SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 21, 2011, 04:02 PM
Fly Low, Fly 3d, Repair Often
United States, OK, Weatherford
Joined Jun 2011
2,733 Posts
Discussion
how to tell if I have a receiver, esc, or motor problem.

I have the parkzone p-51D. Long story short the battery charge lead was plugged into the receiver batt/bind slot. I replaced the reciever with an AR6110 and now when I bind it to my DX5E I get full function of ailerons and elevator but no response from the throttle. I'm afraid I damaged the ESC or motor when I damaged the receiver but Im not sure how to tell which is the issue and I don't want to guess at it (50 bucks each). So I was hoping someone could tell me ways to test what the issue is.

Thanks so much.

Dave
davebloomer is offline Find More Posts by davebloomer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 21, 2011, 05:47 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,821 Posts
My guess would be motor just not arming. Had you damage the esc by plugging main battery leads in rx the most likely damage to esc would be to the bec portion of the esc. Since the bec still seems to operate the servos I am leaning towards arming problems.

Remove prop then power on radio, move throttle stick to mid position. Power on plane, move the stick to the lowest position to see if it arms if not move it at the top to see if it arms. If it does channels needs to be reversed. If nothing happens in both direction try againbut this time trim the throttle. If that works then you need to reprogram the throttle setting of the esc.
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip
Old Jul 21, 2011, 06:08 PM
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Oct 2007
6,869 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
My guess would be motor just not arming. Had you damage the esc by plugging main battery leads in rx the most likely damage to esc would be to the bec portion of the esc. Since the bec still seems to operate the servos I am leaning towards arming problems.

Remove prop then power on radio, move throttle stick to mid position. Power on plane, move the stick to the lowest position to see if it arms if not move it at the top to see if it arms. If it does channels needs to be reversed. If nothing happens in both direction try againbut this time trim the throttle. If that works then you need to reprogram the throttle setting of the esc.
always move throttle trim to lowest position when doing the ESC test
some want a very low setting and one click too high won't let it arm.
richard hanson is offline Find More Posts by richard hanson
Old Jul 21, 2011, 06:30 PM
Joined Jun 2011
2,733 Posts
doesn't seem to help. thanks for the suggestions though.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 08:35 PM
Joined Jun 2011
2,733 Posts
here is a little more info. the esc is a parkzone 18A brushless 3S 11.1V lipo.

When I plug it in (radio on or off) all the servos, including the motor, still twitch like they did from the factory so I think the motor should be ok..??
Old Jul 21, 2011, 10:59 PM
Suspended Account
Panorama City, CA
Joined Sep 2004
5,566 Posts
You can isolate your problem by substitution of compnents.
Test motor with another good ESC. Likewise, test ESC with another good motor.
You always need extra receiver, ESC and motor handy.
It is all part of your expense. Extra components are needed when trouble develops.
John Kim is offline Find More Posts by John Kim
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)