HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 01, 2011, 05:53 AM
no no no, a music gig
Pleasant Valley Modelport
Joined Sep 2006
8,604 Posts
Recheck the link, it showes a small electric motor.
Chophop is online now Find More Posts by Chophop
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 02, 2011, 02:31 AM
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,257 Posts
That is odd, the data base must have changed the number. Fixed link.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1152836
Roto Rob is online now Find More Posts by Roto Rob
Old Nov 13, 2011, 12:18 PM
T-REX 250 -450-500-600-700G
ITALY, PAVIA
Joined Mar 2009
344 Posts
Test tt56 gasser upgrade

to day the first run!
still need some carburetor tuning to reach max power before flying.
Gasoline with 5% oil.
Seven minutes only 125 cc gasoline - RPM 8000-12000.
Cylinder heat temperature to 60 C.
I-FELN is offline Find More Posts by I-FELN
Old Nov 13, 2011, 08:47 PM
no no no, a music gig
Joined Sep 2006
8,604 Posts
Great news. Thanks for posting. I hope it has lots of power for 3D. The cylinder head temperature seems low, I would look for 300 -350*F, maybe, it is that way on large 40 hp 2 cycle motors. Be sure to post any video.

I am looking at RJX, they seemed to have some problems a few years ago, the few threads I found say they are improving and are cooperating with customers on any quality issue.

It looks very tight, I might look at some way to make a larger frame, boom, and longer scale type blades. Maybe even a Hughes 500D that uses the fuselage as part of the frame. Getting large enough to do that.

Looks like something near 1.3 minutes per oz of gasoline. I'll take that.

edit : On the second run it was about .6 oz/minute.
Last edited by Chophop; Nov 15, 2011 at 07:24 AM.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 03:48 AM
ITALY, PAVIA
Joined Mar 2009
344 Posts
HI Chophop,
YEAH my low head temperature cause low RPM for motor break-in.
My friend with TT53 gasser has in flight 100C CHT and for OS90 gasser 120C CHT.
BY Now he has reached 20 to 30 hours fly time in gasser conversion. He has also dismantled the motors to check them and all seem in order.
He told me the output power of these motors is similar to a glow with 10% nitro and usefull for some soft 3D.
I'm not interested to because I prefer scale Helicopter without smoke and oil on the fuselage or parts.
Very low fuel cost, easy to prepare and consumption is another factor to fill me with enthusiasm about
I'm already flying with a REX 700 converted to gasser with a Zenoah 230RC, nice flying but of course very heavy.
Glow in gasser is for me the best solution to spare weight and also money.
Last edited by I-FELN; Nov 14, 2011 at 03:54 AM.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 10:57 AM
no no no, a music gig
Joined Sep 2006
8,604 Posts
Don't forget that for times you may want extra power, you may be able to use a 2 cycle racing motorcycle additive to boost horsepower. I do not know what effect it would have on the heli motor or plastic parts if spray gets on them.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 06:44 PM
ITALY, PAVIA
Joined Mar 2009
344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chophop View Post
Don't forget that for times you may want extra power, you may be able to use a 2 cycle racing motorcycle additive to boost horsepower. I do not know what effect it would have on the heli motor or plastic parts if spray gets on them.
We are adding only oil for motorcycle, no more power, only lubricant: MOTUL 800. As I said before when the motor was opened to inspect and check no moisture present, no parts was bitten, only well lubricated; seem better used than with corrosive glow fuel . Output of clear smoke and few oil from muffler.
Last edited by I-FELN; Nov 14, 2011 at 07:03 PM.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 11:48 AM
Complete RC Idiot Savant
The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,737 Posts
Hi I-FELN,

what did you do to get rid of any interference with the RC equipment?

I have currently built an RCeLX ignition on a fourstroke OS 90 in my Bell 47G, but I have very big problems with radio interference, that almost cost me the helicopter

Still not yet found time to put ferrite rings in all the wiring, but I am slightly worried.
I used to have the receiver in the front, but since the ignition unit and battery are there now, I relocated the receiver to aft of the mechanics.

