HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Sep 06, 2003, 08:47 AM
Smooth Air
Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada
Joined Apr 2003
1,500 Posts
Electrical tape on the cowl..hmmm..good idea...
Morb is offline Find More Posts by Morb
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 06, 2003, 08:48 AM
Non Practicing A&P Tech
Tampa, Florida, United States
Joined Aug 2003
2,330 Posts
Now I have a question for all the experts out there:

Can everyone post what motor set-ups they are using with some details that will make it easy for anyone of us to duplicate the set-up.

I like the M-100 but am I understanding right in that I need to get a GWS 300 gear box to mount it in?

There is a ton of information on this here but it's all in bits and pieces and it's all "experts" talking and debating between themselves about this or that.

That leaves us green peas (that's a newbie with some experience) in the dark. What I think we need to know is the motor, the best prop, typical draw on amps which will dictate power source and size, what modifications have to be made to make it work, your experience with that set-up etc.

If there are already coherent posts/threads with useful information than how about some links to them. I search and read and search and read..... and still don't know enough to say for example "...I am going to use xyz motor with x size prop and abc batteries because this will last longer than the stock motor, or give me more power, or give me longer flight time, etc...

Any ideas?
dulcelife is offline Find More Posts by dulcelife
Last edited by dulcelife; Sep 06, 2003 at 08:57 AM.
Old Sep 06, 2003, 08:55 AM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
United States, LA, Monroe
Joined Mar 2003
5,978 Posts
Dulcelife,
I'm running stock - I don't think that is what you are looking for.
Good photos on your work. On the split fuselage, I do have a suggestion. Yellow seam binding tape from any sewing place or walmart. The color matches very closely, and with a light layer of epoxy, it is extremely hard. Kind of like a lite fiberglass cloth. The fact that it is the same color is what I wanted.

LcJ
LcJ is offline Find More Posts by LcJ
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Logger's Eye One Xtreme Quad
Old Sep 06, 2003, 08:58 AM
Non Practicing A&P Tech
Joined Aug 2003
2,330 Posts
LcJ,

Thanks, that is an excellent idea!

Luis
Old Sep 06, 2003, 09:05 AM
Smooth Air
Joined Apr 2003
1,500 Posts
You guys inspired me!!!!

I found the PERFECT way to either tape together the cowl upon construction, or fix it. It's cheap and alot stronger than conventional gluing.

The cowl was a bug in my craw, as I'm practicing on the TM all the moth tricks I can, with touch and goes, and tree slaloming. Now, of course since I'm such a rookie flyer, accidents happen, and it always seems that the cowl takes the most damage. It was also a HUGE pain in the butt to put together.

Found the solution.

I just ordered me a Wizzz from www.zebrahobby.com. Now, I never ever wanted a flying wing, but I saw Martin fly his...(see video of it here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...68#post1270768 ) and thought, what the heck can't go wrong for the price. Along with the kit, I ordered two colours of tape....red.......and BLACK.

I was just doing my early morning read after work on the Tigermoth thread, saw the electrical tape comment on fixing the cowl, thought to myself."Hey, wouldn't that be a little heavy" Then realized, I just got my Wizzz in, I'll rip open the box, grab that Zagi type tape, and see how it works.

This tape is LIGHT and goes on perfectly on the cowl. In fact, it looks even better than before, all shiny and new!

www.zebrahobby.ca/cgi-bin/click/click.cgi?id=37

I only wish I had this stuff when I first constructed the cowl.

Geof.
Old Sep 06, 2003, 09:26 AM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
United States, LA, Monroe
Joined Mar 2003
5,978 Posts
Geof and Luis,
i think the whole purpose of all of this is to get us thinking out of the box. everybody has great ideas and then someone else can take that idea and make it better. if we share, it gives us options, and a lot of what we need may already be available, we just never thought about using it. i have learned so much from so many. Besides, it is fun to see what other people are doing.

flying is part of the fun, but tinkering is also fun. I hate to admit it, but a successful rebuild also carries a lot of joy.

I have already learned something from both of you.

LcJ
LcJ is offline Find More Posts by LcJ
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Logger's Eye One Xtreme Quad
Old Sep 06, 2003, 09:45 AM
Non Practicing A&P Tech
Joined Aug 2003
2,330 Posts
To me the ultimate beauty is the technology that allows us to instantly access each others small world in the dens, the garages, the work room, even the kitchen tables of the world for some, and exchange a wealth of information; be they concepts, opinions or methods. The principle, major, most valuable benefit is that something that works poor, good or great can be duplicated instantly across oceans.

