HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 02, 2011, 10:54 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2004
571 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by faichan View Post
Likely you flew it too fast. The Ogar is designed with a 9x6 three blade prop. spinning at 8500 rpm, giving a maximum speed of 51 mph. With a 9x6 APC prop. ( I couldn't find a 3 blade 9x6 APC ) and at 320W, the propeller is spinning about 11500 rpm, pushing the speed to 69 mph. The Ogar is not designed to fly fast, fast plane with bumpy wind will make the wing flap. The original design calls for a 180W motor, and 1800mAh battery. The light weight set up allow the Ogar to stay airborne at half throttle. Using more powerful motor and double the battery size increase the flying weight and hence the stalling speed. Using 4S and more powerful motor with heavier weight will not improve the flying performance of the Ogar. Try the opposite and you will see the difference.
It would be easy to transplant to a lightweight setup. Maybe I'll give it a try next time, but right now too many other projects!
dtm360 is offline Find More Posts by dtm360
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 02, 2011, 11:00 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2004
571 Posts
Actually with an AUW of 1425g I was only 125g over the quoted weight of 1300g.... so I wasn't that heavy! Overpowered yes..... but I rarely use full throttle... except to get out of trouble. Maybe I'll just stick with my other projects....
dtm360 is offline Find More Posts by dtm360
Old Sep 11, 2011, 01:33 PM
Joined Aug 2010
88 Posts
Maiden today....

I MAIDEN flew my World Models/WingMaker Ogar today; I did not put Ailerons on the wings; just the large rudder and elevator: FrSky 8channel , phoenix 35/45, 3cell lipo 2100 and about 3 full rows of lead weight (in addition to the already present 4oz weights) = 3LBS all up weight w/ plenty of 3M extreme tape: on the bottom of the wings mainly.

1. PREFLIGHT note: I did NOT use AILERONS or even mount them; I did not see the need for them = bad Idea I found in retrospect; as the airplane pulled right and I kept feeding it left trim RUDDER until there was no more, it kept doing it and I flicked high rate rudder, still the same as I flew with full left rudder and still going right and hard. Kept managing the situation with throttle and elevator but plane definitely out of control by turning right and eventually I allowed it to land when best surrounding crash site became available, it kept spinning right in poor crash position except the very end as speed was very low and at 5 feet altitude when she became mostly upright and went down 100s of feet over and on open farm/cow plane.

2. I managed to crash land mostly upright: The tail/rudder wheel broke but without any significant damage to the attachment points of the body or the rudder (maybe it was meant to break that way which was great). I wonder if I can just put skid here and wether the large rudder may give me enough authority when taking off -see photo.

3. The lift off on pavement went great despite 4 mile crosswind. the blue TAKE OFF STAND actually worked well as vendor had emphasized to me.

4. PREFLIGHT note: I previously had to replace the upgrade engine that may have had shorted wire(s); I had not tested the engine out of the box but only tested it after mounting (not recommended), so possible damage may have occurred during my handling but the wires covering were like rubber material, a bit dinky and slid off the wires back and forth kind of weird, I had not seen that b 4. I suggest you protect / not tamper with the black shrink wrap material at the engine wire exit joint; again not sure why the engine problem but the seller however was gracious and did not give me a hard time except simply asking me to test to see if any cold soldering may have been the culprit which was not the case here; please NOTE: you do have to run the wires past the engine mount and then solder extension and then solder the connectors (the manual does not warn you of this); this is because the path to inside the cabin access is long and the connectors do not pass through the engine mount. So add all this soldering plus a de-solder for me : but there seemed to be plenty of power available from this outrunner option once I mounted the replacement.

