HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 20, 2011, 09:04 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2011
3,324 Posts
Build Log
My own Gentle Lady

A couple weeks ago we went to an RC airshow. We were amazed and amused at the variety, and found new friends with the local glider club, SBSS.

It did not take much convincing to send us over the the LHS right after the show to buy a GL kit.

An hour here, a couple hours there, an infrequent marathon like today (colds suck, but they give you lots of time to build), and here is where I stand. I have both wings and the tail assembled, and am about ready to add the tips of the wings, shape them, and combine the two halves. After that, it's time to move on to the fuselage. Yay!

If you see a grouse tail, I am using it as a fan to keep the glue fumes at bay. Stinky stuff!
Lil Stinkpot is offline Find More Posts by Lil Stinkpot
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 20, 2011, 09:15 PM
Pimpsac
Joined Jul 2011
14 Posts
Nice going bro always fun to follow a build. Keep us updated on this aerocraft
Pimpsac is offline Find More Posts by Pimpsac
Old Jul 20, 2011, 09:24 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpsac View Post
Nice going bro always fun to follow a build. Keep us updated on this aerocraft
You mean Sis, right? Ayup, I'm a gal! Not too many RC gals flying around here, actually.

I will definitely keep ya'll posted.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 10:35 PM
Full Scale Better! UOHHHH!
United States, TX, Lytle
Joined Dec 2006
396 Posts
Who woulda guessed by your moniker???? Glad to see someone of the female persuasion getting into RC'ing and gliding!
Phoebusflyer is offline Find More Posts by Phoebusflyer
Old Jul 20, 2011, 10:43 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,324 Posts
LOL! Good point.

Maybe I can adjust the custom moniker.

Thanks for the warm welcome, folks!

~~~Edit~~~

Fixed.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 11:39 PM
Segelflugzeug esgeht nach oben
Virginia - Birthplace of Presidents
Joined Jan 2003
306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Stinkpot View Post
LOL! Good point.

Maybe I can adjust the custom moniker.

Thanks for the warm welcome, folks!

~~~Edit~~~

Fixed.
Well, you could always call yourself "Gentle Lady", but then I don't presume to know you.

Nice job on the wing!

Tell us you're going to cover it in pink monokote.....LOL.
AllThumbs is offline Find More Posts by AllThumbs
Old Jul 21, 2011, 12:00 AM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
7,133 Posts
Mr. Thumbs:

Let her cover it in any color she wants. It's not fair to expect anyone to do the Shirley Muldowney thing until they at least have had a chance to develop a few skills. Besides, dark colors show up better.
----------
Ms. Stinkpot:

Suggest that you might be better off using Titebond for all the close fitting joints. Cyanoacrylate is pretty irritating stuff, and I suspect it will aggravate your cold. If you MUST use cyanoacrylate, use good ventilation and a small desk fan to get rid of the fumes. Or have one of your minions keep the grouse tail moving continuously.

Maybe you already know this, but slow epoxy is generally stronger than quick epoxy. It is also much less likely to create a smoking ruin in the mixing container during hot weather. Unless you go to a larger container.

The GL is a good beginner's glider.

If you don't already know how to fly some kind of RC, you may find crrcsim useful. Look up the Yahoo Group by that name for more info. It's free. I know the guys who developed it, and it depicts my home field, so I may be biased.

Lincoln
who once bought a glider that had some pink Monokote on it.
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 21, 2011, 12:01 AM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllThumbs View Post
Well, you could always call yourself "Gentle Lady", but then I don't presume to know you.

Nice job on the wing!

Tell us you're going to cover it in pink monokote.....LOL.
Hah! No, that wouldn't suit me at all. I'm only gentle when working with balsa.

Here is my proposed color scheme: white and transparent purple.

Actually, I am a big supporter and fan of the Susan G. Komen foundation. Don't put it past me to make a hot pink sloper later.
Last edited by Lil Stinkpot; Jul 21, 2011 at 12:13 AM. Reason: Added a thought
Old Jul 21, 2011, 12:07 AM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincoln View Post
Mr. Thumbs:

Let her cover it in any color she wants. It's not fair to expect anyone to do the Shirley Muldowney thing until they at least have had a chance to develop a few skills. Besides, dark colors show up better.
----------
Ms. Stinkpot:

Suggest that you might be better off using Titebond for all the close fitting joints. Cyanoacrylate is pretty irritating stuff, and I suspect it will aggravate your cold. If you MUST use cyanoacrylate, use good ventilation and a small desk fan to get rid of the fumes. Or have one of your minions keep the grouse tail moving continuously.

Maybe you already know this, but slow epoxy is generally stronger than quick epoxy. It is also much less likely to create a smoking ruin in the mixing container during hot weather. Unless you go to a larger container.

The GL is a good beginner's glider.

If you don't already know how to fly some kind of RC, you may find crrcsim useful. Look up the Yahoo Group by that name for more info. It's free. I know the guys who developed it, and it depicts my home field, so I may be biased.

Lincoln
who once bought a glider that had some pink Monokote on it.
I wish I was told that before I started building. I am sure the CA is what let the cold get a foothold. Now I know, and next time I'll use better glue. Trust me to believe the guy at the model shop, LOL! I have taken steps to reduce the fumes, now.

