HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 23, 2011, 12:48 PM
Clueless Newbie
Joined Jul 2011
20 Posts
Help!
Please Help a Clueless Newbie

I want to start working on RC cars, but I'm not sure where to start.

-Should I start by:
1.) Buying a kit?
2.) Buying a 1:16 or so RTR?
3.) Buying a mini/micro RC?
4.) Taking a bunch of junked stuff and piecing something together?

Also, how do I find the income for buying stuff? My parents don't think that this is a worthwhile investment (considering that I blew $80 on a slot-car set that I don't use). I also don't have an actual job right now. Should I try to convince my parents to give me $100 (how?) or should I get a job of some sort?

Thanks everyone!
randomdoodler is offline Find More Posts by randomdoodler
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 23, 2011, 07:19 PM
Joined Jun 2008
731 Posts
its a extermely expensive hobby
but i would by a kit and build it.....bash it for a couple months then start adding hop ups like bearings,motors and esc's
a typical kit runs about $200
then another $100 for electronics if done cheaply

hop ups are the most expensive in my book cause once you get ur car built you will be happy for a few days then you will find out.....well it could go faster if I buy this....its gonna be stronger if I buy that and so on
then theres repairs and normal part wear

I recommend buying a kit and bearings at the same time
tell us what kinda r/c you want,the terrain you will ride in
your budget and we can help suggest things for you.There are a handful of lower price brands that are worth the effort.
redlined_b16a is offline Find More Posts by redlined_b16a
Old Jul 23, 2011, 09:44 PM
Agressive driver
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Jun 2011
1,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomdoodler View Post
I want to start working on RC cars, but I'm not sure where to start.

-Should I start by:
1.) Buying a kit?
2.) Buying a 1:16 or so RTR?
3.) Buying a mini/micro RC?
4.) Taking a bunch of junked stuff and piecing something together?

Also, how do I find the income for buying stuff? My parents don't think that this is a worthwhile investment (considering that I blew $80 on a slot-car set that I don't use). I also don't have an actual job right now. Should I try to convince my parents to give me $100 (how?) or should I get a job of some sort?

Thanks everyone!
I would recommend buying a RTR car. That will be cheaper. And I know your problem. I am a kid to. I do odd jobs around the house for $$$ to pay for my RC's
zanek is offline Find More Posts by zanek
Old Jul 23, 2011, 10:45 PM
Clueless Newbie
Joined Jul 2011
20 Posts
I want to start small, and go from there. I want to go electric; I'm honestly kind of scared to use nitro cars. I'd love to use an off-road car, but I'll accept a road-based version if it's cheaper. The lower the cost, the better, and I would like to have an initial investment under $100. I haven't found a kit under $300, but I've looked at the Losi Micro-T, and I might look into the super-small RC cars, along the lines of Zip Zaps. I might try buying an ARTR car.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 10:59 PM
Joined Jun 2008
731 Posts
small scale look into a losi micr t,they have diffrent versions.I found the desert truck to be the most fun
redlined_b16a is offline Find More Posts by redlined_b16a
Old Jul 24, 2011, 12:28 AM
bashing on vancouver island
Joined Sep 2008
609 Posts
with a budget of 100 or less, i would look into a used rc. check out local classified ads. thats where you will find people willing to part with quality used rcs for cheep. for instance i bought a used traxxas slash 2wd truck off of an online classified ad for 100 bucks. keep your eyes peeled for a traxxas slash 2wd, rustler, bandit or stampede. you can find the brushed versions for 100 or less fairly often
veggieslinger is offline Find More Posts by veggieslinger
Old Jul 24, 2011, 01:52 PM
Kowalski !.....Options
USA, MI, Hastings
Joined Jan 2007
2,436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggieslinger View Post
with a budget of 100 or less, i would look into a used rc. check out local classified ads. thats where you will find people willing to part with quality used rcs for cheep. for instance i bought a used traxxas slash 2wd truck off of an online classified ad for 100 bucks. keep your eyes peeled for a traxxas slash 2wd, rustler, bandit or stampede. you can find the brushed versions for 100 or less fairly often
This is the route I would go. You will learn as well during all of the maintenance and repair you may need along the way.
mredzadventure is offline Find More Posts by mredzadventure
Old Jul 30, 2011, 10:20 AM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,919 Posts
If you're looking at small scale ones, I would suggest the micro SCT or rally over the micro T. They're just a bit bigger and will handle more varied terrain. The micro T is great, but it's very small and will get hung up on small obstacles.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Jul 30, 2011, 03:48 PM
Mad Basher
Joined Jul 2011
157 Posts
Check out eBay and Craigslist if you have a budget of 100 bucks of less... Some of the stuff is dirt cheap.