5. PREFLIGHT NOTE: I did not use the nose cone/spinner as I generally do not like them and never use them; I have had poor experience previously with screws breaking in the plastic = nightmare, so I did not use it; I figured that in this case lack of spinner would allow the folding prop to actually fold; anyways, upon the mini crash investigation there was damage to the foam behind the prop as I had suspected because the prop also folds both ways to the front and to the back; possible the the prop does not do this if the spinner was used but remember that the spinner does NOT have back plate. I did have spinner on at first but did not look balanced upon running the engine so I took it off. Maybe I will try to put it back on I guess and / or reinforce the foam area next to prop.

Summary: I still like this airplane very much, seller/manufacture support has been good; needs ailerons to fly (at least to help trim straight flight).

It is going to take several of us to start flying the plane and pave the way with solutions. Hopefully summarizing them on the FIRST page (please !!) of the blog if it starts to become a novel. I will try to post another maiden when I place the ailerons on and take her for a ride this Thursday.
RootCanalGuy is offline Find More Posts by RootCanalGuy
Last edited by RootCanalGuy; Jan 06, 2012 at 02:20 AM.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 05:31 PM
Joined Aug 2010
88 Posts
Second Maidan -w/ailerons this time

Fixed the rear wheel that broke in the first lame maiden crash (my fault for no ailerons) but the new wheel with the correct part number was the same size however was made of much lighter wire and had much shorter rudder insertion about 3 mm vs. an inch or so (rough eyeballing here) : so I found a servo grommet's eyelet and glued it and placed the short extension in the grommet, figured this is easier on the plastic of the wheel assembly and the rudder next mishap so I was fine with this (maybe redesigned?) -see photo.

Got the ailerons installed and decided to put some of the great real estate space to use by starting to pile on some equipment as I will eventually do for fpv, but NO FPV gear yet. Added, CC 7-10 amp BEC, flight stabilizer, and second battery for the bec; decided to switch FrSky Rx and replace with trusty Spek AR 7000 -see photo of fuse.

Relatively nice day for maiden: 8AM & 8mph wind -see photo of wind sock;

Took off nice from its blue stand w/wheels, it pulled right just like last time but this time I possessed ailerons so I gave left aileron trim a few clicks and fixed that issue, then a few more passes later it begged a few clicks of Rudder and all was well; flew for about 10minuts and brought her down not knowing if I could use pavement or not (this asphalt will eat steel if you let it), decided to land on the runway anyway and I could not believe how nicely she balanced on the bicycle ! / two inline wheels; on all landings the already factory hard plastic covered wing tips did not touch pavement until the very end: sweet !!
I was pleased with the flight characteristics of this fpv airplane; flies way way better than SkyWalker ; I will say the Ogar flight ability and character lay somewhere between a sport flier and a glider; certainly not a sport plane, very short of Radian gliding, and definitely NOT a soaring plane; needs throttle or it drops somewhat quick with out giving elevator; so I gave more and more elevator trim until it started bobbing and lost flight capability in different ways, so I reduced the trim back and now gave only a few clicks of up elevator trying to hit a sweet spot that was not really there! even though my CG was on factory rec.; so , I am thinking either the design of the wonderfully large Komodo Dragon head cockpit cannot penetrate the wind smoothly or the recommended CG is off in it's recommendation, I do not know. However, one way to counter this is a good flight stabilizer, when I flicked it on it seemed to suddenly turn into a decent glider; the FY20A worked great in that I would shut off thrust and the Ogar would stay in the air and bleed altitude slowly; this is similar to my experience with other planes, such as Stryker w/copilot 1, or SkyWalker w/copilot 2, SkySurfer w/3 axis gyro, etc.
I flew ten minute flights on the 3cell 2100 and every time I had 40% left (down from 95%), so flight time is about 15-20min. on 3 cell 2100. I flew 3 battery packs today. First time launched off the stand well; second time a small rock messed the stand and kicked airplane off the stand and then against my better judgment I full throttled it and it just flew up off the asphalt very quickly (no damage), and the third time consistent with my own better judgement but against manufacturer suggestion/heavy caution I threw it into the wind and off it went EASY !!. So, it flies well, handles well, but needs throttle to keep going, unless you are up high, got wind, and turn on flight stabilizer: then it starts to look like it is gliding. All Up Weight: 3lbs; Upgrade motor Speed: 30-40mph; Stall recovery: not an issue.

