HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 29, 2011, 02:55 PM
<Marty>
United States, KY, Springfield
Joined Jul 2011
1,457 Posts
anybody seen these yet? looks to be same servo...

http://www.iflight-rc.com/Ultra-Micr...ervo-1.8g-.htm
magic_marty is offline Find More Posts by magic_marty
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 30, 2011, 12:08 AM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
5,641 Posts
My guess is that it's a copy but not the same servo.

The HK Orange I am pretty sure is made by PingZheng.

http://www.pz-servos.com/en/products...etail&P_Id=798

They have a different address entirely.

The "2g" servo space is going to be a competitive area with all the little 35mm EDF foamies and micro planes.

So maybe the Chinese manufacturers are now ripping off each other. How quaint.
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_marty View Post
anybody seen these yet? looks to be same servo...

http://www.iflight-rc.com/Ultra-Micr...ervo-1.8g-.htm
jj604 is offline Find More Posts by jj604
Old Oct 30, 2011, 12:12 AM
Ego varius quis.
Wisconsin
Joined Nov 2003
1,917 Posts
[QUOTE=jj604;19734098]My guess is that it's a copy but not the same servo.

/QUOTE]

I don't know how you get this information, but I'm impressed that you do!
Cheesehead is offline Find More Posts by Cheesehead
Old Oct 30, 2011, 12:19 AM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
5,641 Posts
Aw, don't be too impressed. It's basically guesswork based on when the HK Orange was announced, the details of the specs and the wording of them, and what "identical" servos were available anywhere at the time. I made a guess that HK had put in a big OEM order to PZ but specified Orange to differentiate their version since they had gone orange mad with servos at the time.

It could all be pure rubbish - and unless someone from the inside lets on we will probably never know. Trouble with the forums is that people claim to have "inside" knowledge when they know less than my guesswork sometimes. [QUOTE=Cheesehead;19734112]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj604 View Post
My guess is that it's a copy but not the same servo.

/QUOTE]

I don't know how you get this information, but I'm impressed that you do!
Old Oct 30, 2011, 12:47 PM
<Marty>
Joined Jul 2011
1,457 Posts
i was looking for a good substitute for my Walkera Genius and found this thread...the stock servo is near $17.00 each which could get pricey after a while...the weight of the stock servo is right at 2.4 G so i thinking the HK-5320 might be the perfect solution as a replacement plus could save some weight as well...
Old Nov 01, 2011, 06:35 PM
Pilot, Co-pilot, Navagator
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,723 Posts
marty: keep i mind the Hk 282A servo is sold as a '2.2' gram servo, but ready to go weighs in at 2.6g. the 1.7 is more like 2g(or so i have heared).
nemoskull is offline Find More Posts by nemoskull
Old Nov 01, 2011, 09:09 PM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
5,641 Posts
You heared right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemoskull View Post
marty: keep i mind the Hk 282A servo is sold as a '2.2' gram servo, but ready to go weighs in at 2.6g. the 1.7 is more like 2g(or so i have heared).
Old Nov 01, 2011, 09:49 PM
<Marty>
Joined Jul 2011
1,457 Posts
even at 2G it would save near 1.5G weight on the Genius which don't sound like much but on a Heli that weights so little makes a big difference....
Old Nov 07, 2011, 12:39 PM
Ego varius quis.
Wisconsin
Joined Nov 2003
1,917 Posts
Does anyone know the gear ratio on these servos?
Old Nov 07, 2011, 11:21 PM
Oak Ridge, Tennessee
Joined Dec 2007
374 Posts
diet version...

A couple of weekends ago I had a go at making one light as I could get it, below are the results. I meant to post it back then but have been busy and forgot until tonight.

I spent about two hours on it, cleaning off the excess solder, sanding and grinding and making the garolite adapter ring for the motor. On the pinion gear I used a bit of teflon heatshrink to make shaft fit, since the shicoh shaft is smaller.(.023" compared to .027") I sanded down the electronic parts, and thinned the orange casing by scraping at right angles with a razor blade. (to about half)

Was it worth the effort? Well, the F7 3.2mm 30 ohm shicoh is slower and weaker than the 11 ohm 4mm stock motor, you can really see the difference side by side. (I should have made a vid, sorry) Feels like about half the torque than stock- speed is closer to the same though. If I do it again I'll likely use the stock motor, as it is only about 0.12g heavier.

I'm adding some photos of the chips with numbers showing, and of the gearbox and other parts. I bought a few extra of these servos just for the modulus 01 gears, needing them on another project. Ill be flying them in stock form too in the future. I like everything but that bright orange color.

Worth noting too is the very messy gob soldering at the factory- the wires are almost shorted at the board on all three servos I'd had apart. The insulation is melted in spots, and the way it's crammed into the plastic case rubs the wires against each other and the board. If you have one that quits working look there first....
shagrug is offline Find More Posts by shagrug
Last edited by shagrug; Nov 08, 2011 at 12:17 AM.
Old Nov 08, 2011, 12:11 AM
Ego varius quis.
Wisconsin
Joined Nov 2003
1,917 Posts
That's remarkable. Even without the Shicoh swap, it's still just a hair over a gram.

How much do the electronics (pot, motor, pcb) weigh without plastics? Didel gearbox parts might allow for reducing the weight even further.
Old Nov 08, 2011, 12:25 AM
Oak Ridge, Tennessee
Joined Dec 2007
374 Posts
Thanks.... I didn't think to weigh the pot/motor/pcb individually...do recall the power 3 wire input and plug was .3 grams, I cut them off at the case to start. I didn't weigh it again until I was finished.

On the gears, it is a mixture of mod 1 and mod 2 size gears. I think didel just sells mod 2 and bigger. The mod 1's are really tiny. What I was after for my other project was the 9t pinion and a 28t spur that's in there, for my submicro brushless motor project.

It might be possible to swap the steel shafts out (with cf or aluminum tube?) and get some more weight off. A bit more plastic could be trimmed too.
shagrug is offline Find More Posts by shagrug
Last edited by shagrug; Nov 08, 2011 at 12:34 AM.
Old Nov 08, 2011, 03:24 PM
Pilot, Co-pilot, Navagator
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,723 Posts
HOLY CRAPOLA! I 1 GRAM SERVO!!!!
how much did i cost you? the closest servo is the tokio bio wire at 30 dollars.
HOORAY FOR CHINA KNOCK OFFS!!!!
nemoskull is offline Find More Posts by nemoskull
Old Nov 08, 2011, 03:40 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
United States, GA, Buford
Joined Nov 2007
6,435 Posts
There are sub-gram servos. Just expect to pay good money for them.
boredom.is.me is offline Find More Posts by boredom.is.me
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RFD900 Case
Old Nov 08, 2011, 04:28 PM
Ego varius quis.
Wisconsin
Joined Nov 2003
1,917 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredom.is.me View Post
There are sub-gram servos. Just expect to pay good money for them.
I think it's just the Leichty ~0.7g servos, which cost about seventeen times as much.

On a related note, it's theoretically possible to add a feedback loop to one of those DelTang 0.4g actuator receivers. Swap the actuator for a motor and add one of the hall effect sensors used for the milligram brushless setups, and you have yourself a very tiny servo driver.

Incidentally, I bet the above servo would only weigh about 0.7g without the PCB.