I would suggest buying a USED BRUSHED 2WD to start off because some of the 4WDs are tough to handle and are a lot more expensive. Try looking for a Traxxas Stampede, they are very good for newbies. If you want money just do odd jobs around the house and the neighbourhood (Wash cars, mow lawns, vacuum floors, etc.)
PureTen is offline Find More Posts by PureTen
Old Aug 04, 2011, 02:35 PM
Roo
United States, MA, Westfield
Joined Aug 2011
46 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureTen View Post
Check out eBay and Craigslist if you have a budget of 100 bucks of less... Some of the stuff is dirt cheap.

I would suggest buying a USED BRUSHED 2WD to start off because some of the 4WDs are tough to handle and are a lot more expensive. Try looking for a Traxxas Stampede, they are very good for newbies. If you want money just do odd jobs around the house and the neighbourhood (Wash cars, mow lawns, vacuum floors, etc.)
This is probably your best bet to go with, the traxxas stampede is a very good truck and a lot of fun. You should be able to find a cheap one on any of the sites he said above and they will probably come with a least a battery that the original owner had.
Roo3 is offline Find More Posts by Roo3
Old Aug 04, 2011, 07:22 PM
Xenonproject1
Joined Aug 2011
4 Posts
I would start with an RTR. Since you are new to this and would like to plat while learning i assume. I would get the Lighting STR. It is an RTR kind of pricey at about 150 but worth it. If you are interested after this rtr..You need to find a job to feed this hobby..there will always be something to spend money on.

Good luck and have a good one
Xenonproject1 is offline Find More Posts by Xenonproject1
Old Aug 07, 2011, 04:37 PM
Clueless Newbie
Joined Jul 2011
20 Posts
I'm right now torn between a Losi Micro T and and a Losi Micro Highroller. The Micro T is cheaper, but the Highroller looks better, seems to have a higher ground clearance, and actually comes with a wall charger standard - I have no clue why Losi gave the Micro T a AA-based charger. I looked into the Mini-Z line, but the Kyosho USA website says that a Mini-Z RC - without a body - costs more like $150. I also dug a little through Amazon for XMODS cars, but most were less than $30 (toy grade?), except for one that was $150.
What should I take; a Losi Mini T, a Losi Highroller, or do you have something else to recommend? I'm leaning toward getting a mini/micro size...
Old Aug 08, 2011, 06:39 PM
USA, WA, Bonney Lake
Joined Aug 2008
3,416 Posts
it doesn't have more ground clearance, it has a higher chassis. don't go the xmod route, it's just not as good. i have had both an xmod and micro t. i regret the xmod, parts support just isn't as good as it needs to be to be a success.

go larger scale, it is a lot more fun. as to convincing your parents, it's really simple. anything you get at walmart or target, once it breaks it's done, all you can do is throw it out.

with a hobbygrade, like an axial, HPI, or traxxas, when you break you only spend a little bit of money on a replacement part and fix it, and then the fun continues. that and save up for a traxxas rtr, and you will have a lot more fun in the hobby. it's hard to save up, but i'm 15 and half, all my income comes from mowing 2 lawns total, mine and my grandparents. and i've sunk well over a grand in a scaler this year so far. it is possible, it just takes time, you have to have some patience and get the better stuff first. otherwise you'll just waste your time. lipo batteries are the only exception to this rule, and some transmitters/recievers. otherwise save to spend the money up front for good quality stuff from the start, and you will enjoy your truck more in the hobby.
jettrooper02 is offline Find More Posts by jettrooper02
Old Aug 08, 2011, 06:43 PM
Roo
United States, MA, Westfield
Joined Aug 2011
46 Posts
^ +1
Roo3 is offline Find More Posts by Roo3
Old Aug 08, 2011, 07:15 PM
Clueless Newbie
Joined Jul 2011
20 Posts
Because I have no patience at all, I'm going to spring for a Losi Micro Desert Truck, go play around with that, learn the basics of driving/modding/fixing/whatever else, and start saving up so that I can play with bigger/more advanced/more DIY toys.
I kind of have a liking for really small things, so I might stick with micros and minis for a while. But I'll start posting pics once I get the car.
So pumped