Summary:

Pros:
1. roomy
2. strong body
3. short build out time 4-8 hours
4. very thoughtful design and extras
5. US sale and good support thus far
6. flies well, turns well, large and graceful
7. no bad habits nor propensity for suicide
Cons:
1. prop protection needed on the foam -check photo above
2. needs to have extra pack of wing joiner rubber bands included

This was the most graceful FPV airplane I have ever flown; she flies and lands like a dream. It was a pleasure purchasing, building, and flying. Please bear in mind this plane was not intended to be a soaring plane or great glider; it is a scale design; the real Ogar was intended to carry two passengers ! and this scale foam version, to FPV'ers delight, allows tons of "stuff" to be placed in that large frontal fuse / passenger area. Overall I give it : 2 BIG thumbs up. Looking forward to see what you folks think of the Ogar. My next serious FPV journey is now underway...perhaps only to turn old and gray waiting for my already paid for EZUHF to become available in stock. Until then, I will take a chance and dare to prematurely conclude: that at this time, this foamy Ogar is probably the best FPV airplane platform available on the market today.
Best of Luck,
RC Guy
Last edited by RootCanalGuy; Oct 09, 2011 at 02:30 AM.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 04:21 PM
Joined Jul 2007
2 Posts
Not sure if you have installed the spinner, it helps to reduce drag of the Ogar. You may also try moving the CG back say 5mm at a time until you find the sweet spot.
faichan is offline Find More Posts by faichan
Old Sep 24, 2011, 07:48 PM
Joined Aug 2010
88 Posts
bettering the glide...

@chan:
I will move CG back to see...thank you for input.
RC Guy
Old Sep 25, 2011, 02:00 PM
Enumclaw Washington
Joined Jun 2009
5 Posts
Ogar issues

So I bought my Ogar from TWM the day I saw the add in Fly RC, fast shipping and what a cool bird! I went with the assembled version so I could get in the air soonest. first two flights were great, tons of power for climb out and oh so graceful. definitely needs ail-rud mix for good turns. On my third attempted flight I throttled up for takeoff, the props slammed forward into the nacelle braking one off and before I could throttle down the fire wall came loose from the foam and punched a hole the fuse! *&*^%#@^&$*!!!! TWM says the will replace the parts but the firewall was installed when the fuse was joined so it is going to be a bugger. The prop either needs a plate to keep from over extending or maybe just soft start on the ESC.
donnbauer is offline Find More Posts by donnbauer
Old Sep 29, 2011, 06:15 PM
Joined Aug 2010
88 Posts
prop hitting fuse...2 more solutions + 1more

Sorry to hear about the severe damage to your bird, it is frustrating. I would like to suggest two additional solutions to what you have already mentioned; as you may notice on my picture and summary above I have had the same issue with the prop hitting the fuse; I have gathered that if I DO NOT program ESC/engine brake and allow the folding prop NOT to fold but instead keep rotating during flight: then the prop does not hit the fuse. But, as you can test on bench top: if you fold the prop, then give it thrust it hits the fuse first. So, one solution until otherwise addressed is to program not to have "brake" on your ESC (if you have the option), and manually unfold prop prior to take off / initial throttle. As long as your prop keeps spinning it does not need to fold cause it is low drag already; and if you believe THAT then you may also use non-folding prop: problem solved .
Here is another suggestion: prop stop ! http://www.getfpv.com/accessories/fo...prop-stop.html
Last edited by RootCanalGuy; Apr 15, 2012 at 01:13 PM.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 07:28 PM
Joined Aug 2010
88 Posts
CG & gliding ability...

