HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 03, 2003, 06:04 PM
ProBro #388
United States, IN, Griffith
Joined Apr 2003
199 Posts
Why I'm done with the LHS

I need to vent, so here we go...
There are three hobby stores near to where I live. One has employees so rude you feel like a jerk for making them get up off their butt to get you a part, and the owner huffs if you have a question that requires any amount of research.
The next one sells planes and cars, but again the employees are rude or clueless, unless you are a car guy.
The main one I was going to really ticked me off. I wanted a radio for a heli I just got from a friend of mine. He crashed it and didn't want it, so I am helping him restore his 60 ElCamino, and he gave me the heli as payment. It's not messed up that bad, a Raptor 30V2, with a Futaba 501 gyro with a digital tail servo. Needs a tail boom and main blades. Well, it has a Futaba Skysport radio. I wanted one with mixing, namely the Hitec Eclipse7 with a spectra module, so I could run all my planes off of it, too. Well, he had to order that, but he had a Futaba 6XH in stock, and it would do it all for less money.
No, it doesn't do it all. No throttle curve, no tail curve, no pitch curve. I could set it up for inverted hover, but it's a pain in the butt. I wanted a radio for 3D, stuck with this one now. It is a good radio for the planes, but I need crystals to get them all on the same channel. I went back and asked him to take it back, because he said it had five point curves and I could do 3D with it, and I got "no returns on electronic parts."
This is after he sold me a Morris Hobbies kit that was way above my head. Last year, I told him I wanted to try a build. He sold me the morris kit as my first kit. This kit had been there for years, I actually remember it from his last location about three years ago. When I got home, the wood was not only warped and swollen, but it was missing parts and some of the wood had pinholes in it. Somebody had started this kit, because the wood with the holes was in the first three steps, and the piece that was split was one that came pre- cut.
After getting no satisfaction from him, I called Morris Hobbies. Even though this was an old kit, Debbie was very helpful. They got everything straight for me, and I found out why the directions were so sparce. This kit was geared toward an advanced builder. The plane turned out kind of crappy, but I flew it anyway, because even though it was crap, it was my crap.
I could go on about problems I've had, but the bottom line is, whenever I had an issue, there was no help around here. However, the people who made the parts or kits, or the online stores, all were very helpful, be it Ace hobbies, HeliHobby, Morris, even Tower.
I have heard the owners of these 3 stores complain about losing business to the internet, the prices are so low, yadda yadda yadda. It's not that. It's taking care of me and making my problem into a non- issue. If they solve my problem, and they build and sell the product, or can hook me up with the builder, then why do I need you?
I don't. Have a nice day.
funkyflyer is offline Find More Posts by funkyflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 04, 2003, 03:36 AM
North-East England
Joined Mar 2002
3,397 Posts
I hope you sent them a copy of this!

Tony
Tony Oliver is offline Find More Posts by Tony Oliver
Old Sep 14, 2003, 12:02 AM
Function Over Form
Connecticut
Joined Feb 2000
1,043 Posts
Your LHS's just plain suck. My good LHS would please you very much.
BillH is offline Find More Posts by BillH
Old Sep 14, 2003, 12:20 AM
Administrator
United States, OR, Corvallis
Joined Nov 1998
5,343 Posts
I have the best solution for bad service, and it is pretty clever if I do say so myself.

Just go to the guy who gives the worst service and tell him that you always go to him because you can't stand how the other guys treat you.

Watch what happens after that. Everytime you go in the guy will be your buddy.

Well, it worked for me, but I won't say where!

Jim
jbourke is offline Find More Posts by jbourke
Administrator
Old Sep 14, 2003, 12:28 AM
Boise Gowen Fld, Idaho, United States
Joined Feb 2003
618 Posts
I am with u funkyflyer. There are 2 LHS here one u can never get any help since no one flys there and it seems like every part I need needs to be ordered which then takes 3 weeks or more. The longest wait was 5 weeks.
Most of my orders online take 3 days to arrive and if I order from Japan it takes 6 days. Where are u going to order from ?