For some reason, I can't get crrcsim to work on my PC. I have it set to use the keyboard, but I still have no control of my plane.

I have something better than crrcsim, anyways. I have the SBSS buddy boxes, trainers and helpers to guide me. It's been fun! They say that I'm doing so well, I may be the one to maiden my own plane.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 02:08 AM
csc
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Apr 2004
251 Posts
Quote:
NICE! That will look great.
csc is offline Find More Posts by csc
Old Jul 21, 2011, 11:55 AM
Joined Dec 2001
7,133 Posts
If you had to choose, having those people out at the field is clearly the better choice, but I don't think they'd want to help you fly on some day when it's raining cats and dogs. It's too awkward using the keyboard. I've been flying gliders for years and years, but I can't do it with the keyboard. You can probably get a USB cable that can connect to your transmitter. There's some kind of setup where you can assign channels, I think, but compared to the people on the Yahoo Group, I know nothing! On the other hand, if you're making good progress, maybe the sim wouldn't do that much for you.

As far as the glue goes, it's not a matter of better or worse glues, it's just they each have advantages and disadvantages. Most people use CA, but I think you can go about as fast with Titebond and similar if you plan things out and have one assembly setting while you work on the other. Any good quality yellow carpenter's glue is fine. I favor Titebond 3, but unless it's lost in the woods and rained on, you don't need the water resistance. Just remember that it doesn't sand all that well. But then, neither does CA. On the other hand, if you're gluing to metal or plastic, carpenter's glue is useless.

Some other advantages of carpenter's glue:
-It's much cheaper and it doesn't tend to go bad quite as fast, though it does go bad. (don't let it freeze)
-Easier to get that stuff off your fingers and it won't glue them together.
-Won't glue your foot to the floor if you spill it when you're barefoot in a room with a wood floor and your housemates are all elsewhere.
-Probably not a disaster if it gets in your eye. I knew a guy who had this happen. He said it was like having sand in his eye for 3 days.
-If you apply and let dry, it can be a heat activated adhesive. For ironing on sheeting, for instance.

BTW, when I'm trying to apply a small amount of glue, whether CA or carpenter's glue, I like to put a small amount in a plastic bottle cap and apply with a toothpick. For CA, a needle with half the eye ground off is supposed to be a good applicator, but I tried it so long ago I don't remember. You can burn off the gunk as long as you don't breath any of the fumes. Carpenter's glue may dry out after a while in the cap.

It may be a good idea to quit now. By the time you catch a few more thermals, you may be hooked for life.
Quote:
I wish I was told that before I started building. I am sure the CA is what let the cold get a foothold. Now I know, and next time I'll use better glue. Trust me to believe the guy at the model shop, LOL! I have taken steps to reduce the fumes, now.

For some reason, I can't get crrcsim to work on my PC. I have it set to use the keyboard, but I still have no control of my plane.

I have something better than crrcsim, anyways. I have the SBSS buddy boxes, trainers and helpers to guide me. It's been fun! They say that I'm doing so well, I may be the one to maiden my own plane.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 21, 2011, 11:58 AM
Joined Dec 2001
7,133 Posts
P.S. Nice sketch. Freehand? Should be a good color scheme. For some reason, the texture in the paper makes it kind of look like a tattoo!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 21, 2011, 12:19 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,324 Posts
Thanks, Lincoln!

The sketch is a tracing off the manual cover; the color lines freehand. The texture you are seeing is the crayon. Hey, it's the first thing I picked up, and was the right color. Add to that the bad lighting off the cell-phone cam, and some subsequent photo editing, and you have a really tattoo-y image.

I thought I was being extra careful with the CA, but I guess not careful enough. Since I am nearly finished with it, I'll glue in that last spar, using better ventilation, and then I am going to finish everything else with some 30-minute epoxy, as originally planned. I have had experience with epoxy before, at least; it's kinda fun. Good choice for gluing the dihedral joint and the fuselage doublers.

The next build will definitely omit CA. That stuff is going into my repair box.

I have no controller yet. I won't be able to get one for at least two paychecks. For right now, it's keyboard or nothing. Hey, besides, it's California! It's not going to rain again until September or October. I'll be flying my own bird by then.

There is a great VR program down at the LHS, I just need to save up a few dollars to buy it. It has it's own dedicated controller, too.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 01:17 PM
Speed cost money.
United States, FL, Marathon
Joined Dec 2002
3,045 Posts
Quote:
Hah! No, that wouldn't suit me at all. I'm only gentle when working with balsa.

Actually, I am a big supporter and fan of the Susan G. Komen foundation. Don't put it past me to make a hot pink sloper later.
Not a gentle Lady but I just finished this with the color scheme your aiming for.

Highflier

BTW I like what you are doing to the fuse for color better the what I did, White with pin stripes.
Maybe your next glider can be the sophisticated lady
highflier is offline Find More Posts by highflier
Old Jul 21, 2011, 01:26 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,324 Posts
That's the look I'm talking about! Nice bird.

I chose purple mainly because of a Fling I saw that was all purple, and because I think it'll stand out, to my eyes anyways, the best against all surfaces. The white makes a beautiful contrast.