does all the work it even automatically detects the number of cells so you just push the go button and the pack always ends up at 3.85v/cell.

A good charger really pays for itself in the long run by making batteries last longer.

I have a Power Lab 8 on my wish list. I cant decide which package to get. what do you recommend?
VP
Victory Pete is offline Find More Posts by Victory Pete
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 05, 2011, 07:00 PM
Team Mulikow
Joined May 2007
920 Posts
I always storage charge my batteries. When I first started out in the hobby I couldn't figure out why my batteries would only last about 1/2 to 2/3 as what most people were getting. Part of the problem was that I would fully charge them as soon as I got home from the field and there they would sit, sometimes for 2-3 weeks at a time.

Now that I storage charge them and also only charge them once they've had proper time to cool down I get much longer life out of them.
Zeta30 is offline Find More Posts by Zeta30
Old Sep 06, 2011, 05:08 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,362 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory Pete View Post
I have a Power Lab 8 on my wish list. I cant decide which package to get. what do you recommend?
VP

Quantum Hobby has a good price http://www.quantumhobby.com/category_s/483.htm

Get the correct balance adapter to match your batteries.

Also get the USB interface cable. I already had one from my old CellPro 10s.

I already had a 45 amp 15v power supply and that plenty for the batteries that I have.

Old Sep 06, 2011, 06:04 AM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man View Post
Quantum Hobby has a good price http://www.quantumhobby.com/category_s/483.htm

Get the correct balance adapter to match your batteries.

Also get the USB interface cable. I already had one from my old CellPro 10s.

I already had a 45 amp 15v power supply and that plenty for the batteries that I have.

What a coincidence, Quantum is one of my LHSs!
VP
Victory Pete is offline Find More Posts by Victory Pete
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)