HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by minivation, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 02:29 AM
Meh close enough.
United States, TX, Longview
Joined Dec 2010
558 Posts
Rant
RCGroups Flooded with Spammers and Advertisers!

I saw a quickly increasing number of "Reports to Moderators" recently. At an average, I am reporting 1 user per day for making a spam account. There was one advertising sunglasses, then the next was about other toys, then one just a minute ago was about "digital equipment".

I am somewhat feeling like a police officer coming across these spammers. I am in no way wanting to become the "patrolman of the forums" but I can't help but to report these kind of "users". No, I'm not a long-time member yet, but I want this place to be a forum, not a billboard.
minivation is offline Find More Posts by minivation
Old Jul 23, 2011, 02:33 AM
Occasional useful idiot...
Joined Nov 2009
1,395 Posts
As do we all.

Don't feel concerned about reporting spam, if it wasn't dealt with then the place would be over run with it.
Jonathan Bradbury is offline Find More Posts by Jonathan Bradbury
Old Jul 23, 2011, 07:32 AM
Debary, Fl.
Joined Oct 2007
2,312 Posts
Oh.. KEEP IT UP! I have no soft spot for spammers either.
Pudknocker71 is offline Find More Posts by Pudknocker71
Old Jul 23, 2011, 03:09 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,374 Posts
I admin a board and about all that consists of is deleting spam. As many as 25 a day on a forum with only 20 subforums, the latest revision and the question-type authenticator that can't be botted.

This means, pathetically, that there are live people with nothing better to do than plant spam. Unlike my forum where I can read every post every day, this forum is too sprawling for the staff to do that. While few of us wish to be forum police, we're doing a service to all users to report spam so that it can be deleted and the spammer blocked.
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Old Jul 23, 2011, 07:05 PM
Meh close enough.
United States, TX, Longview
Joined Dec 2010
558 Posts
Quote:
This means, pathetically, that there are live people with nothing better to do than plant spam.
Exactly. I just reported yet another "Chinese Store" advertiser, and by looking at his "goo.gl/xDTqU" site, I instantly recognize that it has been used by several previous spam accounts - leading me to think that this may be the same person over and over or just the company hiring workers to do so.
minivation is offline Find More Posts by minivation
Last edited by minivation; Jul 23, 2011 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Added quote
Old Jul 23, 2011, 08:13 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,374 Posts
OBTW, 'blocks' are notorious for not working very well.
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Old Jul 24, 2011, 10:19 AM
Occasional useful idiot...
Joined Nov 2009
1,395 Posts
Here is a link to the Bit Bucket.

This is where the spammers posts end up. Plenty in there at the moment.

Always report spam. Otherwise all the stuff in the Bit Bucket would be on the main boards.
Jonathan Bradbury is offline Find More Posts by Jonathan Bradbury
Old Jul 31, 2011, 03:12 AM
dont play with rc anymore
United States, MO, St Joseph
Joined Feb 2005
1,249 Posts
My report button is almost worn out...where do I get a new one?
micronut is offline Find More Posts by micronut
Old Aug 04, 2011, 04:23 PM
Expo is built into my thumbs
USA, ID, Niter
Joined Jul 2008
4,476 Posts
I spent 5 years as a mod on a fairly large computer hardware review site and keeping spammers out was a non stop job. There was days when I would have to nuke 30+ posts in a thirty minute period of time. The worst ones are the spam bots. A person signs up for the account then the bot comes back at a later time and starts spamming every sub forum. Those drove me crazy with 10+ posts a minute showing up.
Hance is offline Find More Posts by Hance