HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 23, 2011, 02:22 PM
United Kingdom, England, Harwich
Joined Jul 2011
107 Posts
Help!
1st plane

Hi all,

I am looking for some advice, i am looking to buy my 1st rc plane, i have previously owned 6ch helis, i wasnt an awesome pilot but i managed.

I live by the coast and there is always a wind, this I believe rules out some of the smaller and slower planes, i was looking at one of the following 3.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-RC-EP-...item3cb8eb2666

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-RC-EP-...#ht_3061wt_922

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-RC-EP-...item4159d04ea7

These are the bigger 70mm edf units, i have heard about the 64mm versions not being too Great, i need some wisdom.

Cheers guys
Herishi is offline Find More Posts by Herishi
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 23, 2011, 03:18 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,085 Posts
Those are a little slow ... can you find something faster

JMO .... get a high wing trainer like the Super Cub LP.
immelguy is offline Find More Posts by immelguy
Old Jul 23, 2011, 03:21 PM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by immelguy View Post
Those are a little slow ... can you find something faster

JMO .... get a high wing trainer like the Super Cub LP.
Agreed. Don't even think about an EDF as a first plane.
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
Old Jul 23, 2011, 03:25 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,591 Posts
Also the vendor is having a laugh:

Quote:
Inexpensive but high quality

Perfect for first time flying EDF jets

It may be easier to fly than propeller planes

Extremely durable! Constructed of high quality durable EPO foam

Very easy to fly and control

Super stable for beginners

Full aerobatic characteristics; inside loops, outside loops, axial rolls, inverted flight, knife edge, stall turns, hammerheads, and spins are possible

Super High Speed, Flying Speed at 70mph+!!!

Very easy to hand launch

Best choice for Beginner - Advanced pilots
I can tell by reading the product description, not to mention the feedback, that that vendor is rubbish.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Gerry__; Jul 23, 2011 at 04:01 PM.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 06:48 PM
Cedar Rapids, IA
Joined Aug 2010
831 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herishi View Post
... I live by the coast and there is always a wind ...
It there truly always is a wind, you will face extra challenges to learn RC.

You may want to get a good simulator and spend some real time mastering the planes. It won't eliminate the need to learn on a "trainer" but will probably help a lot. Visit the simulator forum on RCGroups for a discussion.

http://www.rcgroups.com/simulators-172/

Don't start with an EDF "jet". Start with a trainer. The Super Cub LP is highly recommended.

BTW... I don't live by a coast, so... I don't know much about your environment. Doesn't the direction of "sea breezes" change each day? From the ocean and then switching to from the land? Is there a time in between each direction switch when it is calm?

If there is... try to train during this time. Once you get some actual experience with a plane, you'll be able to handle some wind better.

You might post your location in your profile. It helps members on RCGroups that know your area advise you on planes and conditions.

Finally, read some threads on RCGroups about why EDF planes are so hard to fly. There are many such threads.
MiddleMarc is offline Find More Posts by MiddleMarc
Old Jul 23, 2011, 06:50 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,258 Posts
Yeah.... Generally when something looks too good to be true, it sort of is.

RC Flying Newbie (3 min 36 sec)
C₄H₁₀ is online now Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Jul 23, 2011, 07:28 PM
Aircraftus Fragmentum
United States, IL, Naperville
Joined Nov 2009
176 Posts
Even considering previous heli experience, I wouldn' suggest an EDF as a first plane any more than I'd suggest an advanced 3D CP heli to someone wishing to learn helis, or a F1 car to someone wishing to learn how to drive.

High-wing trainers with some self-correcting abilities and slower speeds allow learning with higher chances of success. They're not the most elegant; after all, who wants to learn to drive in the econobox when there's a perfectly good F1 car over here

I'd also recommend a good simulator; the time I've spent with mine has helped me tremendously. New ones have very comprehensive weather effects that can be adjusted, wind, gusts, thermals, turbulence, and others.

If you have consistent winds, you may also wish to consider a powered sailplane, such as the Parkzone Radian/Radian Pro, Multiplex Easy Glider Pro. Don't discount all unpowered planes as being slow, lazy, and boring-unpowered 'dynamic soaring' planes have attained some pretty crazy speeds, check this vid:

The Worlds Fastest RC Airplanes Close to 400 mph (3 min 8 sec)
Seeya is offline Find More Posts by Seeya
Old Jul 24, 2011, 08:13 AM
Joined Jul 2011
107 Posts
Thanks

Cheers for tge advice guys, i thought it wasnt the best idea myself getting a jet, what about an at 6 texan? Its not a high wing but its also not a jet, i guess it'll fly a bit slower, i have a simulator on the pc and have a usb controller on order :-)
Old Jul 24, 2011, 10:49 AM
See the Fur Fly
Dayton, OH
Joined Oct 2006
916 Posts
hi OP,

Welcome to the world of plank flying. Your heli experience will help some, but I'm glad to see you have a simulator on order.

