SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 23, 2011, 10:35 AM
Joined Jan 2011
59 Posts
Discussion
Blade CP Pro 2 Brushless upgrade

So I decided to try out the Blade CP Pro 2, and the maiden flight resulted in a crash. During some mild normal flight, the tail blew out and I lost control. So I decided to pump a whole bunch of money into it and right now, I'm rebuilding it. Turns out I should have just built one from the ground up, because I'm hardly using any stock parts.

Went all aluminum with exception of the landing gear and tail boom. Decided to go brushless the whole way around. Since I've heard good things about the park 370, I just went with that. I also picked up a Medusa Afterburner 12x30mm 4000kv tail motor. The motors will be controlled by a phoenix-10 and a phoenix-25 ESCs. I will go ahead and set the pheonix-10 for NiMh batteries so I don't lose the tail should the voltage drop too low. What I'm wondering is will I have a problem running both ESCs with one 3S pack. I plan on just wiring them both up to one JST connector by splicing the two positives together and splicing the two negatives together.

Anybody think this will be a problem?
airwolf32 is offline Find More Posts by airwolf32
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 23, 2011, 02:59 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
That has a separate gyro, doesn't it? One 3S battery is fine and splicing the current leads is OK too. But, I thought there was some special wiring needed to connect the ESC to the gyro and tail motor.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Jul 23, 2011, 04:52 PM
Berkeley, CA
Joined Nov 2004
1,895 Posts
I have couple Blade CPP with both brushless main and tail motor mod, one fly using 2S and the other using 3S lipo. The JST plugs are rated for 5A, I would use Deans plugs or plugs rated for 12+ A.

BTW, I use CC phoenix10 esc for main and CC TB 9 for tail , I set both esc with no low voltage cutoff. I soldered both esc power lead together.
estarter is offline Find More Posts by estarter
Old Jul 23, 2011, 09:58 PM
Joined Jan 2011
59 Posts
The CP Pro 2 has a a seperate gyro. The esc/mixer is a 2 in 1, so I won't have to worry about adding a gyro. It already has a G110 (or G90, can't remember), so that will be wired between the rudder channel and the ESC.

estarter: how do those thunderbirds work? I actually ordered those planning to use them because they were a cheap solution, but I went on their website later and it said specifically they were NOT for use in heli applications, so I ordered the Phoenix instead. Waiting on them to come in. If the thunderbirds work, I'll use them on my SR when I convert it to BL tail motor.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 12:34 AM
Berkeley, CA
Joined Nov 2004
1,895 Posts
TB works great for tail, you don't need the esc in heli mode for DD tail motor, you want fast reaction time esc. I have read the lastest firmware for CC10 makes the BL motor acts slower than the older version, I haven't tried and verify that since mine was setup more than a year ago.

I did the BL tail for Blade SR also, link: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=4250
Old Aug 07, 2011, 04:54 PM
Joined Jan 2011
59 Posts
Okay, so I went ahead and used the Phoenix ESCs (10 for tail, 25 for main), got everything put together. The problem I'm having is that once the main rotor begins to get to speed and the bird starts to lift off the ground, the tail begins wagging out of control. I have tried some different settings using the castle link software, but have been unsuccessful. I set everything to "high", thinking that the tail motor just wasn't spinning up fast enough to keep up with the gyro, but that didn't seem to help much, as I'm still having the same problem. I've tried tuning the gyro with no avail.

Does anybody have any experience with this? Could the problem be that I'm using the stock prop for the tail? should I look into getting a different prop? I will post the castle settings later on when I get the bird back on the bench.

Thanks.

Edit: Initially, I used the Phoenix-10 in stock form, with no programming. I had the problem as stated above. Once I used the Castle Link, I switched the type to "heli" and began testing from there. If I left the stock heli settings, the tail spun up WAY too slowly, so that's when I set everything to "high" and had the same problems as with the airplane settings. The tail does fine until it begins to get enough lift to get off the ground. On another note, if I tune the gyro to be more sensitive, the tail begins to spin up and won't cut off unless I give slight left rudder.
Old Aug 08, 2011, 12:26 AM
Berkeley, CA
Joined Nov 2004
1,895 Posts
airwolf32

These 2 links has the details how I get the BL tail motor working:

http://www.rchelicoptertown.com/foru...ead.php?t=2717
http://www.rchelicoptertown.com/foru...ead.php?t=2014
Old Aug 08, 2011, 05:37 AM
Joined Jul 2011
1,389 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airwolf32 View Post
Okay, so I went ahead and used the Phoenix ESCs (10 for tail, 25 for main), got everything put together. The problem I'm having is that once the main rotor begins to get to speed and the bird starts to lift off the ground, the tail begins wagging out of control. I have tried some different settings using the castle link software, but have been unsuccessful. I set everything to "high", thinking that the tail motor just wasn't spinning up fast enough to keep up with the gyro, but that didn't seem to help much, as I'm still having the same problem. I've tried tuning the gyro with no avail.

Does anybody have any experience with this? Could the problem be that I'm using the stock prop for the tail? should I look into getting a different prop? I will post the castle settings later on when I get the bird back on the bench.

Thanks.

Edit: Initially, I used the Phoenix-10 in stock form, with no programming. I had the problem as stated above. Once I used the Castle Link, I switched the type to "heli" and began testing from there. If I left the stock heli settings, the tail spun up WAY too slowly, so that's when I set everything to "high" and had the same problems as with the airplane settings. The tail does fine until it begins to get enough lift to get off the ground. On another note, if I tune the gyro to be more sensitive, the tail begins to spin up and won't cut off unless I give slight left rudder.
deleted
wlee1017 is offline Find More Posts by wlee1017
Last edited by wlee1017; Aug 08, 2011 at 07:13 AM. Reason: deleted...wlee
Old Aug 08, 2011, 01:39 PM
Joined Jan 2011
59 Posts
Okay, thanks estarter, I will read through.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 05:43 PM
Joined Apr 2011
2 Posts
Cp Pro2

Hallo,

Trying to go brushless all the way round too !!! (with Turnigy components)

Keep following this thread since beginning, but i do not have competence about wiring the new config.

Can you post some pictures or scheme for newbie ?

Thanks in advance.
elipegua is offline Find More Posts by elipegua
Old Aug 19, 2011, 01:23 PM
Joined Jan 2011
59 Posts
I will try to get some pictures up soon. I don't have any of the conversion, but I can take pictures of the final product so you can see. Don't know if I'd follow my setup tho, since right now, it's not working right.

All the components function, but the tail wag gets out of control before I can even get the bird off the ground. I need to to some more programming/testing on the tail ESC to see if I can eliminate the wag some.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 02:13 PM
New Jersey
Joined Sep 2009
1,638 Posts
You may want to place a microdeans plug set (male+female) along the wiring from the battery to the tail ESC, so that you can program each ESC separately any time it may be needed.
DMala is offline Find More Posts by DMala
Old Aug 21, 2011, 10:45 PM
Berkeley, CA
Joined Nov 2004
1,895 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elipegua View Post
Hallo,

Trying to go brushless all the way round too !!! (with Turnigy components)

Keep following this thread since beginning, but i do not have competence about wiring the new config.

Can you post some pictures or scheme for newbie ?

Thanks in advance.
Here's how I wire the BL tail esc in my Blade SR:
Old Aug 24, 2011, 10:00 AM
Joined Apr 2011
2 Posts
Thanks estarter. Now I've got it. Will update when done it. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarter View Post
Here's how I wire the BL tail esc in my Blade SR:
elipegua is offline Find More Posts by elipegua