HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 24, 2011, 07:23 AM
Fakenham, Norfolk, UK
Joined Aug 2006
6 Posts
Question
kk blackboard yaw gyro not working!? Help needed.

I have built a tricopter using a kkmulticopter blackboard but I cannot get any response from the yaw gyro. I have made a video showing the issue;

kkmulticopter v5.5 blackboard yaw gyro not working. (1 min 20 sec)

As you can see, Tx inputs and roll/pitch gyros are responding as they should.

The yaw servo moves to the left without any input but there is no movement when i move the copter in the yaw axis.

All pots are set to 50%.

I have noticed one of the capacitors next to the yaw gyro is slighty darker than the other. Top right. The colour difference is greater than the photo shows.

Could the problem be that the capacitor has burnt out/faulty.

Any help would be appreciated.

Damien
rash is offline Find More Posts by rash
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 24, 2011, 07:37 AM
Joined Feb 2011
466 Posts
tryed to invert the gyro ?
V_Okto is offline Find More Posts by V_Okto
Old Jul 24, 2011, 08:01 AM
Fakenham, Norfolk, UK
Joined Aug 2006
6 Posts
Just tried inverting the gyro but has not helped (motor slowly moves to the right now without any input)
Old Jul 24, 2011, 10:29 AM
United States, TX, Waxahachie
Joined Jun 2011
440 Posts
carefully check all solder joints to atmel and gyro board, more likely open than burned.
OLDTOM is offline Find More Posts by OLDTOM
Old Jul 24, 2011, 03:51 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Nov 2008
2,015 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rash View Post
I have built a tricopter using a kkmulticopter blackboard but I cannot get any response from the yaw gyro. I have made a video showing the issue;
<snip>
Could the problem be that the capacitor has burnt out/faulty.

Any help would be appreciated.

Damien
Suggest you do one of the following:
  • measure the gyro output voltages of with respect to ground - should be ~1.35V
  • if you have a Sparkfun Serial LCD, load up XXcontroller V1.4 (or 1.5) firmware and use the diagnostics in it to check gyro status.
Mike
Mike Barton is offline Find More Posts by Mike Barton
Old Jul 30, 2011, 06:22 AM
Fakenham, Norfolk, UK
Joined Aug 2006
6 Posts
Now working, Woo!!

I checked the voltage coming from the yaw gyro board. There was no reading from the middle joint coming from the gyro board (is that the ground you were referring to Mike).
I could not see any bad solder joints, apart from, maybe, the top joint at R1 on the photo above. I added a little extra solder to that joint and also heated the the middle joint to reset it.
I now get ~1.35v from the middle joint and the gyro moves the servo when i move the tricopter on the yaw axis.

Next; Need to remount KKboard on tricopter and check every thing is still working.

Many thanks

Damien
Old Jul 30, 2011, 08:25 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Nov 2008
2,015 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rash View Post
Now working, Woo!!

I checked the voltage coming from the yaw gyro board. There was no reading from the middle joint coming from the gyro board (is that the ground you were referring to Mike).
I could not see any bad solder joints, apart from, maybe, the top joint at R1 on the photo above. I added a little extra solder to that joint and also heated the the middle joint to reset it.
I now get ~1.35v from the middle joint and the gyro moves the servo when i move the tricopter on the yaw axis.

Next; Need to remount KKboard on tricopter and check every thing is still working.

Many thanks

Damien
Yes, the middle connection is the gyro reading voltage, so now you have correct voltage out, it will certainly help

If you were using either XXcontroller V1.4 or V1.5 firmwares, you would easily be able to identify the problem (it would actually flag an error @ startup) in the Diagnostics

Glad things are looking alot better
Mike Barton is offline Find More Posts by Mike Barton
Old Jul 30, 2011, 09:00 AM
Joined Jun 2011
440 Posts
Good work, now you can smile.....
Old Oct 26, 2011, 06:01 PM
Joined Nov 2007
40 Posts
I have all the same syptoms but I read voltages on all pins of the gyro as expected. Any other ideas? I am using the board from multircshop.com
Thanks
MJER is offline Find More Posts by MJER
Old Oct 26, 2011, 06:18 PM
Joined Jun 2011
440 Posts
Again, check all conections and solder joints including those that goto the atmel and the m1-6 pins the circuit can be lost at any point, if you have a tri test by useing m5, it is a mirror of m4 an would tell you that the problem is between atmel and m4......

Old Oct 26, 2011, 06:26 PM
Joined Nov 2007
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDTOM View Post
Again, check all conections and solder joints including those that goto the atmel and the m1-6 pins the circuit can be lost at any point, if you have a tri test by useing m5, it is a mirror of m4 an would tell you that the problem is between atmel and m4......

sorry for the newbi questions but what is atmel and what do you mean by M5 being the mirror of M4?
Thanks
Old Oct 26, 2011, 07:54 PM
Joined Jun 2011
440 Posts
Atmel is the microprocessor, m4 is where you would normaly plug in your sevro for a tri, m5 can be used to plug in you servo but it will operate the servo in the opposite direction, M1,m2,m3,m4,m5,m6, are labeled on the board and are used to connect the esc's and/or servos....

Also check, if you havent already, plug your servo directly into the rx rudder channel and see if it works with out going through the kk board.
Last edited by OLDTOM; Oct 26, 2011 at 08:06 PM.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 06:40 AM
Joined Nov 2007
40 Posts
Thanks for the advise. I guess I'll try to find the data shete for the processessor and figure out the pins. It is hard to do but I would like to see if the gyro is broken. I assume I can do this by watching Vout as I rotate the board about the yaw axis. I should see Vout change correct? Any idea what range I should be looking for?
I have a new board on order but it is such a slow boat from china
Old Oct 28, 2011, 06:48 AM
Joined Jun 2011
440 Posts
Yes, read Mike Barton's post above.....