@faichan:
did move the CG back 5mm (from published) as instructed and it greatly improved the elevator trim (now none needed); gliding ability is perhaps improved but not significantly; however, in the presence of wind (higher altitude) and flight stabilization on: she seemed to glide noticeably (slow loss of altitude).
Old Oct 28, 2011, 01:11 PM
México, NL, Guadalupe
Joined Sep 2011
52 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RootCanalGuy View Post
Sorry to hear about the severe damage to your bird, it is frustrating. I would like to suggest two additional solutions to what you have already mentioned; as you may notice on my picture and summary above I have had the same issue with the prop hitting the fuse; I have gathered that if I DO NOT program ESC/engine brake and allow the folding prop NOT to fold but instead keep rotating during flight: then the prop does not hit the fuse. But, as you can test on bench top: if you fold the prop, then give it thrust it hits the fuse first. So, one solution until otherwise addressed is to program not to have "brake" on your ESC (if you have the option), and manually unfold prop prior to take off / initial throttle. As long as your prop keeps spinning it does not need to fold cause it is low drag already; and if you believe THAT then you may also use non-folding prop: problem solved .
Hello guys, I had the same issue with the prop hitting my power pod when it extended, so my solution was very simple: just added a small piece of piano wire to the root of each blade as a stop mechanism, just had to be carefull to install them in a way that they get to work ONLY if the prop blade extends further than the regular working position, maybe a couple of pics explains this better, hope this works for you, it definetely worked for my power pod.
By the way, the gliding performance of my sailplanes increases alot when the folding propeller stops turning so I used the ¨brake¨ on the ESC.
I am planning to buy an Ogar kit too!
ROLO1963 is offline Find More Posts by ROLO1963
Old Oct 29, 2011, 10:54 AM
Joined Aug 2010
88 Posts
Upgrade engine and prop solution

folks are asking me where I got my Ogar upgrade engine; I see that it is hard to find online as I found out about it myself after the purchase by looking in the manual; so, yes I am using the upgrade engine and it has enough power for me: however, your options are the factory upgrade engine as you can see in my scan of the manual:
#1: see attached photo

or

#2: famous for having outstandingly superb and honest reputation in the FPV industry: Tim @ ReadyMadeRC just provided solutions for power combination and folding prop damage issue: http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=490
Last edited by RootCanalGuy; Oct 29, 2011 at 11:02 AM.
Old Nov 06, 2011, 02:12 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Oct 2011
21 Posts
Hi guys, I have just crushed my EPP-FPV and considering Ogar as my FPV platform. I understand that you did not have any problems with hand launch - I have no option since we have only grass strip. I guess the total mass of this bird including FPV can reach 1400 grams and hand launch should be possible as it was possible with my EPP-FPV. Cheers, Tony
TonyRe is offline Find More Posts by TonyRe
Old Nov 06, 2011, 02:40 AM
Houba ! Houba !!
United Kingdom, England, Milton Keynes
Joined Sep 2003
6,045 Posts
the problem with FPV is that it is not really easy to gauge the rate of descent of the plane unless you have an OSD.
even with the OSD you cannot really know if the descent rate is too fast for the plane, you cannot see the wings bending unless you have a 360 degrees pan.

My point is, that it is possible to get to speeds which could be destructive for the wings.
looking a the promotional video it looks like the wing can flap a lot under stress (which is better than breaking under stress)...

so the critical question on this plane is if it can survive a shallow dive without breaking up (like some skywalkers did including mine )
rcmonster99 is online now Find More Posts by rcmonster99
Old Nov 06, 2011, 07:46 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Oct 2011
21 Posts
Hi RC Guy,
If I buy it I have no other option but to hand launch. I gather, you did not have any problems despite weight/mass and manufacturer recommendation. I am only 5'10" and hope to be able to do it - I did not have any problems with EPP-FPV. Please confiem ASAP. Cheers Tony
TonyRe is offline Find More Posts by TonyRe