HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 21, 2001, 12:45 PM
El Queso Grande
Rippin in Hood River, OR, USA
Joined Oct 2000
1,141 Posts
Floating Cube? Not quite!

So many months after I posted my original request for a travelling model I see the plans for the floating cube and couldn't help thinking that it was ALMOST what I was looking for. A quick trip to a kite website and suddenly I know what to do next. Picked up a small Prism triad (just like the cube with only 3 sides) and got together my Litestik gear and soon I'll have my travelling plane. I'm going to use a v-tail setup on the bottom sides of the kite and a fixed prop. All equipment will sit on the bottom corner so it should be very stable in flight. Not quite as innovative as the cube but it glides really well and should fly nicely. I'll post a flight test but it'll have to wait since I move next week.
windsurfer is offline Find More Posts by windsurfer
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 21, 2001, 01:12 PM
AMA 697691
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Aug 2000
8,406 Posts
Please post a picture too, if you can.
Greg Covey is offline Find More Posts by Greg Covey
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Greg's Web Hangar
Old Dec 02, 2001, 12:13 PM
El Queso Grande
Joined Oct 2000
1,141 Posts
Well, the floating Triad is nearly there. Since I'm just throwing together odds and ends left over from previous planes this will be quite the frankenplane, but it looks good so far. I'm using REALLY big control surfaces (3 inches wide) with cut-outs so they wont interfere with each other as the V is quite sharp. Will use elevon mixing and my Focus III FM TX with a Hitec Feather RX, 2 sub-micro servos, the litestick powerplant and ESC, and two MallWart 9v NiMH batteries. Should be finished today, but there may be a delay before I can give a flight report. I'll see if I can find someone near here with a digital camera so I can take some pics and post them. I have no idea what the AUW is like, but it shouldn't be too much as the Kite is pretty light.
Old Dec 04, 2001, 07:22 PM
El Queso Grande
Joined Oct 2000
1,141 Posts
First flight report: A big downer as the "fuse" broke due to the CG being too far back. Not really knowing how to set up the CG on this plane I "winged" it and was way off. It loops really well, though. Seems to have enough power and I think I'm on the right track. Still it remains to be fixed and tried again, though it'll have to wait for the rain to stop so I should be able to try again in March or April, ha, ha.