I echo what others have said. So while the EDF jets look cool and sexy, they are not an ideal first plane for any person. And actually, the reality is that no airplane is really easy to fly at first...even a HZ Super Cub which is known to be easy.

Wind in you area will make flying any plane more difficult, but if you can, I would suggest perhaps indoor flying with a PZ Ember 2 or a HZ micro Champ RTF (or at dusk and dawn with little wind).

Once you've mastered the basics, then something like a foamie full sized PZ Mustang P-51 would be a nice outdoor plane if you're adventurous.

Then I think the EDF would make a better 3rd plane. I do not have experience with those particular EDF selections you made, but from my experience, the F15 has the best airframe for stability.

Enjoy and cheers!
FNFAL is offline Find More Posts by FNFAL
Last edited by FNFAL; Jul 24, 2011 at 11:31 AM.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 11:01 AM
Joined Jul 2011
107 Posts
getting close

Ok Thanks for all the advice guys, I'm getting close to knowing what I'm going to get,

the EDF jets are out the window

I'm down to 3

A cessna 182 1.4m wingspan (though the motor seems a little underpowered)
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...#ht_1881wt_905

A Piper Cub (meatier motor but shorter wingspan about 1m)
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...#ht_5345wt_905

and a AT6 Texan (its the cheapest but is a bottom wing)
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...ht_2547wt_1139

I'm guessing the bigger the wing the slower it will fly and the easier to control, will be bigger wing be affected by the wind more?

I think I'll end up with the Cessna but the 800Kv motor is worrying me a little.

Thanks for your insight guys

Steve
Old Jul 24, 2011, 11:18 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,075 Posts
All beginners think they live in a place with too much wind for the standard trainer - you don't. You can't fly in a lot of wind as a beginner anyway, and the Super Cub can be flown in excessive winds when you have some experience. You're looking at things which are around the same price, but don't have the proven track record, and are being sold by questionable dealers. You're also being duped by marketing speak - don't let that happen.

The kV of the motor has nothing to do with this. It's just a number relating to the speed it turns - has nothing to do with the quality or power level. The Cessna is capable of 250-300 watts. The Piper Cub is only capable of 220 watts before the ESC melts. The Texan is using a 250-300 watt power system. All three are under-powered, and come with lousy batteries which won't deliver the power you need anyway.

Seriously, just get the Super Cub.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=HBZ7300 (spend the extra $20 and get a plane that actually flies)
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Jul 24, 2011, 01:42 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,258 Posts
Everything Jasmine says is good to listen to.

Get a SuperCub or a HobbyZone Champ and train on it until you can put it exactly where you want it, take off and land when and were you choose, and go home with the same number of pieces you came with

Normally I'd like to launch right into an explanation about motor Kv ratings and what it all means in context, but you don't really need to know all that just yet so I'll keep my mouth shut
C₄H₁₀ is online now Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Jul 24, 2011, 01:49 PM
Joined Jul 2011
107 Posts
Cheers, i know all about kv ratings, i guess it all depends on the blade size and angle of the prop. I couldnt find the ones people were talking about on here in the uk at a reasonable price so i ended up getting the fms cessna mk2.

Cant wait for the kit to arrive now :-)

Thanks for making sure i got a high winged trainer rather than one of the edf jets, looking back i must have been crazy

Steve
Old Jul 24, 2011, 02:52 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herishi View Post
Cheers, i know all about kv ratings, i guess it all depends on the blade size and angle of the prop. I couldnt find the ones people were talking about on here in the uk at a reasonable price so i ended up getting the fms cessna mk2.

Cant wait for the kit to arrive now :-)

Thanks for making sure i got a high winged trainer rather than one of the edf jets, looking back i must have been crazy

Steve
When the Cessna arrives, take it out the box and examine it carefully. Then put it back in the box and get a 3ch trainer: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1370943
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
Old Jul 24, 2011, 02:59 PM
Joined Jul 2011
107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry__ View Post
When the Cessna arrives, take it out the box and examine it carefully. Then put it back in the box and get a 3ch trainer: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1370943
Wow thanks for the super helpful post!

Please only quote if you actually have something helpful to say!
Last edited by Herishi; Jul 26, 2011 at 04:21 AM.