HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 21, 2001, 12:48 PM
El Queso Grande
Rippin in Hood River, OR, USA
Joined Oct 2000
1,141 Posts
E-fliers near Hood River Oregon?

I'm moving to Hood River for the winter and would like to hook up with any fliers in the area. You can either post here or e-mail me (preferred so I can easily find them).
windsurfer is offline Find More Posts by windsurfer
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 21, 2001, 03:34 PM
KLH
Pack Rat
Hayward CA / Valley Springs CA USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,779 Posts
I don't know how many E flyers you'll find in the area, but you'll find lots of windsurfers on the big Columbia R. there. Should be fun for you.

Kern
KLH is offline Find More Posts by KLH
Old Dec 02, 2001, 12:16 PM
El Queso Grande
Joined Oct 2000
1,141 Posts
Is anyone around here? Anywhere? Portland? Vancouver, WA? The Dalles? ANYWHERE? HELP I NEED FLYING FRIENDS!
Old Dec 02, 2001, 01:02 PM
Registered Snoozer
San Francisco, CA, USA
Joined Jul 1999
6,142 Posts
Hey WS:

Good to hear from you. I went up there once and found it was one of the premier windsurfing sites in the world due to the strong winds. Doesn't sound too promising for e flight! We miss you down here -- hope all is well.

Neil
Neil Morse is online now Find More Posts by Neil Morse
Old Dec 02, 2001, 04:04 PM
El Queso Grande
Joined Oct 2000
1,141 Posts
Hey Neil!
Good to hear from you. I know the reputation that Hood River has gotten, but believe it or not in the winter there is suprisingly little wind. Most of the wind shifts further west and in the last month there have only been a couple of days too windy to fly. Rain and snow are another matter entirely. There's been lots of that so I haven't been flying much lately. Saw someone once nearby flying, but couldn't stop to check it out. The LHS sells some electrics so there ought to be some fliers here, but I haven't found them yet. Been busily house hunting, too. How goes the flying in your parts?
Windsurfer
Old Dec 02, 2001, 04:37 PM
YVR
Sean in YVR (Vancouver)
Vancouver, BC
Joined Sep 2001
276 Posts
W/S -

Keep us posted on what you find! I'm down there a lot in the summer to sail, and a good flying site would certainly help pass the time on those days we get skunked. I don't know what level the river's at in the winter, but if its low enough that you could get out on the sandbar near the Event Site or Marina I'd imagine you could have some fun with a floats setup...
YVR is offline Find More Posts by YVR
Old Dec 02, 2001, 07:43 PM
Heli Bouncer
At the Discount Clambake
Joined Feb 2001
3,931 Posts
Have you checked with the local Portland soaring club, PASS...?

I know they do E-soaring, and they have a slope site on the Oregon side of the gorge, west of the falls.

I may visit my sister from time to time in NE portland, how far from the city are you?
Looooeeee! is offline Find More Posts by Looooeeee!
Old Dec 03, 2001, 12:24 AM
HobbyKing
Hong Kong, Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong
Joined Apr 2001
4,588 Posts
Windsurfer, there are a bunch of us Ezoners from Portland/hillsboro/beaverton. Theres some up in Vancouver, just accross the river. I'm from Hillsboro, but I'm up in Spokane for school, until May.

--Paul "The college student" Susbauer
Paul Susbauer is online now Find More Posts by Paul Susbauer
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 03, 2001, 02:17 AM
Joined May 2000
754 Posts
Windsurfer,

Portland Area Soaring Society

www.monkeytumble.com/pass/

slopeheads and electric fliers, etc.

the hill just east of Hood River is the home of two great slope sites, about 3-4 miles away from Hood river, going toward Mt.Hood.

Eric
partoftheproblm is offline Find More Posts by partoftheproblm
Old Dec 03, 2001, 12:07 PM
El Queso Grande
Joined Oct 2000
1,141 Posts
Thanks for the replies. Any good e-flight shops in Portland? If anyone wants to get together some time to fly please e-mail me. I'd love to meet with you.
Old Dec 03, 2001, 02:54 PM
Castle's Chaos Corner
Olathe, KS (next to the Castle)
Joined Jun 2001
1,649 Posts
Tammys Hobbies is getting more and more eflight stuff, motors, kits, they even have a Supernova in stock. No other LHS has much eflight stuff. Tammys is in Beaverton.

Which subset of eflight are you interested in, slowfliers, sport flying, sailplanes, hotliners, scale all or??

Hood River is a great place for soaring, but you might have to pick your days for slowfliers.

Be sure to check out PASS. It is a great bunch of people, freindly and helpfull.
Bernie Wolfard is offline Find More Posts by Bernie Wolfard
Old Dec 03, 2001, 03:00 PM
El Queso Grande
Joined Oct 2000
1,141 Posts
I do a little of all except scale. Right now my kit is sort of limited but I can be a good spectator, too.
Old Dec 03, 2001, 05:32 PM
H2OFLY
Portland Oregon USA
Joined Feb 2000
2,509 Posts
Well, I'm closer to Hood River than California!

Hi, Windsurfer,

I can't figure out why Anyone would move to Hood River for the winter, unless they are a skiier...but Hey, why do I care?

I live ouside Portland like Paul Susbauer, fly all over the Portland metro area. There are probably 25 electric flyers that I know of, and MANY MORE who fly Indoor Electric or backyard flyers, etc.

You may be gone by July 4th, but...every year, we (Portland Skyknights) has a "XXth annual R/C Seaplane Championship" at Pine Hollow Reservoir, just up the mountain (Hood) fro Hood River...and there is an Electrics contest which is parallel to the i.c. contest. Same events, just different 'fuel.' Last few years, there have been 7-8 different electric guys there...many more electric models, as we all bring more than one!

Anyway, in the Portland Metro area, there's a slug of us...if you get loose on a weekend, email me and I will let you know what's going on, and where.

Terry
temacc is offline Find More Posts by temacc