The second LHS has a great selection of RC planes and the staff are knowledgeable. The problem is the prices and the owner.
The first time I was in there a customer went to pay with a check ( I think the check was for $125). The owner refused to take the check because the customer did not have 2 forms of photo ID. The store was pretty busy for a small hobby store and everyone in there heard what was going on since the owner is so loud and obnoxious. The poor dude walked out the store and I hope he never returned. This small hobby shop has the potential to be one of the greatest LHS in the northwest just to bad the owner has no clue.
fixwingagain is offline Find More Posts by fixwingagain
Old Sep 14, 2003, 06:53 AM
Logan's Dad
Fresno, CA
Joined Mar 2002
161 Posts
lhs

I agree...my local hobby shop sucks too....they had me waiting at the counter for almost an hour while i tried to order a 555 receiver...money in hand pre-order job...i finally gave up and ordered it online....luckily, i found a great hobby store in a town a quarter the size of my burg about 50 miles away....it's well worth the trip for excellent service
rb765 is offline Find More Posts by rb765
Old Sep 14, 2003, 09:40 AM
Proud Pro Bro # 13
Houston, TX
Joined Jun 2003
1,762 Posts
well after reading this thread, I am really glad we have some nice LHS in Houston. I also try to support them as much as I can, but have to admit to go online sometimes to save even mor $$.

Ulf
Ulf Rieder is offline Find More Posts by Ulf Rieder
Old Sep 18, 2003, 10:51 PM
www.RCeXpressions.com
Tulsa, OK
Joined Jun 2003
263 Posts
We have 3, one bad, one OK, one Great! Great one sells at internet prices, orders ANYTHING I ask for (even gets extra to keep in stock) He has been good to me, and I go there first, even though it's the farthest away. LHS must be service oriented, or they wont make it!

Gordo
gordo-plast is offline Find More Posts by gordo-plast
Old Sep 19, 2003, 09:38 AM
89" Kool Aid drinker.
Ventura, California
Joined Dec 2001
3,132 Posts
Quote:
LHS must be service oriented, or they wont make it!
Hear! Hear! I am very lucky with the locally run shop. There is a Hobby Peeps here that I go to on the way home from work, but, for the big purchases, I go to the privately owned shop that my dad started me going to back when I didn't know anything. Great service, and he matches pricing.

Mike
Smash McCrash is online now Find More Posts by Smash McCrash
Old Sep 20, 2003, 05:53 PM
Right Honorable Member
Chicago Midway, Illinois, United States
Joined Jul 2003
517 Posts
I know the shop you are complaining the most about.

Would you PM the names of the other two?
flatfour is offline Find More Posts by flatfour
Old Jul 16, 2008, 04:32 AM
Flying like a brick
Cloud Nine
Joined Feb 2008
405 Posts
well i have 2 LHS's and they both suck

one has reasonable prices but is owned by a snob

and the other has awesome service but crap prices
Dizza 212 is offline Find More Posts by Dizza 212
Old Jul 16, 2008, 09:16 AM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbourke
I have the best solution for bad service, and it is pretty clever if I do say so myself.

Just go to the guy who gives the worst service and tell him that you always go to him because you can't stand how the other guys treat you.

Watch what happens after that. Everytime you go in the guy will be your buddy.

Well, it worked for me, but I won't say where!

Jim
Jim,

Psychology well applied Jim.

Zor
Zor is offline Find More Posts by Zor
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 16, 2008, 09:44 AM
Glendale, AZ
Joined Dec 2007
79 Posts
Thread brought back from the dead!
LufthansaCFI is offline Find More Posts by LufthansaCFI
Old Jul 16, 2008, 11:01 AM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LufthansaCFI
Thread brought back from the dead!
Hello LufthansaCFI,

Thanks for telling us "brought back from the dead".

You thought you should tell us to make sure we knew.

The thread was brought back from the dead by "dizza212".

When do you consider that a thread "is dead" ?
How many days, weeks or years?

Reply to the question ? ? ?

I would really like to follow your advice.

Zor
Zor is offline Find More Posts by Zor
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 16, 2008, 11:22 AM
Glendale, AZ
Joined Dec 2007
79 Posts
I see in alot of your responses that you take things so personally. What I said was joking that such an old thread would somehow make its way back to front page.
LufthansaCFI is offline Find More Posts by LufthansaCFI