HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 15, 2011, 08:49 AM
United States, NJ, Mt Holly
Joined Mar 2009
174 Posts
Organizing a new RC club through your school is a great way to go. Your biggest challenge is probably going to be getting enough interest to get a teacher involved as a sponsor of the club. If you can do that your group is more likely to be recognized as legitimate and you will likey get more support from the LHS and even some online retailers.

If you can, try to get access to hold indoor flying sessions in the school gym. You can get the word out through the LHS and can easily charge a $5 landing fee. The school club near me is well funded by these events. Every week they get anywhere from a dozen up to 30+ pilots to attend. The LHS also attends and brings some micro size aircraft and lots of parts (for sale) and provides a small percentage back to the club.

Good luck
Sea Monkey is offline Find More Posts by Sea Monkey
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 29, 2011, 12:31 PM
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Jul 2011
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Monkey View Post
Organizing a new RC club through your school is a great way to go. Your biggest challenge is probably going to be getting enough interest to get a teacher involved as a sponsor of the club. If you can do that your group is more likely to be recognized as legitimate and you will likey get more support from the LHS and even some online retailers.

If you can, try to get access to hold indoor flying sessions in the school gym. You can get the word out through the LHS and can easily charge a $5 landing fee. The school club near me is well funded by these events. Every week they get anywhere from a dozen up to 30+ pilots to attend. The LHS also attends and brings some micro size aircraft and lots of parts (for sale) and provides a small percentage back to the club.

Good luck
yeah im still trying to see if any teacher can do it. still looking. any tips?
RCSUPERCARZ is offline Find More Posts by RCSUPERCARZ
Old Nov 01, 2011, 05:22 PM
Agressive driver
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Jun 2011
1,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCSUPERCARZ View Post
Hey everybody im trying to start a rc plane club at my school but i need help from you guys. But before i jump into things, her is a little bit of what im planning to do and my background, so here it is: I can get a large feild to fly but before flying i want to get everybody flying(everybody like 4-10 people) on a simulator, i have the disk,but only one controller ). and a little background of me: My name is Sean, i have been into rc planes for 2-2 1/2 years and rc cars for 1 year. thats really it for rc.

On to the good stuff! Here is what i want to do: get people to join and get them start on a sim for 2+ weeks and the make small foam gliders. after that hopefully we have a sponsor and we fly planes from HK or a LHS. after 4-6 weeks we move on to more aerobatic or scratch built planes that they made.

Now here is where you guys come in i need donations of A: parts(servos, motors, tx/rx, esc, batteries, lipo sack) B:Money, remember, this is not for me and i am not trying to sound greedy. you can go to my website http://www.rcsupercarz.webs.com/ and im trying to get to $1000. Please donate $5+ through paypal.

So Please Support Me and The RC Club MOST COMMENTS WILL BE RESPONDED TO WITHIN 24HRS OF POSTING!
Sorry I can't donate. But It is great that you are doing this. Me and two of my friends got something going similar but with rc cars at our school. Now every friday afternoon we go to the rc racetrack and drive our cars, during school time
zanek is offline Find More Posts by zanek
Old Nov 04, 2011, 07:12 PM
United States, CA, Fremont
Joined Jul 2011
410 Posts
I just started the process at my high school.
What do you plan to do if someone breaks a plane?
vivcal is offline Find More Posts by vivcal
Old Nov 22, 2011, 06:14 PM
Joined May 2009
302 Posts
This is my second year running "Flight Club" at my school. Here's what I've found:

- Start with LOW numbers. You are only one person and you will be stretched thin to help even 3 groups of students who are building their first plane!
- Have students begin by buildling hand-tossed gliders (no motors, servos, etc.). This will help them get used to working with foam, undersatnding the absolute basics.
- Encourage/allow private ownership of the planes themselves. The club can provide batteries, tx's, (possibly even rx, motors, servos--the "durables") and the tools/expertise to build them, but if the students own the planes then you don't have to worry so much about crashes. Its their plane--they take care of it!
- A quick indoor flight during an assembly is a great way to generate lots of interest.
- Make sure to have a simulator. Require X amount of hours before any "real" flight (I require 1 hour--which is actually quite a while!)

Good luck! It's been a lot of fun.
doughpat is offline Find More Posts by doughpat