The world has definately become a smaller place. I never imagined in a million years I would be gleaning a piece of useful information from a new friend in a distant island (Tasmania).

I for one have always hated and abhord chat rooms and IMing as a useless waste of time and energy. But how different it is when you have a community with shared interests.

I'm loving it, and BTW bottom line is you can't get this from any amount of books. I tried that too!!!

Peace ALL,

Luis~
Old Sep 06, 2003, 04:44 PM
Charlotte Douglas, NC
Joined Sep 2003
3,017 Posts
Well, I have everything together now except putting the wing on. I am letting the last epoxy dry for a few minutes and I will be attaching the wing to the fusalage shortly. I doubt if I will be able to fly today as the wind is staying up around 5-10 mph and I really want to maiden this on a nice calm day. If it does die down in the next couple hours I may have a short flight story to tell everyone =)

Oh, and yes, I think I did the newbie mistake and used alot of epoxy in certain places to help "crash proof" it. lets hope I didnt use to much.

I wish I had something that I could weigh this thing with.

Thanks for all the help.

DD
DoomsDay is offline Find More Posts by DoomsDay
Old Sep 06, 2003, 05:01 PM
Non Practicing A&P Tech
Joined Aug 2003
2,330 Posts
Doomsday:

Don't sweat it which is easier said than done from personal experience.

Good luck.

Luis~
Old Sep 06, 2003, 06:41 PM
Smooth Air
Joined Apr 2003
1,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DoomsDay
I wish I had something that I could weigh this thing with.

DD
DD,

Your local post office has precise scales. Go down in the morning, before the rush gets there. They may give you a funny look at first, but they will weigh it for you, and give you precise weights.

After a while, they'll get used to you, and just as excited about what new toys you're bringing in to weigh.

Geof.
Old Sep 06, 2003, 07:25 PM
Charlotte Douglas, NC
Joined Sep 2003
3,017 Posts
Hehe, thanks guys. Well, i dont know what the weight is, but we can add some lite dirt to it now. My story begins:

I arrived at the baseball field with nobody around at all (woohoo), and unloaded my gear and my wife and kid =). Sorry, she forgot the camera so i couldnt get any pictures.

This is going to show you how stupid I am. I looked at the elevator and felt it was way off so I went into the controller and adjusted the trim until I thought it looked even. was around -30 that I felt it was even (yeah I know you shouldnt go past 20 without adjusting the arm itself), anyway. ok, it looks nice and level.

I decided for a ROG takeoff, and off it went. straight down the baseball diamond, I pull back on the stick and nothing, it wont get lift. hit the grass and noseover. I decide, ok, I gave it to much trim, and decided that my eye was just way off. I took out all the trim and took down the runway again. I pull back on the stick and nothing, noseover in the grass.

Ok, so what did I do wrong I thought. Ahh, lets try this again, I taxi down the runway and push forward on the stick, LIFTOFF! ok, back down to the ground, hit the grass, noseover.

back into the radio, reverse the elevator servo, taxi down the diamond, pull back on the stick LIFTOFF. I fly it straight about 100 feet out and 6-10 feet off the ground, uhoh, gust of wind taking it to the left. ok, left rudder, a little up elevator she flys right back at me and I touch down 5 feet away from me. Heart pounding, hands shaking and a smile from ear to ear.

Mind you, I just couldnt wait. The wind looked like it had died down and when I got there it was calm and gust, calm and gust. So I decided I just had to go through with it.

I cant say that I was ever in the air for more then 1 minute at a time and I never got above about 20 feet off the ground unless a wind gust pushed it up and then thats usually when i was at around 20 feet.

I had many many noseovers, hit the ground twice on its side and did ALOT of walking to retrieve my plane from the to tall grass on the baseball field.

I had at least 20 ROG takeoffs and small 1 minute flights. I was able to turn the plane and land it near me (within 20 feet or so) 4 times. That was what worried me the most. I never was good at landing in simulators or any flight games but this thing just FLOATS right in.

Damage:
None
Well, ok, I lost the piece of rubber that goes around one of the wheels somewhere about half way through the close to 45 minutes of wonderfull bliss.

