HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: What Um should I upgrade to?
UMX Extra 9 25.00%
UMX 4-Site 1 2.78%
PoleCat 12 33.33%
Sukoi XP 7 19.44%
Other 7 19.44%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jul 22, 2011, 01:47 PM
Joined Feb 2011
66 Posts
Discussion
Help me pick my next UM plane

Ok I'm having a hard time picking out my next plane and could use some help.
I flew many years ago and recently just got back into the hobby.

I have a dx6i controller. I started with a night vapor and then moved to a UM T-28.
I love flying both and I'm looking to move up to another plane.

I'm looking for something a step up in performance from the UM T-28. Something that rolls quicker and has enough power for vertical flight (looking to do more acrobatic type stuff and maybe even 3d eventually).

I thought I was sold on the sukoi xp but now I'm thinking maybe umx extra, um 4-site, um polecat. (I realize the polecat isn't exactly in the same class but find it pretty cool and would be interested in racing my buddies so that maybe a future plane purchase but I am still considering it.)

I'd prefer to stay for now with 1s power that I can reuse my current batteries and celectra 4port charger. Eventually I will step up to 2s planes such as an sbach or a umx beast but that is in the future.

I could really use some advice and or opinions. I see right now hh has a fantastic deal on a pnp 4site for like 80 bucks or bnf for 100 with a 4 port celectra. I don't need another charger so if I did go with a 4-site I'd get the pnp. I also see the umx extra bnf basic which is also ready to go sans battery and charger for 120.

Thanks
dfitzsim is offline Find More Posts by dfitzsim
Last edited by dfitzsim; Jul 22, 2011 at 02:59 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 22, 2011, 03:35 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,481 Posts
Extra 300 3D Basic all the way, because you want to do 3D eventually. With that airplane, you'll simply do 3D next week! Only drawback is the fact that it's an indoor plane, or NO WIND outdoor. You have a Vapor, so you know the drill already.

Pole Cat is still new, but review look good so far. 4-Site is cheap, but by the time you learn 3D on it, you'll need a new frame. Sukhoi is a proven airplane, but right now, I would watch the Pole Cat reviews who will be pooring in, just in case.
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Jul 22, 2011, 03:52 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
If you are interested in 3D and live somewhere where the winds are 5mph or less, the Extra 300 all the way.

On a calm day, you won't want to fly anything else.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Jul 22, 2011, 06:55 PM
Joined Feb 2011
66 Posts
Thanks guys. Sounds like the 300 is right up my alley. I've got an indoor gym about the size of 2 or 3 basketball courts that I fly my night vaper in. I tried flying my t-28 in it a few times but it's basically constant circles. Sounds like the 300 would be good there. Also usually there are no winds here so I'll be good flying it outside.

UNGN this comment really sold me from another post:
"If you want to learn Knife edge or inverted flight or hovering, trying to learn on a sukhoi or polecat will more than likely end up with a broken plane after a few flights.

The 300 flies so much slower, so you can see what you are doing and see any mistakes you are making with time to correct them before you crash.

You can have HUGE control throws with the 300 and with a little expo, it doesn't feel twitchy at all.

Once you get the muscle memory down for aerobatics, you can try them on faster, twitchier planes and you'll know what to expect and how to react."
Old Jul 22, 2011, 09:19 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
If I had ready access to a gym I would be there every night with my 300, even if it was only a 1/2 basketball court.

2-3 basketball courts and i would never leave.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Jul 22, 2011, 10:13 PM
Joined Jan 2011
120 Posts
Umx beast
kola is offline Find More Posts by kola
Old Jul 23, 2011, 05:06 AM
Looking4Grass in AZ
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Feb 2011
1,357 Posts
I vote Beast if you HAVE HAVE HAVE to have an UM.
Afraidtoregister is offline Find More Posts by Afraidtoregister
Old Jul 23, 2011, 08:21 AM
Joined Feb 2011
66 Posts
I'll get a beast and sbach eventually but for now I'm trying to stick with 1s power.

UNGN it's a nice facility the only downside is the only times they have open gym for flying is on weekday mornings. So unless I'm off work I can't fly there.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 10:54 AM
Joined Jul 2011
27 Posts
Get the Pole Cat! Check out my quick review on that thread.
RCRobbie is offline Find More Posts by RCRobbie
Old Jul 23, 2011, 01:52 PM
Good Times!
Joined Feb 2011
249 Posts
You can get a splitter for the beast to run on two 1s lipos directly from HH. Idk about the extra tho, I haven't flown it but want to get it next
Micro Budget is offline Find More Posts by Micro Budget
Old Jul 24, 2011, 02:10 AM
7.62x51
United States, LA, Shreveport
Joined Jul 2010
699 Posts
I voted XP. But if you want 3D, UMX 300 since it IS 3D capable.

I have an XP and love it. The only thing I dislike about it is the fact that it is brushed. Eventually, the motor will poop out and I will have to replace it. That's why I'm getting a UMX Beast for my birthday from my wife and the Sbach from my mom! Double score!
ElIntocable is offline Find More Posts by ElIntocable
Old Jul 24, 2011, 06:21 PM
The new guy
Londonderry, NH
Joined Oct 2010
528 Posts
The 4Site is a great deal. You can spend the extra money you save buying some 3mm EPP foam and some 3mm carbon strips. Once you've crashed the 4site too many times you can use the electronics and EPP/carbon to make an Extra-like 3D plane. I've never flown the Extra but I suspect it's a better plane than the 4Site. For 50% money more it had better be.
Chris_F is offline Find More Posts by Chris_F
Old Jul 24, 2011, 07:16 PM
3D, 1D at a time!
United States, TX, Plano
Joined Aug 2010
4,029 Posts
I say either Polecat, or UMX Beast,
Park_aviator is offline Find More Posts by Park_aviator
Old Jul 24, 2011, 07:21 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,019 Posts
I had a 4 SITE and really wasn't happy with it...For a 3D plane with no wind I'm going to buy the 300...

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old Jul 24, 2011, 07:39 PM
I AM SOFA KING WE TODD DID
Iceland, Westfjords, safjrur
Joined Mar 2011
1,126 Posts
1 vote 4 da Pole-cat

I love my 300 umx extra, but if you just want to do 3D down the road, I would get a pole cat.

I fly my 300umx outdoors and it is a blast, but doesn't handle much wind at all.

I would get the Polecat and then get the 300 later....
wavekatcher is offline Find More Posts by wavekatcher