to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 19, 2012, 11:47 AM
United Kingdom, England, Nantwich
Joined Jan 2012
255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Some quick notes on the build.

4) The thrust tube butts up to the back of the fan unit it does not go over it. The tube is taped to the housing outside diameter.
Is there a reason not to allow the tube to overlap the unit?
Hixxer is offline Find More Posts by Hixxer
Old Jul 19, 2012, 12:38 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,208 Posts
You would have to remove foam in the fuselage to be able to get the tube to overlap.
The Don is online now Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 20, 2012, 07:18 AM
United Kingdom, England, Nantwich
Joined Jan 2012
255 Posts
Thanks Don, wasnt sure if it was becuase it woul have some weird effect on airflow.

That motor and fan combo I had from you sounds sooooo much smoother than the stock one, I'm looking forward to trying it out this weekend
Thanks for the superb service!
Hixxer is offline Find More Posts by Hixxer
Old Aug 09, 2012, 03:39 AM
Joined May 2010
1,864 Posts
I decided to try edf planes out,,I have a couple of edf planes on their way from HK a vampire 70mm and a 50mm f4f...But then i watched a few videos on this plane and am thinking this in its stock form maybe the best one to learn on first...it seems to fly very well at fast and slow speeds..anyone here have an opinion about this verses ather jets? thanks...PS i also like the dynam meteor which seems almost like a larger version of this...
hate2crash is offline Find More Posts by hate2crash
Old Aug 09, 2012, 05:13 AM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
Well.. The vampire will not feel as an edf. This one though feels abd qcts like q pure edf jet
The vqmpy is more liie trainer

The stinger will keep you on your toes
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Aug 09, 2012, 07:42 PM
Joined May 2010
1,864 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavcon View Post
Well.. The vampire will not feel as an edf. This one though feels abd qcts like q pure edf jet
The vqmpy is more liie trainer

The stinger will keep you on your toes
I am a new pilot of only 4 months flying HK axn and a couple of other trainers...So, this one might be more then i can handle even if i fly it slow in stock config? I thought it might fly similiar to a dynam meteor or a t-45.... I like this model especially the way people say it builds easy..vampire kit will take several hours in comparison...plus i have 4 --1800 3s packs already to fit this one...thanks..
hate2crash is offline Find More Posts by hate2crash
Old Aug 24, 2012, 07:00 AM
Australia, QLD, Rubyanna
Joined Aug 2012
26 Posts
hi Don

Could you please post your watts amps rpm and thrust reading for this setup Don. Auw with what battery too.
I have 2 red, pnp and kit, and a third rtf blue on order as a present for someone. I haven't flown it stock cause the pnp one donated power system to my recent burnt 64mm amx. Pnp now has hk alloy lander fan 4300kv 4s setup, the kit has tgy mg digital 12g servos and a 64 gws unit inrunner which puts out 600-650watts and 1.2kg thrust.
If your readings are awsome with the outrunner combo I'll do a swap and get a motor aswell, can feel the need to make another wicked wemo 50mm jpower.

Thanks heaps for help and services Don, wish I found these forum sites years ago. Cheers Kane.
frogforce is offline Find More Posts by frogforce
Old Aug 24, 2012, 08:27 AM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,208 Posts
Unfortunately I no longer have this plane, I sold it last year so don't recall the weight..The lipo I used was a 4S 2200 Skylipo, probably a 20C or 30C at the time. Watts are typically in the 650 or so range which is about 45 amps but can vary with higher C rated lipos. Thrust I do not measure as it varies greatly with ducting and thrust tubes. I install thrust tubes on my EDF models which reduces static thrust but increases top end speed. So if you tested the same plane with and without the thrust tube installed you would get two different thrust values so it is not an apples to apples comparison.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 24, 2012, 08:13 PM
Australia, QLD, Rubyanna
Joined Aug 2012
26 Posts
thanks Don

Cheers mate, 45a or so at around 650 watts depending on batt c rate and size, very similar figures to this inrunner from arc.
I realize thrust is variable, is end velocity of air speed a better indicator, as different edf's move more volume at different air speeds. Which 64mm fan unit can handle more watts, as with the 50mm wemo setup 400watts is great but others run your setups to 550+ watts, reduced flight time of course amp draw and c rate/size. How high can you go with watts/amps on a 64 fan, not worried about weight/ batt size.
What are the peak no. you have seen/used and flown with useing a 64mm unit. Thanks again, cheers Kane.
frogforce is offline Find More Posts by frogforce
Old Aug 24, 2012, 09:46 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,208 Posts
The 64mm HET 6604 fan I sell will take 1000 watts or more. The Wicked 4000 Plus motor in that fan is about 850 watts on 4s.

Don
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by The Don; Aug 24, 2012 at 09:53 PM.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 02:16 AM
352nd FG Association
United States, GA, Decatur
Joined Mar 2004
4,212 Posts
Has anyone picked theirs up from Value Hobby? Between HK, Hobby Lobby, and Value Hobby, VH is the cheapest. The only thing I see as far as keeping it fairly stock, is that the ESC needs to be changed to a 40amp since on a 2200 3S lipo it seems to pull right at or around 30amps.

Not really looking to hop the thing up just yet, (of course we have to buy them first!), but it seems to be a pretty impressive little EDF.
Moonbeam is online now Find More Posts by Moonbeam
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:12 PM
Australia
Joined Jun 2009
70 Posts
I have been looking at the pictures of this build thread while I am waiting for Don's 4000plus EDF/ESC setup to arrive and have a question.

Don says that you should solder the motor leads to the ESC, but I can't see how you install it after that as the wires run under the foam?

What process do you use the install the solder/joined ESC into the front section of the plane once the fan is mounted in the rear?

Sorry if this is a silly question, but some clarification would be appreciated.

Cheers ;-)
orbit_01 is offline Find More Posts by orbit_01
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:59 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,208 Posts
I had to use bullets connectors on this model.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:40 AM
Australia
Joined Jun 2009
70 Posts
Ok, thanks Don, appreciated :-)
orbit_01 is offline Find More Posts by orbit_01