I am having a hard time telling since I was getting gusts of wind, but I do believe she tends to vear slightly off to the left when trying to fly straight. My next flight I will wait for a no wind day and test that again.

I never once competed a full circle around me, I did however almost do a figure 8 (not intentionally hehe) On my last flight I had decided that I was going to do a full circle around me and try to land it. well, I took off, went out about 100 feet out and started to vear to the left, as I was vearing to the left a gust of wind hit it and drove it much further left then I wanted it to, so now I am looking at the plane from the side, so what the heck, I give it a little gas and vear it to the right. bring it around to my side, and give it more right and had it coming right at me, ease off the throttle, a little elevator and a nice rolling touchdown. yet another grin from ear to ear and complete hapiness that I had my first flight without any major problems. My wife was also happy that I was able to bring it home in one piece after all the money I spent on it =)

I got home about 30 minutes ago and I am still shaking from the excitement. oh the joy of the Tiger Moth. You were right, you almost cant build this thing to not fly. I know good and well that I made alot of mistakes in building and if you look at one of my outer struts, it is not level at all and actually bends to the left. I had applied so much epoxy to the bottom of it, there is no way I can unstick it to straighten it out, but the way it flew today, I dont think it really matters to much at this early stage.

BTW, I ended up going to the hobby shop today and bought me an 8.4v 350MAH nimh battery (Im still going to go to LiPo's, but wanted something with more flight time in the short term) and let me say, even with all my 30 second to 1 minute flights, I got at least 30 minutes out of that battery. I never ran it at full power other then to try and get myself out of jams.

Now, I need to ask a question. I put the rudder on the left stick with the throttle. Going strictly by the pattern that the gws instructions said. According to it, rudder is on the left stick and ailerons are on the right. The question is, Should I leave it on that setup and get used to it that way or should I put it on the right stick?

I had alot of problems trying to turn and would either give it to much throttle or not enough throttle and it made me do alot of walking to get my plane, although thats not a bad thing, I need the excercise =)

Thanks for all the help guys. I can see now, that I am going to enjoy the Tiger Moth more then I could ever have expected.

DD
Old Sep 06, 2003, 08:02 PM
Go Forward, but Remember
Pawling NY
Joined Oct 2002
944 Posts
Most people perform the lion's share of the turning "bank and yank." That's with aileron and elevator. The rudder is used to make the turn coordinated (look pretty). My Moth has the rudder and elevator on the right stick, throttle all alone.
reills is offline Find More Posts by reills
Old Sep 06, 2003, 08:09 PM
Burnin' holes in the sky!
Gilbert, AZ
Joined May 2003
2,848 Posts
Sounds like you are having fun Even crashing planes is a heap of fun

My recommendation for the rudder is to put it on both sticks. I don't know the radio you have, but most computer radios have a personal mixer in them. If you have the rudder in the channel 4 slot on the receiver, than you would use 1>4 mixing, 1 being the master and 4 being the slave. The rate should be 100 percent each way. This way, you can learn both aileron and rudder at the same time. Funny, I don't know of anyone else who has done it that way, but I like it much better that way.

Dan
SkyPyro is offline Find More Posts by SkyPyro
Old Sep 06, 2003, 08:13 PM
Non Practicing A&P Tech
Joined Aug 2003
2,330 Posts
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

You did it. I am glad to see you had success and especially glad you vindicated yourself with the Mrs.

I started with the rudder on right stick and now have it on both by mixing rudder into aileron although I have none. If you have mixing then do this. Keep it on the left and have rudder mixed 100% on the right to get you out of a tight jam.

Try to learn rudder on your left because when you move the an aileron plane you will not have to re-learn flying like I am having to.

Great story and keep up the good work.

BTW, best to learn in complete calm. Then you will learn what the plane is doing and not the wind which you can tackle later!

Luis~
Old Sep 06, 2003, 09:15 PM
Charlotte Douglas, NC
Joined Sep 2003
3,017 Posts
ok, its a couple hours later and I am still grinning =)

Another question for you. I flew mine today without the cowl on it. will that hurt the plane any? basically, I am going to velcro or magnet mine on, but I am currently out of both so I just left it off for its maiden flight. hopefully it wont hurt it at all.

Thanks again guys. still cant believe something that is a childs toy can make a full grown man so happy.

DD
Closed Thread