I suspect that HF pick-up is happening in either the power lead from receiver battery to receiver, or pick up is happening in the servo leads, as some of them are only 4 inces away from the spark plug lead.

Any info on this would be highly appreciated.

Brgds, Bert
Brutus1967 is offline Find More Posts by Brutus1967
Old Nov 15, 2011, 10:09 PM
no no no, a music gig
Joined Sep 2006
8,604 Posts
If you do not have a quality 2.4ghz radio on a large heli, then it is best that you forget the efforts to fix FM or PCM glitches. They will only keep showing up in some form.
I am scratching my chin over the question of would a Turnigy 9X radio be a good budget alternative. If you ask about any brand of radio, you will get bad talk of them.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 02:28 AM
ITALY, PAVIA
Joined Mar 2009
344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chophop View Post
If you do not have a quality 2.4ghz radio on a large heli, then it is best that you forget the efforts to fix FM or PCM glitches. They will only keep showing up in some form.
I am scratching my chin over the question of would a Turnigy 9X radio be a good budget alternative. If you ask about any brand of radio, you will get bad talk of them.
QUOTE.

I use a SPEKTRUM DX8 no interference from CDI.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 04:55 AM
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus1967 View Post
-----I suspect that HF pick-up is happening in either the power lead from receiver battery to receiver, or pick up is happening in the servo leads, as some of them are only 4 inces away from the spark plug lead.-----
I have the onboard tachometer from RCexl. It can also be used to indicate the ignition interference. Instructions included in its manual. I try to separate the ignition wires as far from any other as possible. And use a separate battery for the ignition.
Roto Rob is online now Find More Posts by Roto Rob
Last edited by Roto Rob; Nov 16, 2011 at 02:06 PM.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 05:25 AM
no no no, a music gig
Joined Sep 2006
8,604 Posts
Is it the old style radio ? I wouldn't try to use it with a spark ignition system. It's a situation where as crash could cost more than a radio. And someone could get one big clubbing.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 07:21 AM
Complete RC Idiot Savant
The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,737 Posts
I am using a Futaba FC-28, 35 MHz in PCM mode.

So far this set has not shown any interference in combination with a Zenoah 23 cc Gasser, in 2 different helicopters. one of which the receiver is located at approx 5 inches from the engine flywheel, so far without a single glitch in over 3 years of flying. The other one the receiver is located within 4 inches of the spark plug, uses extended servo wires that pass close to the sparkplug (with ferrite rings, admittedly) and this helicopter has not had any radio glitches in 6 years.

My Ignition system is completely separated electrically from the radio (separate batteries, no remote operated ignition killswitch).

The receiver is located aft ofthe mechanics, the ignition unit, ignition battery and receiver battery in the front under the canopy floor. The battery lead to the receiver is passing the ignition unit at approx 2 inch distance

The Helicopter is a Vario Bell 47 G, and thus has a tubular steel frame.
Recently I have "grounded" the engine to the steel frame, but I have not yet had the opportunity to test with this.

For any info or experiences with "old style" radio equipment I would be grateful. I am not intending to buy another radio set. It should be possible to use this, as ignition systems are older than 2.4 GHz sets....
Just need to figure out, how....

Brgds, Bert
Brutus1967 is offline Find More Posts by Brutus1967
Old Nov 17, 2011, 07:35 AM
no no no, a music gig
Joined Sep 2006
8,604 Posts
I didn't click on servo leads 4 inches from ignition wires. A braided wire shield over the spark plug wire may help if not alredy there. You would have to be able to remove the spark plug boot to slip it over. Then the shield needs to be grounded to the motor. Keep the grounding wire as short as possible, Find a screw to attach it as close to the base of the wire shield as you can.

Wire braid can be stripped off of TV coax wire with some work. For in case it can't be found.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 07:59 AM
Build & Fly like 2days ur last
USA, IL, Wheeling
Joined Jun 2006
315 Posts
i have been following this as i want to convert an old os 50 hyper. i have a question for you.

how did you figure out the placement of the magnet for the spark. what is the timing for the engine.

crazy
crazy3dpilot is offline Find More Posts by crazy3dpilot